1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

any PWC riders here

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, Jan 1, 2018.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I wanted to learn some more about them as may be add one to the fleet this year. Any good forums or forums to stay away from to do some research.

2. joec

joec brace yourself

Just buy one and ride it to the Bahamas from Florida. Go for it. Lol

Sabre699 likes this.
  3. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

Green hulk is the good board for skis -

4. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I want one and set it up for fishing. Wife would kill me if I brought home another boat right now though. She's still sizzling from the pontoon boat this summer....lol

Guy I work with has had a bunch and says stay away from Polaris. I follow that rule for anything be it land, sea, or snow.... He's had Yamaha, Seedoo.

When buying used, you're buying the local dealer, and try not to buy someone elses problem. They're a toy just like a motorcycle so people tend to ignore maintnence. Most of them are bought as cottage toys, dropped in the water, filled with gas and run WFO all weekend long, then pulled up on shore till the next weekend. I wouldn't expect a used one to be all that well cared for.

ajcjr likes this.
  5. joec

joec brace yourself

The guys I know who have them all have Yamahas. They are impressive as hell. And they take really good care of them.

6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

bored&stroked likes this.
  7. GarrettRick

GarrettRick Well-Known Member

I’ve got a Yamaha gp1800r - it’s well setup. With a few grand in mods it’s a mid 80mph ski, depending on water and air temps. If you’re buying used I’d steer clear of a salt water unit .
    I’ve never bought a used one , peace of mind knowing everything is 100% goes a long way on water .
    Stay away from supercharged if fuel economy is important to you.

joec and ajcjr like this.
  8. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Thanks was also curious about the ones where you could ski off the back. Ill check out the recommended forums

9. borislav

borislav Well-Known Member

Stick with Yamaha, look in to Limited models because they come standard with few things which are add on with other models.
    Some of the things are docking cleats, tube with inflator and rope, 12V outlet, solar battery charger panel, cover etc. I bought my VX Limitred 1.0 HO last May and love it. My 10yo and me on it 50mph, if you have kids they will LOVE IT... Flush the engine and wash it after every use!

ajcjr likes this.
  10. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

Sea Doo are my personal favorite but it’s been a while since I’d ridden any...for good reason. loo

joec likes this.
  11. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Subscribed.

I'm planning to add one or maybe two to the fleet this year.

12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Will there be a Bahama Rum Run this season?

13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

Polaris is easy to stay away from, they haven't built one in quite a number of years. I spent 10 years in a dealership that sold Kawasaki, Sea-Doo, and Yamaha. I wouldn't own a Sea-Doo if it was given to me. Yamaha was always the most reliable.

ajcjr likes this.
  14. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Yami great, Kawi ewww, Sea-doo if you hate yourself. That's for sitdowns, in which case green hulk is indeed a good forum. x-H20 if you want to be manly and fight bit*hes off with a fishing rod because you have so many [from riding a standup], or pwctoday if you like really old ski's.

15. wingsonwheels

wingsonwheels Well-Known Member

I have been involved with PWCs as long as I can remember. Back in the day, Yamaha was the workhorse, sea-doo the less reliable speedster. That still seems to be the case. I have a 2006 Honda Aquatrax F12x (3-seat turbo). I got it new for a song in 2007 since they were new to the market and not all that popular. Other than one bad wastegate control valve it has been good to me. Does about 65mph. Will pull a skier well enough. Since it is turbo, it is a little slower out of the hole than I would like, but goes like mad once spooled up. My daughter the 6yo speed-demon loves it. I let her control the throttle while I steer, she just pins the hell out of it until I make her slow down.

gt#179, Boman Forklift and ajcjr like this.