1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have some '04 R1 triples they could measure?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by 12pointRacing, Nov 3, 2004.

1. 12pointRacing

12pointRacing two-stroke potato peeler

Specifically, I am curious what the accurate stem dimensions are and what the fork tube sizes for the upper/lower mounts of the R1 triples are. Anyone have this information?

Looking to graft an '04 front end onto an '03 R6 - are the steering head bearings even close?? Possibly looking at the part numbers would help inform this question...

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Stering head bearings and seals are the same. Should not be a problem.

3. 12pointRacing

Thanks Darrin - this is a good start. Now to find out if the stems are close to the same length...

4. dtalbott

Here's a better start.

The fork seals are the same part number. Keep the R6 triples, slide in the R1 forks and all.

5. 12pointRacing

'03/04 R6 forks are not USD forks like the '05.

What I am imagining here is Yamaha simply bolted up the R1 front end to an R6 chassis - thus the triples on the 2005 R6 are identical to the previus R1s in terms of fork tube size. (offset surely must be different).

so, if I had some 2005 R6 triples, this would be easy - and is exactly what you are suggesting. :) Problem is the bone yards will not have '05s for quite some time, and I have '03/'04 triples on the bike now...

How much are 2005 triples new?

-d

6. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Probably old news to you, but with the pre 03 R6 it was possible to press the steering stem out of the R6 lower clamp and install it into the pre 04 R1 lower clamp.

This might work with later model R6's and R1's as well, I just haven't seen it (yet).

7. dtalbott

And that's what I get for just looking at the fork seals. Sorry.

No part numbers yet for the '05's.

8. 12pointRacing

I bet they are around the same as the 2004 R1 triples...what is the cost on those? :)

9. dtalbott

Bottom triple MSRP $279.95
    Upper crown MSRP $112.95

PM me for a better price.

No bet on whether they are the same.

10. 12pointRacing

This is all I need to know.

Basically - if they do work, they are MUCH more cost effective than Graves/Attack/etc triples...

I will PM you when ready to place the order. :)

-d