1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Porsche 928 fans here?

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jun 10, 2022.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Man, I always loved these cars growing up. My old man used to get them occasionally as company cars and nothing on the planet felt like it could move so effortlessly fast, smooth, and quiet. Sure, modern cars have eclipsed their performance many times over, but there was just something so right about that buttery smooth V8 and it's jet-engine whoosh as it spun up to redline.

With companies like Singer and Gunther Werks handling the resto-mod scene for the 911, it was only a matter of time before some of the other lesser-know 70's and 80's German sheetmetal started getting the treatment.

Happy to see this new company Nardone has knocked it outta the park.....

https://www.thedrive.com/news/nardo...od-has-a-futuristic-1980s-interior-to-die-for

[​IMG]

pjdoran and Phl218 like this.
  2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Always liked them but never found one with a manual transmission. All the Porsche people I talked to said they were marketed mostly to women but I still loved the lines

3. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

I actually prefer the original design.

When I was in high school, an older friend took a couple of us to a college party, ~1-1/2hrs away. In his 928, we we there in about half the time. He put it at 120mph and the the car effortlessly shot us over there. I’ve dreamt of one, since. That particular car was a shade of maroon on maroon, with an automatic.

4. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

I only want it if it can have bullet proof windows, a cellular phone and has coke residue in it.

SuddenBraking and dtalbott like this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

All Porsche 928s come with a free box of tampax

6. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Regular or super?

7. JTRC51

JTRC51 El Speedy Gonzalez

911, 930, 964, 993 & 356 here ❤️

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

There was a thread a few years back on the 928 love.

I’m warming up to them. I also love ugly, stupid cars. The 4 seat Ferrari, the panamerica Porsche. . . I still get bonered up over the M coupe. :D

9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Righteousness. :D

ducrcr and ducnut like this.
  10. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Updated design reminds me on an 80's 240/300zx, no likey.
    An honest, clean original GTS w/5 speed is a masterpiece.

ducnut likes this.
  11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

the biggest complaint of the 928 was the unreliability of the various "systems" like the climate or brakes, etc when they were in production. The folks I knew with them eventually got frustrated with the ownership experience.
    A close friend got the privilege of documenting a Tesla drive train conversion of a mint late 80s S4 example. The cost of the conversion was over $140k. The owners initial reaction, on the test drive, was hilarious.

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I saw the thread title and immediately knew that it was going to be about that car. I would take a stock 928 GTS or S4 over that any day. What they've done to the body just doesn't look right to me. Not particularly crazy about the interior either.

What's the point of modifying if you're not going to make it look better?

ducnut, notbostrom and 418 like this.
  13. 418

418 Expert #59

That thing is fugly.

The GTS was peak 928.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2022
    Scott S., motion, L8RSK8R and 4 others like this.
  14. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Yeah, the GTS is really a classy, beautiful car. A 1980 928 was my very first Porsche, purchased back in 1994. Maroon with black & white checkerboard seats. I used to drive it from SoCal to see family in Colorado, doing 140mph most of the way. That thing was a solid high speed cruiser. Mine was a gray market model, and was owned new by the police commissioner of East Berlin. I found a few Deutschmarks or whatever they were in the back seat cracks. Also, a few watches that I threw out years ago. Sort of miss it, but it had a lot of electrical and transmission problems.

418 likes this.
  15. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

What year are you interested in? I know a lot about them. Factory tech in the day..

16. L8RSK8R

Timing chain service every 30k and a 6 or 8 foot long serpentine belt.....almost true?

17. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Chain?

18. L8RSK8R

19. opinion914

opinion914 Well-Known Member

Same here. Oldman used to bring Porsches home when they were under the VW umbrella. The 928 was the 1st time I saw a phone in a car and I remember he let me call my gf from it.

NemesisR6 and 418 like this.
  20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Aren't their emergency brakes unreliable?