1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever write a book or anything similar?

Discussion in 'General' started by turbodogs02, Aug 8, 2012.

1. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Just curious if anyone here has done so, or known anyone to do so.

I've been thinking of undertaking just such a project lately, but I've never done it, am not sure of the process, etc etc...

I'm not setting out with this to "get published" or make a sack full of loot, more of a personal project to write about and document the history of my Uncle Joe Petrali. For anyone curious, Joe Petrali was one of the greatest motorcycle racers in American history, going undefeated one year, setting the land speed record on Daytona Beach.... He's in the moto Hall of Fame, and also held AMA card #1. :) I won't bore you all here, lot's of info out in interweb land...

The history of our family, roots, all that shit, has become more of a priority to me as I get older. Just something I'm wanting to explore and learn about...especially as so many more of the older members are dying out and taking their stories and memories with them.

So that lead me to Uncle Joe. Same thing there....the older generations that may have first hand accounts are disappearing, and I also thought it may be something cool to do to highlight his accomplishments in one singular source....as opposed to the odd paragraph mentions in random Harley books.

I don't know....just the thought of an actual "book" seems cool, instead of just some hokey random collection of old family photos, and odd stuff that's already been published on him.

I've written before, so I've got experience on that front. Just never in a formal sort of presentation like a book...../

So beeb......anyone? Bueller? Thoughts, ideas, suggestions? Pointers to get started?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  2. caferace

caferace No.

Step One: Start Writing

Step Two comes after that. If it's your first book, just get it down and worry about the marketing later. Heck, you can always self-publish.

-jim

3. turbodogs02

turbodogs02 Just batting at the bunny

Yeah for sure! I wasn't even thinking the end product/publishing yet....just more on the fundamentals of book writing...lol....if that makes sense....

But I agree with ya, just need to start getting stuff put together and go from there.

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

I still have a shitty manuscript laying in a box somewhere that I wrote a few years ago. Every once in a while I think about editing it and sending it off somewhere but I doubt that will happen. It sucks.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You'll want to assemble facts, research and interviews before you'll be able to gauge the focus of your book.
    Start with an outline and decide on your focus, since this would be a biography.
    Keep in mind that it will develop itself as you write and do research.
    Use an editor or editors.

6. Umm, no. I have never even read a book. :D

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Maybe you should drive...

I have a who the is same - I say why live?????

8. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Sounds like you have some book-writing experience. Care to share any titles?

9. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This... pen to paper first.

The rest will come. Good luck.

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Bruce Wilkins here on the BBS has a couple out (I encourage you to buy copies). The Punisher has a few out as well and they're pretty kick ass.

11. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I believe you'll find that the author of The Count of Cape Hatteras and its sequel is a poster hear. Corolla Dude IIRC.

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Here, here!!!!!

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I write one every year, no one reads it so not sure if I'm doing it right or not.

14. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

It's an audio book...

:eek:

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:crackup:

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

17. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Put it on iTunes so you can get some data on that. :D

18. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

But you write books for nearly every reply and thread you make :p

19. :crackup:

Naw but see, that is different.

:moon:

20. brother_ed7

brother_ed7 brother_ed7

My dad has written a couple of text books for college students that were published. I'll ask him how he got the process started and let ya know!