1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any baseball umpires here? Little Joey needs gear.

Discussion in 'General' started by dtalbott, Mar 11, 2022.

1. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

I call him little, but he's not. He needs umpire gear for behind the plate.

Rough size is 6' 6'', 375.

I don't even know where to look for gear his size.

Any help will be appreciated.

2. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

Section of Air-fence and a ratchet strap?

(I'm 6'7" 250lbs but dang...6'6" 375 is a big fella)

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Umpire??? Isn't he like 19? WTH is he umpiring?

4. dtalbott

Baseball. It pays well for a part time job.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

If it’s anything like lacrosse up here it pays stupid awesome. :up:

dtalbott likes this.
  6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Did he play football this past season at high school again?

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Baseball goes on forever but the kid across the way got $65 to $75 for a game. As an “assistant” official.
    Tell Joey to learn to learn to officiate lacrosse or soccer, that’s where the real cash is. :D

dtalbott likes this.
  8. dtalbott

Didn't play in a game. Coaches couldn't make the effort to find a complete set of gear that was big enough.

9. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Well that’s some bullshit, sorry to hear it. As far as gear, think laterally. You’re up in NE somewhere? Call the Boston Red Sox. I’m serious. When Fred wrecked his wrist on a dirt bike in Phoenix, I called the Diamondbacks to find out who their surgeon was. You’d be surprised how people are willing to help when you ask.

dtalbott likes this.
  10. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That stinks.

dtalbott, R Acree and Sabre699 like this.
  12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

It does absolutely stink. I absolutely want that known up front I agree.

However to just try to look at it from another vector….just because I kind of like to look at things from different angles. Do you budget the funds for a kid that size then have the equipment become dormant forever because you never see a player that size again?

Helmets and shoulder pads would be the largest expense. Helmets for non motorcycle people cost a lot. We are kinda numb to it.

Not knowing the young man’s ability, but guessing he’s somewhat athletic. Do you think the coaches enjoyed maybe having him on the sidelines not dressing? That’s a bulldozer to any running back having a 1500 yard season sitting unused.

I say this as a Dad myself who basically had to replace all my sons riding gear this year because the season ended and the little shit shot up 4 inches and gained 20+ pounds, and his feet look like scuba fins now on his body. He’s gonna look like Shaq compared to the other MiniGP kids if he podiums this year. He towered over them last year. So I’ve kinda felt this pain.

But they should have found a way to let the kid suit up and play. He gets that chance to play organized football only during a short window in life and it could have lead to a scholarship.

dtalbott likes this.
  13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

That's BS.

dtalbott, R Acree and Sabre699 like this.
  14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

15. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

In my professional opinion that is a violation of school law in not allowing equal access to all school activities. Especially true since most athletics receive some federal funding.

16. StaccatoFan

Ok. Not being a dick here. Seriously asking. You an attorney?

17. BC

BC Well-Known Member

If he wants to play and they won't get him gear we got his back. Just let us know.

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

No, I am a retired school administrator so I am pretty well versed in the aspects of school law, which is why I stated it as my professional opinion. School law is different from other parts of the legal system as it deals with minors and the rights of students and parents when it comes to each student being entitled to a free and appropriate public education.
    School sports and activities may be considered part of the education process especially when public and government funds are involved. It is a very interesting aspect of law that I needed to be aware of every day during the course of my work. If I were the school administrator of Joey's school and this were brought to me, I would be having the coach explain to me why he was unable to get the proper equipment and cost would not have been a legitimate reason. If equipment was requested by the coach, then the cost would have become my problem as required by law.

Yzasserina likes this.
  19. StaccatoFan

Thanks @kenessex, I was legitimately wanting to understand your experience base here, wasn't doubting it at all....just for me, the phrase "professional opinion that is a violation of school law" made me go direction of thinking you were an attorney.

Appreciate the clarification.

My point about the cost, etc was more from an individual's perspective, not through the all the institutional layers you describe.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I just went through trying to buy some gear for my goalies (somehow got dragged up to coaching HS and “helping” with a D1 team) and it’s a fight to get gear for the girls. We get exactly 0 dollars from the school and 0 from the county. Want a box of new balls, two new goals, a f@ckin’ whistle? Find a way on your own to get it!
    Helmets are the exception but getting blood from a stone and all that.

I’m lucky, we have some serious money from outside that could run a MA superbike program if we tried but it’s still fighting mike Tyson for scraps.

Yzasserina likes this.