1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody ever try custom leathers on Ebay?

Discussion in 'General' started by DrummerDaveB, Dec 17, 2007.

1. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

There are a couple sellers who are offering custom tailored leathers for like $300 - $400.
    It's obviously way cheaper than Barnacle Bill or similar custom leathers guys.

I know you're thinking - dont buy those you dork. Get some from Barnacle Bill, or at least an off the rack suit from a reputable brand. :Poke:

The problem is Im looking for my wife. I've never found leathers made by any manufacturer that fit Wendy. :down:
    So Im debating trying one of these guys to see if they can make something that fits her well. Of course it's a crap shoot since I cant return custom leathers if they suck.
    I assume for the price they're selling at that they're made in China, but I cant say if that'll matter or not.
    Still, I cant afford to spend $1200 for a custom suit from BB, nor would she let me spend that much.
    She doesnt race, but she does want to do a track day or 2. To be honest they probably would be used outside that. She likes her textile.

So, speculation aside, has anyone here gone that route?
    Any first-hand knowledge of anybody who has?

What do you think?

2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

I think my wife's skin is worth more than a crappy EBay suit. I do not have any first hand experience with these suits, but why would they sell them so cheap if they are worth more. Save up a little and get her a BB suit. I think he can get the price down some if you don't do much design work, leave the aero hump off, etc.

STEVE

3. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I saw those yesterday on ebay, and was wondering the same thing. I think the best approach would be to email the seller and find out who they are. then post up said info here. If they have been in the industry for any length of time, chances are someone on here will have had some dealings with them and could probably shed some light on this.

4. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Depending on what specific areas she is having problems with, you may look into a off the rack suit, and have it tailored to her.

There are many options of suits depending on if her problems are in the chest or hips. If this is the case buy a larger suit and have it cut (which both Alexa and Bill can do). This is a much easier (but not as effective) way of getting a tailored suit.

5. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

how safe do you want your wife to be? :D

6. Cliff0529

Cliff0529 Well-Known Member

Had the same problem with my wife. We wound up buying her a suit off of ebay.co.uk and paying to have it shipped to the states. Once she got it, it needed a bit of alteration, so we sent it out to Barnacle Bill to have him alter it. End result was more or less a custom Dainese suit for around $500. :up:

7. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

I just got a reply from the seller.
    Here's what he said:

"Thanks for your interest!

1. Yes, I can fit women in these suits.
    a. I have a womens order out in fabrication right now. I have not seen the fit yet.
    2. Your assumptions are correct, this is something new that I am venturing into. The last 6 months have been fact finding on these suits to see the quality, fit, etc. I have decided now to start selling them. I have 3 of these suits, my buddy has 2 suits, his buddy has 1 and my son is fit for a suit. All of these suits were custom and we have not had any problems with them. Refferals will be coming. I have 4 suits out in fabrication right now that are "test" suits, so to speak. These suits are for riders who I have selected to give me an unbiased opinion of the suits and maybe write a review.
    3. I have looked at the link you sent me and I will have to get back to you on if we can duplicate that suit or not, although I am pretty sure that we will be able to get it done.

Thanks for your questions Dave and I will get back to you on the suit design."

8. Cuddles de Sade

9. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

The problem is she's tall and thin.
    Most all leathers we've found are made for short fat girls, so they'll be too short in the body, legs, and arms, while also being baggy in the body.
    You should've seen the Teknic Vixen suit I bought her (and subsequently returned). It was pathetic.

10. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

No hablo espanol.

11. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Oh. . . maybe about $500 safe.

My leathers cost $350. :moon:

12. Cuddles de Sade

:D

13. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I would never trust Bonnie's ass (Glad she never gets on here!!!) to anything less than Z-Custom, Barnicle Bill, Alexa aka Spyder Woman, XES. You can get a basic suit for around $1000 and I am 100% sure your wife is worth every penny!

The folks mentioned above have (sorry about this) skin in this game and reputations to uphold. They are members of the riding community. They will give you the service you deserve and product quality that is deserving of protecting your wife.

14. STT-Rider

I was thinking that too..... LOL!!!

15. Cuddles de Sade

...closeout suit from STG?...get Alexa or Bill to alter?

http://sportbiketrackgear2.homestead.com/gericke_celtic.html

16. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

We've altered quite a few suits for women. Because of the difficulty in fitting the female form, I don't know that there will be a really great 'off the rack' suit for women.

My advice is to find a quality brand name suit and have it altered. Past season suits are being offered at good prices this time of year. Be aware that alterations will cost up to an additional $300, and will be well worth it in the end.

17. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

Im actually not opposed to that idea, but locally almost nobody carries women's gear, so I dont konw what to buy her, and everything I've tried has been so far off it couldnt even be altered.

Aside from spending $1k which (like I said) she wont let me do, I dont know what other options I've got.

18. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

Don't buy a women's suit, buy a regular suit built for a guy. We can take it in at the waist, etc.

She's tall, so look for a cut that will match her curvy bits, and we can take in the rest.

Believe me, we've done some pretty drastic alterations, so don't assume anything. I will say, some suits are better candidates for alterations, depending on what you need to have adjusted. For instance, when I bought my suit, it fit my hips, bust and torso length, and then I altered the suit at the legs and sleeves, and took in the waist. Basically a custom in the end.

Feel free to give me a call or shoot an email if you have more questions.

19. DrummerDaveB

DrummerDaveB The Spartan

I'll have her try on some guy stuff and see what happens.
    Thanks

20. STT-Rider

Womens body shapes vary so much it is really had to fit a female over the phone. STG has a no-fee exhange policy on Womens gear for this reason.