1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any SSR 110 Reviews

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by BigBird, Jun 11, 2019.

1. BigBird

BigBird blah

I see these SSR 110 Semi Auto bikes for sale, and was wondering about them for my 8 year old.

The only downside is that NJMiniGP doesn't seem to have them in the rule book if we wanted to go in that direction, but I guess that's a further down the road issue.

2. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

SSR is the "premiere" imported/non-Japanese mini bike. If they are maintained, they are as good as anything out there. But if they start to fall in disrepair, then just like anything else...

I had a 140, which is the big bore version of the 110. It had a real Mikuni carb and it ran great. Zero issues with the bike. If you get new, strip it down and replace as many nuts and bolts as you can, and change all of the fluids as well as grease the pivot points. if used, do the same while looking for metal flakes in the oil. Otherwise gas and go. And, since they have the same engine architecture for all of the horizontal engines, you can upgrade to a clutch, four or five speed ($$$), and any size bore with up to four valve heads with roller bearing cams. LOTS of modifications possible to that engine.

BigBird likes this.
  3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Looks like it can run in MiniGP Pro, so hmm...

Sent from my smatrfone

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Get your kid a Honda/Yamaha 50. You won't regret it. Let them work on their technique and gain confidence on the smaller bike first for a couple years.

Mine turned 9 last weekend, he's in his second season of MiniGP and I'm just starting to consider Mitas tires for his 110 and maybe letting him take it
    out at our local track here in Hanover, MD and maybe doing some practicing on it. I'll then watch the next Spec 110 race at NJminiGP to see if I feel he's ready to go
    out on the bigger platform.

BigBird likes this.
  5. BigBird

BigBird blah

You don't think the 50 is a bit too small for 8.5 year old? He used to ride one of those Razor Pocket bikes and now the next razor bike size, mx350.

Sent from my smatrfone

6. StaccatoFan

Nope. Not at all.

NJ MiniGP is very competitive. In a good way though. Fast kids are coming out of that program.

Mine will be on a 50 at least 2 more seasons. He’s come a long long way. But he still has a lot to learn.

7. BigBird

BigBird blah

Good info.

Are you using knobbies for tires?

Also gear, where's the best source. He's like 49" tall, 52 pounds

Sent from my smatrfone

8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

The SSR 110 is based on the CRF 50 frame with longer forks and swingarm. You can get a tall or short seat for it, and handlebars are infinitely replaceable. A true CRF50 might be right on the point of being too small for someone 4' tall. I remember my daughter being pretty cramped on a 50 when she was 10, and I got her an XR80 when she was 12 and it fit her pretty well. She's 5' 1" now and 14 years old, if that helps with scale.

You can get 10" tires on the 110; I had 17" front and 14" rear, and it was a decent size, the the 12" SM wheels brought it down to a reasonable size. I will always be an advocate for the 110 as it can be configured to be the same size as a 50 up to the size of an XR100 or TTR125.

BigBird likes this.
  9. StaccatoFan

No knobbies allowed.

I’ll get you more info this evening after I get home. Taking Alex to a football clinic tonight at the Ravens training center. Soccer may be done for us.

BigBird likes this.
  10. BigBird

BigBird blah

thanks! We'll probably be hitting up NJ MiniGP too, so any other info helps.