1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any computer nerds?

Discussion in 'General' started by MVA25, Jul 23, 2019.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue what you're on about but I really like Fusion. :) As you say, never had a hardware issue - even running a usb to serial cable.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I prefer swapping back to the Mac side of things for all my normal stuff and only using Windows for the things I have no choice on. Also keeps the scoring stuff all alone on it's own system without having to worry about running other programs and screwing with it (never been an issue but would like to keep it that way with scoring).

3. Anymore there are few things you can’t do with a Mac that you can do with Windows. I completely abandoned Fusion a few years ago once all the stuff I regularly do became OSX native.

4. He is being the quintessential Harbinger of Doom. :)

I get it - exploiting Cyber paranoia is in my job description.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sadly none of our scoring or membership stuff works with it, everything else however yeah, I just use the mac end of things.

I'm with Stupid likes this.
  6. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Yep, and the first step is to download a disk wiper ISO and 7 pass wipe the drive then reinstall Windows using the key on the sticker underneath the laptop. Not only do you have a higher degree of assurance that the build is clean, the system will run 10x's faster without the bloat ware.

BigBird likes this.
  7. No consumer buyer does that - they just assume, like @backcountryme, that Windows is somehow safer, because Microsoft :D

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

Not at all. What I'm sharing is informed knowledge. I'm sorry I can't say more, but there is plenty of open source intel that will complete the picture for you. For Parallels, it dates back to 2012-2013.

9. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

I agree. And those are the people who inevitably pay the ransomware.

Again, I shared some information with you. You are by no means obligated to listen to a thing I have to say.

10. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Although Apple sure is trying to make it difficult. IT engineer on OS X, still pissed they took telnet away... I LIKED having access to that right from the shell out of the crate, it wasn't a security risk, it wasn't exactly 'bloating' the install... WHY apple, WHY?!

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pure guess but I'd bet not enough people used it to bother putting it in there.

12. No, I get it. We are about 90% Mac for end-user compute devices, out of approx 600,000 EUCDs. We don’t allow Parallels. But we engage in outside electronic communications and shit.

13. Telnet can be a major security hole. There are „secure“ Telnet apps available.

14. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Telnet SERVERS sure, as in you can sniff the activity to see logins/passwords, the telnet CLIENT? That I've not seen used as a security vulnerability. As far as not bothering, it takes them more effort to stop it from getting built/packaged as part of the FreeBSD userland than it does to leave it in there.

15. Yeah, the client is less insecure than Server, but it still has vulnerabilities, especially if you can sniff the connection.

Blame us and Cisco for its removal. We‘re not sorry :)

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I'm going to need to see some CVEs against the telnet client before I accept that line.

17. As we all say here in Europe - not my job :D. My job is to induce panic, not ameliorate it.

18. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I never said Windows was safer, just that Mac is not as safe as everyone believes it is.

19. Again, absolute bullshit. You said, and I quote:

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well now we are getting into semantics. The threat to a windows machine is larger simply because the user base is so large it makes it more attractive to bad actors. The biggest thing Windows has done to improve security is to not default every user as an admin. That kills 90% of the avenues of attack. In that particular instance Windows is about 10 years behind any flavor of Unix, Linux or their derivatives.

Memory randomization, UAC, application sandboxing and the things that they have added to the OS has just improved upon the situation.

backcountryme likes this.