1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any home builders... Green/Prefab home hippies??

Discussion in 'General' started by random hero, Oct 21, 2009.

1. random hero

random hero Banned

I'm looking into relocating, and my wife is having a bit of a hard time. We're going from a great, big city w/everything to a small town that's isolated, and outdated. Housing has been our biggest issue, we currently live in a newer area, where new homes and subdivisions are the norm, new homes (1500 sq ft) from mid 150's... Looking into moving where a 40 year old home that's similar size are $200+. We'd be moving because of me, so I'm trying to be as accommodating and understanding as possible, and my wife and I keep coming to the realization housing is almost a deal breaker...

So instead of spending 250k on an older house that would need some work, I REALLY like the idea of building a prefab-modern-green home. I've looked for something that could be erected quickly... I said erect:eek: ..... something that is cost effective, and most of all very efficient. Our potential destination is commonly the coldest spot in the nation, so I'm looking into some greener technology, solar, passive solar, radiant floor heat etc. I've found a couple "kits" that I like, but I'm not too sure how cost effective these kits are, so I figured what better place to ask then here.

Any input is appreciated!

Couple "kits" i've found I like:
    http://www.rocioromero.com/
    http://www.greenmodernkits.com/
    http://www.shelter-kit.com/index.php

2. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Someone is moving to Minnesoda. :)

Anyhow I'm interested in this type of building too for when I do it.

3. jkhonea

jkhonea Back Again

Here's the biggest drawback to "green" building at this point. Its still so new, its bringing a premium as far as materials and technologies costs. Its been coming down some, but not much. I honestly have doubts you'd ever get your money back out of it. Unfortunately in the construction industry, it seems to be 50/50 good and legit to marketing crap. I may be a bit optimistic with those numbers, actually.

Let me look and see if I can dig up some good information for you. Its hard to weasel out the legit part.
    I design houses for a living so am currently studying all of the green requirements for homes. Lot of stuff. And there is actually some pretty stupid stuff in there. ;)

4. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

Not a builder, but our family specializes in high effiecincy home builiding products. There are many products and building techinques that help with energy costs. A house can be from similar cost to 2x+ times more to be "green" and your return on investment will also vary considerably. We are in the south but can put you intouch with local companies that would be more fluent on coldweather techinques.

5. benjpi

benjpi Well-Known Member

Google "Larsen Truss"; there's some info there on home construction with very high efficiency. This construction, with dense-pack cellulose insulation, will net you a house that costs dollars per year to heat. I'm currently building out my garage that way, as "practice" for my planned retirement home.

You could check out Mother Earth News website, and poke around there. I don't know if anyone does that sort of construction prefab though.

There are Structural Insulated Panels (SIP's) available too, they aren't so green but they allow for very efficient house construction.

You're prolly too far north for solar electric to work, but you might be able to get some benefit from solar thermal, especially if you build "super insulated".

If you want to drop off the deep end, check out "Mortage Free" by Robert Roy.

If you're not really into the hippy/green thing that hard, do what she wants. :)

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Id get a waste oil heater. Then some 5 gallon jugs and start collecting waste oil from local sources. :D

7. random hero

random hero Banned

I should have been clearer on some things... Moving to Colorado, which offers tax rebates, etc. on "green living" such as solar energy. I'm not too concerned with house being green as Hulk, as I am something that's relatively simple and effcient. The R1 house uses SIP's, and is VERY cheap.. I think the entire kit to frame/shell in the house is around 20k, and the house is 1100 sq ft.... I'm interested in having a house that's built out of the elements, and assembled on site, as well as green ways. Colorado is one of the states that really promotes "being greeeeeeeeen"

8. chrison600

chrison600 Well-Known Member

I built my own place (or GC'd anyway) and found two consistent themes:

"Green" materials are pricey
    "Green-ready" labor is nonexistent

Even if I found a material or method I wanted to use to make my house more energy efficient, it was extremely difficult to find a contractor who could/would implement it correctly or without a premium bid.

For example, I have propane-fired tankless water heaters. (Highly recommended BTW.) When I introduced that concept to my plumber, he just about fell over. They are no more complicated to install than conventional heaters, arguably easier, but just because they were different, I got the stinkeye - and the higher bid.

On the cost side: You know that run-of-the-mill water heater vent pipe at Home Depot? Not with tankless heaters. My vent pipes? $1000 each assembly. Oh - they're FANCY! Multi-layer plastic piping, anti-siphon vents, rubber joint seals. But $1000 each! Crap! The vent pipes cost as much as the heaters!

Down here (Austin) we fight heat. I think most just throw AC at it. I upgraded insulation, applied thermal barriers, upgraded the HVAC equip, etc. But it cost big time.

Up where you are, you'll probably find people are more receptive to new ways to combat cold. I think it's more difficult to just throw more HVAC heat capacity at the problem...

Good luck and have fun.

Also - We found that it may not really save any $ contracting a build yourself. Yes - we spent less than we would have going through a builder - but - "Oh, you wanted LANDSCAPING?!" "Oh, you wanted a DRIVEWAY?!" That kind of stuff is assumed in a builder situation, but conveniently ignored in a self-build structure so that the overall costs seem lower...

