1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Helicopter Pilots?

Discussion in 'General' started by Jefe, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

I'm contemplating getting my commercial helicopter pilots license and was wondering if there are any BBS'ers that have experience with this and could answer some questions for me.

I know that flight time minimums are required before you are able to get a offer from a good employer (1000+ hrs), and the pay scales that I've looked at are all over the place. I know that I'd never get rich doing this, and it looks like you live at poverty level for a few years while getting experience, but, I couldn't think of a job that I would be more happy going to every day than this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. tcasby

tcasby Banned

It's tough competing with ex-military. Turbine time is very expensive. Are you willing to invest 30K+ and do the CFI thing in R22s for a few years?

If you really want to fly helicopters for a living have you considered Army warrant officer flight school?

3. commo27

commo27 Member

I had a friend who was getting his lecense and he was using student loans to pay for the school. He loved flying and he knew there was no money in it for quite a few years. He was telling me he first job is usally being an instructor for the school he went to after graduating, or get hours by being one of those Helicopter tour guides. Once you get a good amount of hours in.. the real money is flying to Oil Rigs, or doing gigs by dropping kids off to snowboard off the top of the mountains.

4. Old Wanderer

Old Wanderer Old Quick Guy

I got my Rotorcraft-Helicopter rating many years ago. Never used it much, as it a tough field to break into. I was a Sr Pilot for Lockheed, when the Director of Flight ops asked me if I could fly a Huey.....naturally I said probably can.

I had a 2 hour checkout...and it was pretty easy to fly (before only had flown a Bell 47 but since they did not ask I did not say anything). I flew this bird off and on for the next 2 years in between some fixed wing stuff I was Captain on. Got about 200 hours, when on Friday, all the pilots went to some topless place to cash our checks in Las Vegas, over some beers I was asked by the Roto-head group how many hours I had flown Huey in Nam.

None I replied....then where did I get all my Huey time they wanted to know...Right here was my reply...

I was not allowed to fly it any more because of lack of experience????

The guy that raised the most hell had crashed 2 helicopters in the past year. I had never put a scratch on anything.

So be prepared for a lot of narrow mindedness in the business.

5. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Dang, I agree with Casby again. What jobs are out there for chopper pilots? Traffic news, Police, oil rigs, tourists. Kinda limited, and as Casby said- there are thousands of ex-Army chopper pilots who aren't flying any longer. The pay isn't going to knock your socks off, either.

Helicopters aren't designed to fly. They just beat the air into submission.
    CRASH

6. Photo

Photo Well-Known Member

7. B.Curvin

B.Curvin Well-Known Member

dorks

8. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

A good freind of mine is a ARNG pilot here in CA. He has a full time gig flying for the state. He has told me that they are really hurting for good people to go to flight school. Keeps talking about the 'morons' they have to send. They have even changed the age, visoin requirements and stuff to get more people.

Might not ne your thing, but its the easiest way to get a butt load of time. He has over 2000 hours roto time in only about 5-6 years.

9. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Mark B need not apply....:Poke:

10. JWVance

JWVance Well-Known Member

I know a guy who flies for the Coast Guard. He posts on the NESBA site under Leanangler. He might have some useful info.

11. bpeeples

bpeeples Well-Known Member

Helicopter Pilot

I flew helicopters for the Army in Vietnam and was a flight instructor at the Army Primary Helicopter School after that. When I see a movie or tv show that has a helicopter landing, I can tell just by watching if it is flown by a military or civilian trained pilot. You cannot beat, IMHO, the 100 hour plus of dual instruction that you get with the military training. Helicopters are a blast to fly and can do real tricks that a fixed wing pilot can't even conceive of. That said, they are very expensive to maintain. Many time-change items will tempt any private, profit oriented organization to skip on. In other words, if you are the bottom of a crowded job market, you may end up flying for cheap charlie, where the low wages will be the least of your worries. Another reason to do the military thing. Good luck. Ben.

12. helicopter99

helicopter99 Well-Known Member

I got my commercial rating in 99. It takes a truck load of money and time to get your commercieal rating. Unfortunately that is only the beginning of a long and lonely road to flying choppers. I had my own for two years and the worst part is the f***** insurance companies. I sold the heli and started to do an intern in the heavy lift industrie. Again, duty called and my mentor was called to Iraq as he was a Blackhawk pilot in the reserves and had to go.
    Heavy lift is def. where it is at for me but for now I just fly other peoples as it is much much cheaper. My advice, join the service, can't beat it for training and benifits, yeah you may get shot at but hey you get to shoot back right?

13. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

Thanks for all the input.

What most of you are saying (join the Military) is what I was expecting. I'm looking at doing it the hard way because I'm 38 and have about half the money for Commercial Rating training already.

As was stated, a large portion of the jobs are in the Gulf flying to & from the Oil Platforms, the Grand Canyon and Hawaii. Getting Turbine time is the big killer financially, $800/hr.

I'm taking all of your comments into consideration and will let you know if this is the direction I go in.

Thanks again!

14. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

If you want to do it... go for it. Aviation is hard to break in to no matter what. My opinion is that you need to get your ratings, instruct, get to know some people and be hyper-aware for opportunities and slightly open doors. If you do a good job and have ANY social skills you are already ahead of most pilots I meet. This is not an industry where you can get a degree and some training and get a decent job. You have to work hard for it. BUT... I love coming to work every day and it has been worth it. I have dealt with many military pilots trying to make the transition to civilian flying and most I have met were not successful. Granted, those were all fixed wing pilots. But, I think to say that the military is the only route is just not true.

Fly Safe!

STEVE

15. R1ZOOM

R1ZOOM Well-Known Member

I have a radio controlled helicopter I've only crashed a couple of times...does that qualify me as a helicopter pilot??? :moon: :D

16. healthhut

healthhut Expert #18

And he only flew it once.:up:

17. helicopter99

helicopter99 Well-Known Member

unfortunatley the jobs you are looking at are all the hard ones to get and take more ratings. Flying out to oil platforms is almost always a mandatory
    IFR rating. Sight seeing is alittle easier but they are getting more and more
    strict on the hrs required due to the ins. cost and people stuffing them at a
    high rate due to the fact that these are usually the starter piolt jobs. If you
    are going to do it the hard way like I did then the best thing I can tell you is
    get your rating and network with people. Possibly get your CFI rating and build some time that way. If you have good people skills you will be amazed
    at the doors that will open for you once you get some time under your belt.
    I have flown probably 15 different ships. Everything from a R22 to a Puma.
    Oh yeah don't buy your own ship like I did unless you have a dump truck full of cash for Ins. and inspections. I sold mine and am now way ahead of where
    I was in terms of cost per hour flying.

Good Luck