1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any GOOD deals on laptops out there?

Discussion in 'General' started by Clay, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

We have one laptop and I tend to hog it a bit. My wife said she wants another one. So I figured why not at least look. I'm not looking for SUPER high end, but a decent i7 w/16gb and an SSD with a good graphics card, not something that's shared memory. I'd like for something in the 500 range, but it's probably not gonna happen. Who knows though, everyone seems to know everything around here so I figured I'd at least ask.

2. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

In on this thread... I need one as well...

3. I can’t remember any of the specs (or the price for that matter), and didn’t know what all that shit meant anyway. But I recently grabbed a 17” LG “Gram” and I love it.

It is a 17” viewable screen, in a 15.9” body. So technically it is classed as a 17”, but it will fit in any protector, backpack, etc made for a 15.9”.

The best part is that it only weighs about 3lbs. It’s the lightest 17” laptop on the market.

I got it for traveling.

They also make one just like it, but is a 15.9” viewable, in a 14” body. It is cheaper, and a little lighter (I think it is about 0.4lb lighter).

4. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

If looking used I have a Lenovo with your specs I have up on ebay

5. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

Knowing your typical purchasing choices, it's probably out of my league. LOL

I'm not worried about being super light or anything. About the only real horsepower I need is for video editing. 500 or even 256 SSD would be plenty as I store all vids on an external drive. The one we have now is actually super thin, i7, SSD, but it gets very hot when I edit video. It just wasn't meant to do much real work.

6. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

You're more than welcome to send me the link. I've got my eye on one locally that's on CL for 620, was gonna offer him 500 but figured I'd ask up here first.

7. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

I know people with disagree but I've had excellent luck with used think pads off eBay. They never slow down and just work.

8. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

I just bought a Lenovo with those specs in December, and it was 1,200$.. and Lenovo has the absolute worst customer service btw.. actually I have a laptop sitting here that's i3 SSD etc etc that they sent me by mistake, and won't send me a return slip and never charged me for, the only issue is it's a German computer, keyboard etc:rolleyes:

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Look at refurbished...seriously.

10. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Newegg is a good place to buy laptops. They run specials.

11. Aberk

Aberk Well-Known Member

This. I haven't used this site, but a few friends have.

https://us.refurb.io/

12. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

13. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

THAT'S the site I was trying to remember but couldn't. I used to buy all my parts there when I built my own systems. Some nice deals there if I want to spend a little more.

14. jksoft

jksoft Well-Known Member

I like the idea of refurbished but in practice it's never worked out for me. I've always ended up with a lemon. Make sure you know what the return and warranty policy are if going that route.

15. Clay

Clay Well-Known Member

I'd only ever buy refurb if it was from the manufacturer and they offered a good warranty. I won't buy refurbed from a 3rd party site.

16. 418

418 Expert #59

I've bought multiple refurbs from Ebay. Thay all seem to take a shit in one way or another in couple of years.

Not bad really considering the price but keep in mind I'm not doing trusting my life with the thing. If you have actual work do to with your laptop I'd prolly go with new.

17. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My daughter has been using a certified refurbished Macbook Air since 2012. I've had certified Dell and HP for years. Overall though, I have to agree with 418. For a primary or business computer, I would go new.

18. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

I just get mine direct from Dell. Bought both on sale this past year. A 17" Inspiron i7, 16gb (upgraded from 8gb), 2TB storage hdd and added a 512gb M.2 SSD as the boot. Total for everything was just a tick over a grand. Boots in 15 sec. Bought a little Inspiron 11 2in1 for travel. Paid $275 for it on sale.

19. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

I’ve bought 3 refurbs from Tiger Direct. They are an authorized Microsoft refurb/reseller with a warranty. Look for Grade A machines on their site. Everything I’ve bought has looked and worked like new or with little to light use. I buy Dell or HP business machines that were originally $1000-1300 for $300. None of them has had any issues and they are 4, 3 and 2 years old respectively. It’s easy to pick the features you want too, which was important to me.

418 likes this.
  20. jonathanp

jonathanp Tech drop out

I am also looking at needing a laptop. New job may allow me to work from home and I have no idea what to look for specs wise. Budget would be $900 or less. I had an asus 2 in 1 that I liked but boots up and ran slow at times.