1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody ever catch a skunk?

Discussion in 'General' started by tony 340, May 24, 2012.

1. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Got a little prollem.

A skunk decided to make home under our shipping container at work. It's one of the oversea semi trailer deals that they stack 4 high, you've seen them.

Anyhow, that thing ain't movin it has all our tools/fittings in it, and this skunk is gonna get one of us one day.

Anybody in this master knowledge base ever trap a skunk? I'd like to trap him, put him in my truck and take him 20 miles out to a nice big wooded area so he can chill away from people. Not sure how to do that without getting juiced.

I have a buddy with a coon trap that thinks we can put a blanket over the thing. My balls ain't quite that big though.

2. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I once grabbed one that had tunneled into our sunken basement window dealio. I used a large 55 gallon trash bag and reached into it, I then grabbed the skunks tail and immediately pushed the bag over him and closed it. I then tossed him about 100 feet while in the bag and walked back inside to shower. He didn't get me but it still smelled horrible!

Good luck!

3. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

If trying to just grab it by hand, use a vinyl covered tyvex suit (ebay....hazmat) and pitch it (the suit), or throw a blanket/sheet over it.
    Wear gloves.
    Skunks are fearless, not because of biting (they have tiny teeth?, but because they know they can 'skunk' anything....they won't even move out of the way of cars most times....no fear.

If you can catch it in a Hav-A-Heart trap, just throw a blanket over it.....I've done it a ton of times.....no worries. You're a good dude for taking the time to relocate it, it doesn't know it is doing anything wrong or bothering you. Big Kudos :up::up::up:

They like cat food

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. nikponcherello

nikponcherello EX #688

I had the same problem under my deck. Tried for days to trap or kill him. Tried with different bait in a couple of different traps.
    The trick is to put the trap inside of a garbage bag. Bait it with whatever, old lettuce ended up working for me. But the trick is putting it in the bag. Skunks prefer dark confined areas (I was told) and they'll sooner go into the trap with the bag around it than one out in the open. Then, getting rid of it is simple because it's already in a bag.

The easy way is to throw the whole thing into a pond or ditch, or drop a smoke bomb into the bag, or a dryer hose to the car exhaust. The more human way is to drive out the country and crouch in the back of a pickup truck with your arms extended out over the side of the box and open the trap so it falls out onto the ground and doesn't see you.

5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

No need for me to be an asshole about it.

I will trap it with my buddies coon trap and some cat food. I'll put a blanket over it right from the start. Will keep ya'll posted on progress.

I'll take the little f'er to the sticks and let him go.

Thanks everybody for the help.

6. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

Can't wait to find out how this goes. :D

Good luck. :up:

7. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Is he roaming about / acting fearless during day time hours? This might be a sign that it's rabid.

8. backbone

backbone scarred for life

You are AWESOME!!!!:D

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Skunks are nocturnal. They are timid. My family had two as pets (descented). They love cat food, and, basically, are very much like cats. They also like corn and green vegetables. They won't go far if they have kits in there, they are protective parents. Use a Hav-a-Hart if you can and cover it for transport, use a pick-up so it doesn't ruin your car trunk if it sprays. If they're nesting in there, you will have to catch more than one.

10. SpeedyE

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beats any story I got, all to Hell!!!!!!!!

ps, if you tuck the tail underthem, they can't spray.

TIApart, you are a madman....I bow down to you :up::up::up:

11. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

We caught one by accident in a coon trap when I was a kid. My brother and I were a little surprised to see it in the trap, but it didn't seem to care about us. So we just walked up to the trap really slowly and opened it for him. (we lived on a farm, so we didn't really care about him staying around somewhere) He just walked out and went on his merry way.

12. SpeedyE

Not usually.
    Most times they are nursing mother trying to find food anon-stop.
    If you see an animal in the daytime, if it is not acting drunk or nuerological (shaking head from side to side, standing and leaning/fall/walsking in circles.....no issue.
    If you do see an animal w/ these symtoms, it is 9 times out of 10, distemper.

An animal/person that takes a bite from a rabid animal can only transmit the virus at the final stages (last couple of days)....is not transmitable as it is incubating and working it's way towards the brain....once in the brain it goes for the saliva glands....then it's on....but the animal can only transmit for a day or two before it dies.

If an animal is not showing nuerological signs, it can't transmit the virus.

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

My UPS guy got scratched by a hydrophobic rabid feral cat last month and had to do the rabies treatment. One of the tenants continues to put trays of food out for the feral cats, and I throw them in the dumpster every time I find them. Animal control is clueless.

14. GoldStarRon

GoldStarRon Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen a skunk in my yard (another thread in here).. Have not seen him for a while.. hope he left...

BUT on one of the TV shows... one of the fix up a house and make gazillions, showed a guy trapping a skunk... yes he got sprayed in the eyes... yes the others commented how bad he smelled, days later after several showers....

I want nothing to do with those smelly critters.....

Good Luck..!!

Ron

15. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

16. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

UTube catching a skunk.

I caught one last summer by accident, found a video that shares enough detail to where you shouldn't get sprayed.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

I've caught coons, skunks and oppossum in my live cage trap. Just throw a blanket over it, pick it up and drive it to a release spot. Typically by someone elses house. :D The skunk was actually a nice looking critter.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Turtleman caught a pair of skunks on an episode a few days ago.

19. tito

tito Well-Known Member

billy the exterminator had an episode about catching the skunks....

20. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

Sage advice.:D