9. vance

vance *

:stupid:
    Dead on.
    You may have better luck in a very cold climate, but when the standard is more common, cheaper, better known by the subs, it's a hard sell the green products.

10. Black46

Black46 Well-Known Member

11. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

You'll have to fight the people who want to make that into diesel.

12. chastain11

chastain11 Well-Known Member

http://www.builderonline.com/

There is a toolbar at the top "Green something" that has a dedicated area.

I build in LA and NC and there are different tax credits for different areas of the country as far as Green Building goes. Depending on how "progressive" they are in the area. I would research some local home builders for where ever you want to move. Talk to the salespeople there about their Green Building and the credits etc. Then, I would take that info and apply it myself. Just be careful that you are talking to salespeople. Most are very knowledgeable about the products they sell however, some can be misleading.

13. motolombardo

motolombardo Member

Currently I live in a lustron home- porcelin enameled steal panels inside and out, metal roof, metal studs, raidant heat etc. kind of along the lines of the rocio romero homes which the gf and I were going to go look at a few months ago- located in perryville, MO. The Romero homes look pretty affordable but I dont think they include any plumbing, electrical etc. plus you gotta figure the cost of having the foundation poured, gas and water run to the place and pretty soon the 80k house becomes a little more.

14. random hero

random hero Banned

My father was a carpenter and GC for many years until his recent bout with cancer, and just built a custom home with the design of a famed architect. The guy has won worldwide awards, and has some serious credentials. My problem is I have a beer budget, and he has Cristal Champagne taste... BUT I have spoke with him a limited bit about the idea of a green-simplistic plan, and will probably get a hold of him tomorrow to see if he has any insight.

Odd side note, sat down on the shitter just now and picked up Dwell magazine out of my pop's magazine rack, the Rocio Romero house was on the cover and featured.... Maybe it's a sing :)

15. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

I am a huge fan of Rocio Romero's work. She started out with the LV and has since come up with the LVL, Studio and Garage Modules. Out here in Ca., there are a number of architects that have jumped on the "Modular" bandwagon but their pricing does not reflect the original intent of low cost modular housing. Some of these guys are pricing their product @ $350.00 sq. ft. Those guys are nuts. I can stick frame a house for less than that.
    Rocio has really thought through the whole process. I have figured it would take 2 lead guys with helpers a month to get an LV weathered in. I have spent a lot of time looking at the simplicity of her energy and engineering solutions. Her solutions do translate into a good product for a reasonable price. I am a modernist at heart so her work appeals to me. She is pretty close to you in the midwest.
    My 2 cts. from a guy who likes to take commercial garages and turn them into live/work spaces......:D

16. ton

ton Arf!

i'm just finishing up buying a house in SW michigan, where housing prices are in your price range. i'd introduce the caveat that in the current market, building a house may well cost more than the house is worth when completed, even with traditional and extremely cheap current builders. both my insurance rebuild cost and mortgage (independent, not the city tax base) appraisal came in 15-20% ABOVE my buying price. every area of the country is different though, so... YMMV.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I just took a look at the Romero homes. Other than the contemporary design, how are they any different from the panelized homes I build in the '70's? Serious question. The industry has been around for well over 100 years.

18. six4six

six4six professionalgreasemonkey

Todays green market is a bit of a fizzle, many products will be abandoned in the next ten years. (lack of enough R&D) You have to be really careful when choosing green technologies.
    Home construction is dominated by "the lowest bidder", think about that for a second...:Puke: You can save money and resources by using a contractor willing to work with you and allow you to spec the best building materials and mechanical equipment you can possibly afford, rather than the lowest price products that your sub contractors can find (in hopes of landing a job). It will require a lot of homework and it will require more money than building a typical cookie cutter house. However it will pay off before the mortgage matures if you make the right choices.
    Areas that will require more money and attention are HVAC, windows and doors, wall construction, lighting, appliances, insulation and water heating equipment. If you spend more money in these areas your "budget build" that 98% of contractors are turning over today, will give you more bang for the buck than many of todays green alternatives.
    That is not to say you should blow your wad on outrageously expensive materials and equipment, just spend wisely. As I said do your homework, spend lots of time with the sub contractors and make sure they understand you are not looking for the cheapest house they can build for you.
    Solar panels have become a lot more reasonable in the past six months, and I look to that for the future. However I don't think the time is yet. Wind can produce small amounts of power spuraticlly, and has very high initial costs.
    I don't mean to be so hard on new technology but there is a lot of older stuff out there that is proven and not being used.
    Well sorry I have went on a bit of a ramble here but I could go for days on this topic. I am a mechanical contractor that specializes in HVAC and deal with this and similiar issues daily. So this was a bit of a loaded thread for me. I will stop rambling, but will be happy to be more specific on any of these issues if you are interested. Good luck:beer:

19. Sorry...I have to side with your wife on this one. Anyone that would to move to a cold isolated area in the states has a screw loose. :Poke::D

20. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Nah. Colorado has a LOT goin' for it.