1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any word On Justin Marm

Discussion in 'General' started by Handicapped Racer, Sep 30, 2007.

1. J B

J B Well-Known Member

Just wanted to say that some of us out here don't know you personaly but are still thing about you and wishing you well.

2. J B

J B Well-Known Member

oops, thing=thinking

3. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

So he'll continue to fit right in with the rest of the endurance riders.....;)

4. moto-heaven

moto-heaven Well-Known Member

update

I see its been few days since an update on Justin has been posted. I haven't seen him for about a week myself, but get regular updates from his family who are with him every day and friends who are closer and can visit several times a week. He is doing great in his progress. And I am very excited to see him this coming week as he is doing more on his own and able to respond on a much higher level than just a week or so ago. He is more aware but still in a very agitated state most of the time. Of course, who of us wouldn't be if we were'nt riding or at least planning next season's racing. The therapy is pretty tough and exausting but he is hanging tough and has moments of clarity that are amazing.
    Thank you still for keeping him in your thoughts and prayers.

5. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Phil thanks for the update...Hang in there Justin!

6. moto-heaven

medical bills

Oh- I heard that Justin's bill for the several week stay in FL was a little over $150k. This was just for the ICU period of his treatment. And, the helicopter ride alone was another $13k. Luckily, although he was self-employed, he had gotten himself medical insurance that will cover a good portion of the bills. It has made me think about it all since I am self employed also. And, even when I had coverage through a previous employer - they didn't cover medical expenses incurred from a sanctioned motorsports events. And, although no one likes to think about it, you really need to. WERA provides some insurance coverage, which is awesome of them, but everyone needs to be well prepared. I have recently learned about 'ridersurance' from their (Brandon Parrish) support of Justin, and have gotten some insurance for myself. If you are a racer, please consider it for yourself - and your family !

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What Phil said - if you can't budget good insurance into your racing budget stay the hell off the track.

Phil, thanks for the updates!

8. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Well said both of you! The best thing I ever did with my racing, was to have fantastic personell insurance to take care of the shite side of life.

Hang tough J

9. bp@RiderSurance.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil, happy to work with you and glad to hear Justin is constantly improving!

10. jpmarm

jpmarm Justin Marm

Justin Update

Hello,

We visited Justin on Saturday. He seems to be past the 'agitated' phase - he was only worked up for about 30 min on Sat and nothing on Sunday. We believe he is in the confused stage (5) now.

My wife asked Justin is he had one wish what would it be? He quickly replied 'riding'.

Physically he is progressing very well. He will start on soft food this week.

The nursing staff is very pleased with his progress.

Thanks for all the cards. We read them to him often.

Time will tell.

Phil makes a good point. Also having 3-6 months of cash on hand is very important, a power of attorney, will, a letter of intent to explain the admin items, passwords, and accounts, also if you race you may want to think about a long term care insurance policy since your risks increase otherwise you have to use all your assets prior to Medicaid kicking in to cover LTC.

Joe (Justin's brother)

11. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Prayers are with him for a full recovery everyday. :up:

Good advice on all the things racers (and everyone) should have taken care of just in case life throws somethin bad at ya. I am there right now and still thankful I had good car insurance.

12. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I hope Justin his family had a wonderful Thanksgiving. prayers continually coming your way, please update us after the turkey day dust settles:up:

Hang tuff Justin:rock:

13. (diet)DrThunder

I'm thankful that Justin is still with us. See you soon Justin!

14. moto-heaven

I spent a couple of days this past weekend with Justin as well and was extremely surprised and happy to see the improvement he has made since my last visit. Man, what a difference! He is in very goods spirits, laughing and joking with us. His therapy is going great. He is regaining basic mental tasks, hand and le dexterity, is riding the stationary bike, and eating solid foods on his own now. I've been in phone contact with several mutual friends, but its hard to keep up with everyone, so please spread the word to friends not on the BBS- that things are going very good for him.

15. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

That is so great to hear. Keep it up Justin!! :up:

16. (diet)DrThunder

Phil, that's so great to hear. Please tell him how hard we're all pulling for him every day!

17. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

awesome news

18. wes

wes Well-Known Member

To Justin's family-
    I found this info on a non-profit organization in Pennsylvania that helps with medical expenses and wanted to pass it on.

Isabel M. Spackman Foundation Inc.
    c/o PNC Bank Trustees
    620 Liberty Ave., 10th Floor
    Pittsburgh, PA 15222
    Phone: 412-768-5898
    Type of support: Financial aid for medical expenses and housing

To apply for a financial grant from them, you must send a written letter to the organization explaining the circumstances of your need, the reason for the grant request, how much is needed, and how the grant would be used.

Also, I found some info and resource guides for caregivers of brain injury patients:

Brain Injury Resource Foundation
    www.birf.info
    Phone: (404) 712-5504

Brain Injury Association of America
    Phone: 800-444-6443
    www.biausa.org

Hope this will help.

19. vdub18t

vdub18t #97

Good to hear progress is being made. Prayers working. Keep fighting! :up:

20. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

Mr Yama Saurus Sir, I have put the helmet on a courier to you today mate, sorry for delay, been having a bit of body trouble myself

J and Family, I hope things are going as good as can be for you all See you in the soup mate