1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Runners Here? Need help with a program.

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Apr 8, 2020.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I'd like to start running as part of my overall workout routine. I've never been much of a runner at all but would like to start. When I run, I seem to be more of a heel striker as opposed to one who runs on their forefoot. Is this OK, or should I look at changing? What I've been doing is jogging about 1/4 mile, then walking about 1/8 mile; then repeating that until I've covered about a couple miles.

Any advice on how to put a running plan together?

2. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

You should change if you can to reduce the risk of injury. I have run many marathons and I was able to retrain my style to a ‘pose’ style of running by using Newton Running shoes.
    They help you focus on landing on your for foot instead of your heal. I no longer need them and can run with any shoe with any drop the same way. I do prefer lower drop shoes though.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thank you. I'll have to give them a look. Is the "pose" style where you land on your forefoot, I'm assuming?

4. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

5. Tj Hunter

Tj Hunter Well-Known Member

I would HIGHLY recommend an app called "couch to 5k". I have been a runner for years and my wife HATED to run and one day she said she found that app and wanted to start running. It took her about a month and shes been hooked and now we run every day about 2.5 to 3 miles. Running is really something that you get better at day to day and week to week. Just keep at it and before you know it you will cover a mile then two etc without stopping.

I am with Kevin, you should try to do less heel striking it will reduce a LOT of the stresses of running. The biggest thing that helped me is to understand that you DO want steps, I used to run at 145 steps per min and now I am more in 155-160 range, for reference marathon types strive for 175-185 SPM.

DmanSlam likes this.
  6. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

Right, my cadence average is 198 spm. (Steps per minute). High turnover will keep you from tiring your legs out quickly. Better to do smaller bursts of energy (shorter strides) more often than large bursts of less often (longer strides).

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not a hardcore runner, but, if you haven't already, go to a purpose-built running shoe store to get fitted. Plan on trying on 5-8 different shoes until you find one that feels right. Once you find one that fits you right, for subsequent purchases, look online for the -1 from the current generation. I wear Asics Cumulus. The new 22s just came out and they're $120. 21s can be found for $90-$100. I just wore out my 19s and I found a pair of 20s for $60 and found a coupon for 15% off.

pscook likes this.
  8. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I am in the process of rebuilding my form from heel strike to mid foot strike. My program as of last week was the most minimal shoes (he even said barefoot) running for 3 minutes at 5.5-6 MPH at a 180 cadence, then walking at 3.5 MPH for two minutes. Repeat 4 times. I am going to the shoe store this afternoon to look at zero drop outside shoes with cushion and support as I'm not ready to run with my minimalist shoes outside.

I was a 6:30 per mile runner, so it's a huge change to regress in speed, but it should help my issues. Getting old sucks, especially when I have abused my body so much during a hobby (running). The shoes that I have are:
    Topo MT3 (3mm drop); a little too flexible for me as I need a bit of support, and the cushioning is too weird for road (my preferred location). Spongy feeling with no support
    New Balance Minimus Trail (using on treadmill). 4mm drop, but feels dead flat. The shoe linked is newer than my version, so maybe I have a flatter model?
    Altra casual shoes for walking around. Can't find them on the website, but a great casual shoe
    Trading in my Saucony (8mm drop) for something flatter, thinner, and with support. Looking at Altra, will know more later.

9. kevinr

kevinr Well-Known Member

I would also suggest that you try as many different brands as possible. You never know what’s out there unless you try it.
    I’m currently running in Adidas for the first time but I’ve had Nike, Asics, Soucony, Brooks and many more.

10. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Dramatically altering your natural running form to fit someone else's hypothesis is a giant mistake. The trend toward forefoot striking has all kinds of people running on their toes and getting injured. There are people who naturally run that way, and it's fine for them, but for most of us, our heel contacts the ground first. Forward momentum allows us to absorb a tiny bit of impact on the heel, then roll forward and distribute the remainder of that impact across the foot. Think of that as opposed to forcing your ankle, achilles, and calf to take all the abuse. The truth is, most people who advocate for that type of stride don't run many miles.

I think the trend began with marathoners. Too many people watched elite marathoners and saw that they ran on their forefoot. For them, it's natural because they're basically sprinting. At five minute miles, you're on your toes no matter who you are. For most of us, it's a non issue. It's the running equivalent of the leg dangle.

