1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have the inside scoop on Yamaha 2016 ??

Discussion in 'General' started by RGV 500, Aug 18, 2015.

1. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Basically, my question is: Will there be a 2016 R1M or is the 2015 bike the only one ?

TIA for any help.

2. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

3. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

this thread has potential. :D

4. RGV 500

RGV 500 OLD, but still FAST

Thank you.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Judging by the amount of resources the racing department in this country has put into it, I'd say it will be around for a little while, plus it's a damn good bike out of the box, so no need for any generational changes.

6. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Said Suzuki, circa 2005. :D

7. FD3SA

FD3SA Member

All it needs is clutchless downshifting from the factory and it's the perfect bike. Till then the beemer has the edge.

8. Very well played. :D

Yeah, I don't see Yamaha making ANY changes for 2016. They just released a ground-up redesign and are still in the process of developing the current bike. I don't see them making any changes next year at all. I would even be surprised if they added the clutchless downshifting.

9. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Well-Known Member

What is the "S" version then, the budget customer builder's special?

-T

10. jeffr1ey

i figured this would be more of R6 discussion (triple vs. in-line 4) than an R1 discussion. especially considering the R1 is still fairly new.

i know everyone thinks that a R6 triple is on the horizon, but I just can't imagine them moving away from the in-line which has been so dominant, at least in the US market.

11. I think it is only so dominant because there aren't as many 675's around. The 675 has proven to be just as competitive.

There is a lot to be said for torque, and more so mechanical grip. If you look at the 1000cc Superbike and Superstock classes, it isn't uncommon for 10-12 of the top 15 bikes to be something other than conventional I4's (Twins, V4's and Crossplane 4's).

The problem is that the smaller the bike, the more HP matters. You can easily make up a 15hp difference on a Liter bike with handling, lighter weight, improved brakes and track management/skills. A 205hp bike exceeds the limits of physics due to wheelespin and wheelies. A 190hp has the same issues, just not quite as bad. So between those 2 bikes it is more a matter of how little they exceed the limits of physics, rather than pure acceleration. And you won't reach the ultimate top speed of any of those bikes on the tracks we race on.

On a MW bike, you will have your hands full trying to make up a 15hp deficit because you aren't exceeding the limits of physics; with that deficit you are seeing a true tangible difference in acceleration and top speed.

And it is more difficult and more expensive to get competitive HP out of a V4 or Twin.

12. jeffr1ey

all good points. i just figured we would have heard something at this point other than rumors. i guess we will see in the coming months.

13. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I don't think anyone actually answered the OP's question yet???

He asked is Yamaha going to release another batch of THIS version of the R1 again in 2016 or is the limited run of 2015 models all that are available?

[​IMG]

14. Damnit. Now I want one.

Is the R1M WERA Superstock legal?

15. alan

alan Well-Known Member

Our Yamaha rep said the "M" would be back for 2016 in limited #'s like it was for 2015.

16. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Isn't the production requirement 1,000 bikes? I know it's in the rulebook.