1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Yamaha dealers on board?

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, May 7, 2021.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I took my FJR in for the 2nd gear recall. The dealer performed the physical repair bur cant do the ecm flash. THEY DONT HAVE THE TOOL...

They say its on backorder. 2 months now without the bike and cant tell me when I'll get it, because Yamaha won't let me have without the new flash.

Are these things on backorder? for how long?

2. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Is this tool specific for this bike, or recall? No way to take bike to another Yamaha dealership with the tool? Or have another dealer that has this tool loan it to your dealer? I don't know the situation, or how many dealers are "local" to you.
    2 months would suck, big time. Don't they have loaner bikes? :crackup::mad::(

3. 88/532

88/532 Simply Antagonistical

Who did the warranty work? Dealer name.

4. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I’ve had various Yamaha parts on B/O, as far back as last November. They have really dropped the ball.

5. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

How can they legally not give you your own bike back, recall or no recall?

6. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Probably NHTSA regulation. You cant let the vehicle back on the highway once it’s in for a recall and the recall has been 100% completed.

7. cav115

cav115 Well-Known Member

covid. it`s everybody.

Spooner and tony 340 like this.
  8. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

The fuck I wouldn't be taking my bike to another dealership to have the ECM flashed.

To steal Broome's line: "Uppercuts would be given out all over the place." "I'd be giving away free uppercuts and $5 bills and I"m all out of $5 bills."

Shenanigans and Wheel Bearing like this.
  9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, I deal with all brands and they've been the worst.

ducnut likes this.
  10. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

What I'm struggling to grasp about this story is WHY the dealer made the appointment and took the job in without actually having the tool to complete the job. Did they advise you of that fact at any point in the process? If on the day of your scheduled drop off, they should have advised you that they have yet to recieve the tool and reschedule the service.

11. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Maybe they were out of fjr parts too, until then...jk. might be the similar issue anything with an automotive chip in it which seems heavily affected by issues in Taiwan, not strictly covid.

12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Try and order parts for a Cummins industrial motor right now then get back to me

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I'd love to see them tell me I can't have my bike back....

14. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Not completely accurate. There are noticeable differences in service levels, between manufacturers.

15. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

2 friends have affected FJR's and separate dealers told them bikes going in now won't see the recall parts until August as they have to order those parts based on the VIN number.
    But even the simple parts and pieces from Japan are on the forever boat getting here.
    I waited just at 6 weeks for the silly brake switch recall part and that started back in January.
    Wonder if the OP could ring aling Yamaha Corporate for some help getting that ECU flashed ?

Fencer likes this.
  16. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Yeah, that is my issue too.
    Firts, parts for recall were on order, finally got that in, mechanical rebuild is done. bike has been test riden by mech and checks out ok.

The tool in question is I am guessing a OBD reader/programmer for Yamaha. Dealership is under new ownership and old owner was "supposed" to leave this. Obviously he did not.. and we have waited for my bike to be completed to discover this, Yeah me.... I drove almost 2 hours to go to "this" dealer as they had a reputation for being very good with FJRs and ther is no place around Bham I would let touch it (still only has 50 miles on it, Did I say NEW bike?)
    I had no idea about the sale. at least the "old mechanic" is the one who worked on it.

I am stuck with my thumb up my ass with no recouse it seems as I am sure any other dealer would not want to flash it.

They did the brake recall as well already. it was done before 2nd gear.

17. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

Its Yamaha Corp.

The ecm flash is a detune on 2nd gear so it doest strip again. (or we could just use beefier components...)

18. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

pmed

19. Wouldn’t be so quick to blame Yamaha, there is a shortage of many components and raw materials globally.

20. Yama-saurus

Yama-saurus Well-Known Member

Apologie video...