1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone good with excel?

Discussion in 'General' started by rowe748, Jan 5, 2011.

1. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

I need to take a name from 2 cells and make it equal one string in another with last name then first name. For example John in A1 and Smith in B1 I need them to look like "Smith, John" including the comma and quotations. So far i've got =PROPER(B1&", "&A1) but I cannot figure out how to enter quotations into the formula. Thanks for any help.

2. klebs01

klebs01 Well-Known Member

Why don't you just add " and , to two cells and and just concatenate. so if John is A2 and Smith is B2, add " to A1 and , to B1 and enter: =$A$1&B2&$B$1&A2&$A$1

Then you can just fill down.

Edit: You can also use the "proper" function (i.e. =proper($A$1&B2&$B$1&A2&$A$1)) if you need to.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

=proper(concatenate("""",b1,",",a1,""""))

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I thought I was but it turns out I'm friggin horrible at it. Ended up having to type in two columns with 965 lines each of individual numbers.

Nope, I'm damn bad with excel. Even worse with word.

5. klebs01

=proper(""""&b1&","&a1&"""")

learning something new today.

6. rowe748

rowe748 Well-Known Member

klebs the last one did it perfectly, thanks alot.

7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

=concatenate("""",b1,",",a1,"""") works as well.

8. scotth

scotth Banned

Adding to the thread...

I've got a column of numbers used as type IDs from 1 to 25,000. I need to add leading zeros so that each cell in the column has the same number of digits. "1" becomes "00001", "25" becomes "00025", and so on.

Anybody had to do this before?

9. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

If value of a1 is 0 or 1 add this to the value of b1:
    =RIGHT("00000" & A1, 5) I think.
    You should get 00000 or 00001. After that just click and drag it all the way down.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  10. klebs01

Can also just format cells, custom, and type 00000. Then apply the format to all the cells.

11. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Yeah I gues that works too. :eek: