1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any mountain hunters here?

Discussion in 'General' started by SteveThompson, Jan 26, 2021.

1. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

Remember this thread?

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/what-do-you-want-to-accomplish.343437/

One of the things on my list was to kill a Dall Sheep. I'm getting more serious about it. I joined the Wild Sheep Foundation a couple of years ago and have been studying up. My wife and I even went to the Sheep Show last year. Anyway, I'm looking for any advice I can get. I really want to go in Alaska. I'd prefer in the arctic but I'm considering the Wrangell's. I don't have a rifle that I love. I'm thinking I'll build something. I've talked to and met some guides. My favorite so far is Aaron Bloomquist of Alaska Outfitters.

Has anyone here done this or have any thoughts?

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I have been sheep hunting (unsuccessfully) in the Kenai mtns in AK when I lived there. We had bad weather and couldn't see up the mountains. The next weekend my hunting partner went back and was successful. As far as a rifle goes, it doesn't take a bunch to kill a sheep. My brother has used a 270 and a 6.5 Remington Mag to kill sheep in AK he went to the Wrangells for one of his and the Brookes range for the other. If I were going again I would take my 6.5 Creedmoor.

3. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

I have a cousin who is a hunting guide. He's been big into sheep for a few years now. Hunts worldwide. Not sure where his website went, but the contact info in this post is correct. He is a one-man show, and does a ton of traveling, so might take a few days to get a response if he's out of cell reception.
    https://www.facebook.com/ecwsf/post...-hunt-for-one-hunter-that-w/1145782912100035/

4. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Sorry I can’t help you Steve, not my thing, but folks do this in the Chugach, Talkeetnas, Wrangells. Lots of guides around. Let me know if I can help out somehow.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I bagged my limit of mountains.

6. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

upload_2021-1-26_16-13-24.jpeg

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Im thinking he was referring to more like this....but hey whatever man. NTTAWWT

[​IMG]

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have to much compassion for my fellow humans to wear form fitting anything.

9. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member