1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I somewhat understand, and don't know watches like you guys do.

But If you look at that Patek we discussed earlier the list is 35K and I believe the street price is 90K right now. https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-new-patek-philippe-57111a-014-now-with-an-olive-green-dial#:~:text=The new version of the,set 5711-1300-001.

The other nice Patek https://www.thewatchbox.com/shop/44...6-FCQHZLHe6wuz8yttF6iyAX6b894ZchoCU2AQAvD_BwE has a list of 85-90K in the street price is 75-80 K. It would seem down the road, that it would probably hold it’s value better versus the one that’s three times list price? When the market changes a little the one that is three times list price I would guess will drop back down closer to list?

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  2. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

That's not how it has gone for the last decade, but if I could predict the future I wouldn't be here talking to you goofballs. :)

If you're really interested in watch values and their history, Chrono24 has a function that tracks historical pricing.

3. Boman Forklift

Thank you, will have to check that out. I don't know the watch market at all, like you guys do, that is why I was asking about those values.

4. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

You are thinking about it correctly for a long term play, IF resale is part of your game. However, the watch market is more about supply and demand, with demand being driven from 1) normal demand, 2) flippers or watch investors and 3) herd mentality of "gotta have it". If Hodinkee comes out with an article tomorrow that says Vintage Accutrons are the next best thing since the manual watch movement, they will ZOOOM past the $150 -$300 they are at now, as that will impact demand. Flippers will ride those waves and have significant impact on the rise in pricing.

Ignore that there's an authorized dealer channel, and just look at it as if there is a generic supply of watches.
    IMO, the Bobs/Joma/Chrono24 market is the real market price for things like the GMT-II, Submariners, IWC, Patek, etc. Since with certain models AD has no ability to impact market price, and (too high) price is keeping some available.

Are dealers playing games? Maybe with some, and my guess is for sure with Rolex.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  5. Jedb

@Boman Forklift
    An example of the pricing stuff:

Rolex Explorer was in the $4k to $5K range about 6 months ago. If you go to buy one now, you are lookinat $7-$9K for a standard GMT hand and $12K - $14K for the orange one.

Normal demand had them at $4k
    I'm guessing lack of availability, or too high a price, of other models such as the GMT Master II, Sub, etc, led people to look at them.
    I would also be willing to bet that one of the watch blogs came out with a "Hidden Rolex bargains" article.
    *boom*. Herd + Flippers = 75% increase.

IMO, the Bobs/Joma/Chrono24 market is the real market price.

Boman Forklift likes this.
  6. SteveThompson

It's a decent watch with a good workhorse movement. That movement sells by itself for about $300-ish for reference. At the retail price of that Ball you are getting dangerously close to Tudor territory. For less you can get a Hamilton that I think might be as good or better. I do know people like Ball watches so I'm sure it's not a bad choice.

7. I have 3, well now 4 as one arrived today (thanks for the delay UPS), they are my daily watches kind of need an “I’m formal but here to party” in between watch :) That’s my justification at least, more I looked into them I’ll probably just save my “play” money I allot myself another few weeks and buy something a bit nicer. That mid range $1200-1500 always seems to get me either going below it or most times above it. I’m hard on watches and clothes as I’ll get hime from the office and take a peak at something then next thing ya know a $150 pair of pants have grease on them or get snagged on something and are trashed. I’ve come to terms with being a total moron a lot of the time so just save myself from myself.

8. I have about $50k worth of watches that if I played it like the market sold and re-invested I’d have probably $65-70k worth. A few of them skyrocketed for a while but some l like and wear maybe once a year I just don’t want to part with. Kind of like my Jeep, it’s 7 years old and could get a boatload to trade it in but days like today at 68 and sunny was great to have top down. Wish I could make a sxs street legal, I’m sure you can but if I could easily I’d buy a good one and that would get my fix.

Hawk518 likes this.
  9. They can manipulate the market as much as game stop buying fools can to that stock market. Kind of like when Warren Buffet speaks people are hanging on his words and him just farting in public would result in a 300% ride in gas-x stock.

10. Boman Forklift

It's funny, that was a watch I liked, but didn't realize they jumped up so much as well?

11. Jedb

It's one of several that I've been watching. One of my grails is the Rolex GMT, from 1970 (my birth year). But that's in the $20K range at the moment.
    crazy times.

Wish I had 17 2x4s and some plywood stashed somewhere. At today's pricing, I might be able to afford the GMT.
    :D

Boman Forklift and tony 340 like this.
  12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Pretty soon Trex is going to be cheaper than regular lumber

Boman Forklift and Jedb like this.
  13. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

How do you guys feel about this Breitling Avenger Seawolf Ti watch. They made them about 15 years ago and I found a mint one with box/papers included. The yellow dial wouldn't be my first go to however I keep going back to how cool I think it is for a casual watch. I dont like shiny stainless watches much and this one is satin titanium but the yellow seems pretty eye catching

[​IMG]

Phl218 likes this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If cheap enough I like that one a lot - and I'm not usually a Breitling fan.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

can't say anything about the watch other than i will suggest it as anniversary gift to one of our engineers in our plant in Ohio. :D

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

i'm a Breitling fan but not so big into yellow, but for the right price i'd take it. i have a STOWA Flieger GMT with ti housing and added a Steinhart Ti-band to it. pretty cool to have a rather massive watch ending up being so light thanks to the titanium.

can i ask how much they're asking?

17. SteveThompson

I'm not much of a Breitling fan and I don't own one, but I'm guessing it's a good price for any certified chronometer.

18. Jedb

I'm not a Breitling fan, except for some of their vintage chronos (TopTime 3 register) and the SuperOcean heritage.
    For my eyes, they have too much on the dial and on the bezels.

However, if you like it, and it feels good on the wrist, you should get it.

L8RSK8R likes this.
  19. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

The font/script on their dials is too much.

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

Agreed, people struggle with it because it is insane and borderline illegal. For example, let's imagine a company specifies a price, but then employs various strategies at various levels of its supply chain and distribution to deliberately manipulate production and supply to specific markets and buyers to ensure a buoyant grey market, such that the market price is completely disconnected from the list price. Then they also hypothetically, restrict the supply of necessary spare parts for repairs, reinforcing their existing channels of control and price gouging. Yes it is the real 'market' price, but it's brilliantly artificial and contrived. I don't think we are far from someone, or a group of people with nothing to lose, taking said hypothetical company to court, and winning.