Just run naturally and focus on minimizing impact rather than worrying about what part of your foot hits the ground. Think "glide" rather than "stride". And to repeat the good advice here, find more than one pair of shoes that work for you. I alternate between the Hoka Speedgoat, and Topo Ultraventure. Did my entire training program in those two shoes for my first 100 miler, which was supposed to be on April 18, and is now cancelled. Thanks corona.

Yzasserina likes this.
  11. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Save your joints. Get a bicycle.

noles19 and Shocker like this.
  12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

We performed a gate analysis and I was severely overstriding, so I am working on a mid foot strike, not forefoot. This is a structured rebuild with lots of other factors in play. I'm assuming that you are looking at me with your comments, and I'm not arbitrarily modifying my stride. I have lots of mechanical issues: asymmetrical stride, uneven weight distribution, and chronic glute, foot, and knee issues on one side. I'm just looking at being able to run 5-6 miles without having to recover for 5-6 weeks.

My shoe shop is closed until tomorrow (allegedly), so I guess that I'll go outside barefoot? :)

13. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Save your ass get a rowing machine....

14. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Do they look like these? If so im in...

[​IMG]

Ducti89 likes this.
  15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

:crackup::crackup:
    I appreciate your concern about my ass. Even though I feel a little awkward about it. NTTAWWT. :crackup:

ChemGuy likes this.
  16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Not at all. I was actually referencing the OP's question about changing from a heel strike to forefoot.

Your issues sound similar to my own. Three broken ankles, torn up knees, etc means that I have to run in a way that minimizes impact. A hard landing on your heel with a straight leg should always be avoided. No argument there. I just think the trends and terminology have people doing stupid shit, like barefoot running. :D

17. Badger911GT3

Badger911GT3 Well-Known Member

As an experienced amateur (I've run a rough average of 15-20 miles per week for the last 15 years, done a marathon, half dozen half marathons, and a few half Ironmans), my tips would be:

-Go to running store, have them check your stride on a treadmill, and suggest proper shoes.
    -Stretch before and after running. I developed chronic shin splints when I was 30. Took me 5 years of dealing with them until I realized the main thing that helped was to do ~3-5 minutes of ankle rotations prior to running.
    -Run outdoors and run out-and-back (rather than laps). This way, if you run 2 miles out, you pretty much have to run/walk 2 miles back. It's too easy for me to give up if I'm not feeling good on a treadmill.
    -I did practice via youtube videos to learn how to heel-strike less, and land more on the mid-foot. The first couple months it felt weird. But now it feels normal. It's definitely more efficient to land with your foot underneath you, rather than in front of you and use your hamstring to pull you forward.
    -Running can get monotonous, so I like to change up the mileage, or I'll run trails, hills, or I'll sprint a 10th of a mile then jog a 10th.

The last think I'd mention is that at first I hated running, and did it just cause I needed to lose weight. I've run so long now, that I've really grown to enjoy it. It's one of my favorite parts of the day, especially when the weather is nice and cool. As with most things, remember that it's a journey, not a destination. So if you miss a week or two, it's ok, don't feel bad. Just get back and run whatever distance you can the next time.

pscook and YoshiHNS like this.
  18. Eight Screws

Eight Screws Well-Known Member

+1 on getting to a good running store to help analyze your gait and get some running shoes to help you maybe not switch completely from a full heel strike but towards a mid foot

I started running with the Couch to 5k app and it was excellent in getting me going, now I actually enjoy running using some programs developed by Hal Higdon to get to the longer distance races

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

@sharkattack as far as a program, my advice is don't worry about it. Just add three days per week of running into your schedule. Don't worry about distance, just plan 30 minutes. Don't push yourself, there will be plenty of time for that once your body adapts. For now just plan 30 minutes of motion, and if you have to walk, then walk.

Most people come out of the gate too hard. If you go out suffer your guts out every run, it becomes too daunting to lace up the shoes. Just learn to enjoy the outdoors and move. The endurance and speed will come.

Also skip the garmin watch and all of that shit for now. I have one and it plays a critical role in my training, but it's also a mind fuck. You get so wrapped up in your pace and distance that every run becomes a race.

20. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

I used to run casually(5k 3-5 times per week, maybe a little longer run once a week). I started getting achillies pain on one side and didnt stop running until later than I should have. After 10+ years and no longer running, it still bothers me. Not a sharp/severe pain, but always kinda there.

My biggest advice? STRETCH!!!!!!