1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone have any experience with racing GNCC?

Discussion in 'General' started by bodell, Oct 8, 2014.

1. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

I have been on a dirt bike hiatus from road racing for a few years and have got the itch to grid up.

My web searching has led me to GNCCracing.com. Has anyone raced with a harescramble/enduro club racing org? Something like WERA, and in the southeast area. Any thoughts or advice?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Had some local guys running some GNCC stuff as well as some local stuff. It's pretty fun really, I went to a 24 at Perry Mountain that was a blast.

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

(Greg) Melka has done some of that stuff I believe. I'd check with him. He could at least point you in the right direction.

5. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

I ran a few GNCC rounds. It's Pro but very grass roots. We ran a round in central Ohio a few years back. It was presented as an International Championship Finale..... It was the same guys as most the other rounds lol

Pay for your license and have at it.

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Thumpertalk.com

7. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

I'll be doing the ironman here in a couple weeks!

8. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

9. 771Doug

771Doug V6HW #686

When I worked at the dealership we had a few customers that were into it. Those guys sure seemed to show up with casts very often.

10. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

We have three big rounds close to us. When I looked into it, cheap and fun. Lots of trees and rocks etc.. Looks fun as hell unless you at behind one of those 700cc quads throwing boulders at you

11. gsxr1000bill

gsxr1000bill Well-Known Member

Race several semi local series! Ixcr, maxc, and will be racing the gncc ironman in a couple weeks! Also hit some of the smaller series races occasionally! Can't beat the fun for the cost!

12. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

Hey Brad

NCHSA

:up:

13. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

with GNCC, you will have to do a considerable amount of traveling. there is likely to be a state/regional club that runs harescrambles and/or enduros locally to you. Here in Florida, we have FTR (Florida Trail Riders). Sanctioned events, full season, and you don't leave the state for harescrambles. the enduro tends to cover a little wider geographic area, but not too awful far.. not like the GNCC would.

It's a blast. Harescrambles and enduros are a little different natually. HS is like a 2 hour motocross race. Dead engine start, like gncc, but unlike gncc where you start sitting on the bike, in hs you run to the bike Lemans style. Lots of classes, including age classes if you are over 35. Enduro has check points and is a longer event. Arrive at the check points early (if you are fast) and you get a little break at each one. Cool thing about enduro, you only see the course 1 time. in hs you do a 3-6+ laps depending.. and it's start to finish race. Not a reset at each checkpoint like enduro.

I'm sure there is a club in your area that sanctions the events.

14. stymie12000

stymie12000 Well-Known Member

I raced the ironman a few years back. It rained something like two inces a day or two before the race. Toughest thing I have ever done. I have so much respect for anyone who has raced this race.

15. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I've raced 4 GNCCs, awesome experience. I just hit a few a year when I was into it. I hope to get back to them one of these days. Go have fun and have the goal of finishing and then go from there. Stymie you off-road do yah?

16. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

Raced GNCC, NHS, Qualifier, Nat Enduro, Mid South HS, AMA dist 10 and 11 hare scrambles. 1993-1999

Much prefer the local district racing over the GNCC mainly due to the sheer number of riders. The Qualifier series (ISDE format) was easily the most fun.

17. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

GNCC is more like a semi pro race. They do the amateurs in the morning (2 hour race) and the pros in the afternoon but the competition is typically a pretty high level and the courses tend to be a bit more chewed up depending upon conditions. They run all over the east coast so if there is one nearby, by all means go do it, but as a series goes, I'd stick with something local.

see if there's a local HS series. I know in GA we have SETRA and SORCS for hare scrambles. pretty similar but some minor differences in the series and how they are run.

If you don't mind a drive, Highland Park resort in Cedartown GA (about an hour west of ATL) is having a Zombie Hare Scramble race on Sunday Oct 26th. It's a very fun and easy course, and pretty laid back riders and classes. They even have an ADV class for 650+cc street legal bikes so if any of you guys want to come and race a big bike, bring it on. I've raced my 950 in two of them so far and it's a hoot. Kinda wears ya out after 2 hours of pushing the pig around, but it's still fun and the course is semi kind to big bikes. I'll be racing my 950 again, so come on out! One friend even rented a KTM 350 XC-W and raced it, then spent the rest of the day riding their trails. Where else can you rent a bike for $140 and race it?? :) The rent most of the two and four stroke bikes. try before ya buy.

other than that, find your local HS series and give it a shot. they are usually very beginner friendly.

18. bodell

bodell Green Racing Advocate

Thanks guys. Just what I needed.