1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone freestyle or race BMX?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jordan, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

i was thinking about getting back into it after 10 years. either race, street/park, or maybe both. I really dont know really where to begin bike wise. I was seeing if anyone in here rides, and give me some advice on what bike to start back on. Not back in the 80's you old guys. Im talkin about now! :beer: i was lookin on danscomp.com for one.

2. Chip

Chip Registered

It hurts more now for sure....

Any of the high end stuff is good. Its not nearly as complicated as buying a high end mountain bike...

I have this:
    http://www.harobikes.com/bmx/bikes/f-series/f4/

3. eboos

eboos Slowski

I had to stop riding freestyle (street and park mostly) back in 2003 after screwing up my knee one too many times. I rode for Odyssey and Dan's Comp for a long time. Odyssey makes everything that you will need except a frame. For that, I rode a Kink Freebird (Ryan Sure's frame).

Frame companies that I would recommend: Standard (rode for them for a while too) or Kink.

Companies that I would avoid: Volume (bent the frame in record time).

This advise is circa 2003. Things may have changed.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  4. glenngsxr

glenngsxr Well-Known Member

Oh man, this brings back some memories. I used to be sponsored by Diamondback for flatland. Not a huge following, but some cool shit, nonetheless. Missed the x-games cut by a hair. I loved Haro bikes, but the bars were just too close to the seat for my frame so I never rode well on it. Nowadays, I would have no clue who makes good bikes.

This video is sweet. Not gonna post a link for a fear of the banning, but type in "nosebleed section" into youtube.

5. 10MM

10MM Action Reaction

If it has been a while any of the current new stuff rocks. I was pimpin' an old DK and pulled the trigger on a blowout Verde at the end of last summer. Man it is built like a tank but light! I just made sure to get something 100% chro-mo for street stuff. The bike I bought had a MSRP of $700 but it was at the time of new model intro - got it for half price from Dans Comp. They rock - sent the wrong bike first but corrected it straight away. :up:

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I have an '06 SE Racing PK Ripper for sale.Not going to have time to re-enter BMX racing like I wanted.It's clean.Pm if interested. :up:

7. eboos

eboos Slowski

LOL!!! I just went onto Dan's Comp's web site and went to the bike parts page and under chain tensioners, they pictured the chain tensioner that I designed for Odyssey. The P.A.C.T.

http://www.danscomp.com/serve.php?serve=html&html=parts.html

I designed that and machined 3 prototypes (still have one of them) and sent it to Odyssey in 2001. That's awesome that it's still around.

8. six6two

six6two AWD

I got a redline flight pro. I ride it every now and again. I haven't raced in over ten years as well. It came back surprisingly quick though...

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Chime in Opie....

10. bpro

bpro Big Ugly Fat F*****

My nephew rides for Fit bikes. I believe S&M is the parent company???

His bikes are pretty much built up from the catalog so I am not too sure whats out there pre assembled.

He has no trouble with frame strength but seems to destroy wheels on a regular basis...

11. Paint Shaker

Paint Shaker Tractor Motor Racer

Last time I did some vert riding Matt Hoffman wasn't even old enough to vote! LOL

12. KMC

KMC DUC|DET

try to narrow down what it is you want to do the most. cause the bike to get for bmx racing isn't the bike you want to be jumping huge kickers or riding the park. notice how all the freestyle frames are slammed now.

got my nephew this bike:
    http://www.redlinebicycles.com/bikes/freestyle/2010-rl-51

you'll find that a lot of the cheaper production bikes from eastern, fit, dk, haro, redline....aren't all 4130 chromo. only the top tubes a lot of times. look for one that full frame and fork are 4130

13. Saltman

Saltman Curves Are Sexy

I used to ride back in the day. Used to ride a mongoose and dyno. Would watch Rad for inspiration.

14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

God damn that video is cool. Thanks for the tip. My head about popped a couple of times.

15. MR-MICROPHONE

MR-MICROPHONE Breakin' the Law!!

There used to be a track in Atlanta back in the day called BMX "RAD" Atlanta.

I think it was over near Marietta or somewhere that way off of 75 if I recall.

16. vince69007

vince69007 CRASH277

i remember when they invented the spinning coller for your brake cables so you could spin the bars all the way around LoL. bikes sure have changed a lot in 20 yrs eh. looks like fun. good luck!

17. eboos

eboos Slowski

Damn, I don't remember the guy's name, but pretty much the Gyro or the creatively named Oryg was the guy's only good design. He ran Odyssey for a while, and during that time they built nothing but crap. He left Odyssey and started SST and renamed the Gyro, which Odyssey owned the rights to, to the Oryg which is obviously Gyro spelled backwards. SST stands for the creator's last name Speed Technology.

In the late 90's Odyssey had an explosion of new products that were cutting edge. Still I am very proud to have been part of it.

18. HAYSTACK

HAYSTACK UP YORN

gotta find my RAD video

19. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

well my buddy gave me a dk 4 pack last night that was givin to him from a guy that left for korea.. not a bad bike to start back up on. once i shake off some rust i'll upgrade :)

20. Booty Freak

Booty Freak Well-Known Member

Here is my good old trusty BMX rig. BMX bikes can last you a long times as long as you don't case a double. Definitely roll thru the neighborhood or a parking lot doing some 1/4 mile sprints so you have some legs when you hit the track. This way you can focus on being some what competitive instead of being out of gas.

[​IMG][/IMG]