1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone ever attended Black Hat?

Discussion in 'General' started by SPL170db, Aug 2, 2018.

1. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

So people go here to get hacked? WTF? I missing something here. Why have a convention if they know that's what the convention is doing?

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Because if people don't beat software to death and bring to light the problems in poorly written or poorly tested code then you are at risk on a larger scale than you will be for the time of the convention. Social engineering is still the primary point of weakness because people still exist who have no idea or even want to know how any of this works behind the scenes.

rd49 and BigBird like this.
  3. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

What he said.

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

It's mostly "ethical hackers", i.e. folks that work with companies and vendors to find the holes and vulnerabilities in their stuff and they disclose it to them to fix rather than exploiting it for nefarious purposes. Its common practice these days for enterprise companies and security companies in general to look to former hackers to hire onto their staffs.

5. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

"former hackers"

lol

BHP41 likes this.
  6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

They don't "go there to get hacked". They go there to learn about what the current cybersecurity landscape looks like. People will sometimes get hacked when they employ poor computer security practices and invite the temptation of hundreds of hacking-savvy folks at the convention.

Think of going to the zoo.....and then reaching over the lion enclosure with a piece of steak in your hand. You COULD do that, or you could just stand behind the wall and observe like a normal person :D

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  7. assjuice cyrus

Why didn't you just say my name...:crackup:

code3ryder likes this.
  8. assjuice cyrus

So its a bunch of nerds walking around with chubs, talking about someones soft program writing skills..:D

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yepper. :D

assjuice cyrus likes this.
  10. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I just wanted to let you know I am impressed that you could use the phrase "soft program writing skills" :D

code3ryder, vfrket and assjuice cyrus like this.
  11. assjuice cyrus

Thank you kind sir!:D

12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Is it still a competition at its core with the good guys you reference teamed as "bad guys" for testing various corps systems?

13. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just avoid the unix neckbeards and it should work out for you.

14. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Alternatively, you could put "K. Mitnick" on your name badge...

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

If you can get a hold of Cannoli I'm pretty sure he has been. I used to pay attention to it when I was mildly interested in that tech stuff. Every year a new exploit hits the news from there and MSM loses their minds.

16. I was there a few years ago for another event. It was interesting - if I turned on my smartphone, all of the "secure" wireless networks that I usually connect to that could not have been there (home network, work network, hotel networks, etc.) showed up on my phone as available.

17. jfcasley

jfcasley Well-Known Member

I went to 2/3 hohocons, it is pretty lame

18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

You're probably thinking of DEF CON. It actually starts just as Blackhat is wrapping up. Convenient 2 cybersecurity conventions back to back in Vegas ehh?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEF_CON

19. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Will the Russians be there? :D

20. Sadly, the unix neckbeards run the universe. And they know it.