1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any AWS experts here that want to make a few $$$ ?

Discussion in 'General' started by motion, Apr 3, 2020.

1. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thought I'd give it a try....

I've had an AWS server for 8ish years. Monthly bill has stayed at around $430 during the last 8 years, even though my utilization has decreased by about 70-80%.

Looking for someone I can trust that knows what they're doing to make some adjustments which will reduce my monthly expenditure significantly.

If you're looking for something to do, are trustworthy and have the skills, hit me up :)

2. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Utilization doesn't matter, you pay when an instance is running. Can it be shut down for certain hours? Is the instance larger than it needs to be?

3. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have no idea! Your questions are way beyond me, unfortunately. When you say shutdown... you mean for evaulation or adjustment? In that case, yes. Its OK late at night/early morning for a short period of time. All of my customers are USA-based.

4. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

You pay up for the ability to scale up an instance when it's running, so there is a certain amount of fixed cost to "buying insurance".

5. brex

brex Well-Known Member

I just meany simply turned off. Lambda function to turn off/on at certain times will reduce your bill a bit. If you want to give things a go yourself, you could start with the TrustedAdvisor service. I spend a lot of time in AWS, have both solutions architect and devops engineer pro certifications.
    I have a whole department that does the majority of our stuff so I don't have to do any of it, but I still stay up to date with stuff and mess around because I enjoy it.

6. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Just ping'd our head of tech - PM me a login and he'll take a look. He's an aspy motherfucker but he'll solve your problems :D

motion likes this.
  7. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I have a 2nd AWS server that is about a year old and is serving a bunch of customers. Its only $45 per month.

8. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks.... I don't think I can give you a login that easily, yes? I mean, someone could do a lot of damage. Is their a temp user I can setup for you or something like that?

9. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Right... it does need to be running 24/7. I'll check out TrustedAdvisor.

10. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.03.32 PM.png

11. brex

brex Well-Known Member

You have to create a user in IAM and assign it roles. It can be anything from read only to full admin, but you do need to know at least a bit what you are doing to assign those policies/roles. I can do whatever in AWS...just not sure if you find me trustworthy. :) And IAM users are temporary in that you can go delete it whenever you want to.
    I would bet it is the instance type. You have to shut it down to change it, but it can be done really quick and easy. Trusted advisor will even suggest what to change it to.

Well, seems you don't get the optimization. But you're really going to want to enable MFA at the very least, or your account could be hijacked without too much trouble by a jackass that went looking.

What is the instance type that is less expensive, what is the type of the older, more expensive instance?

12. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Thanks!!!!

So is the MFA a big deal? I wonder why my reg dev guy is allowing that?

Here is the expensive server:

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.13.26 PM.png

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Cheap server looks the same?

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.16.09 PM.png

14. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Yeah, MFA gives you a second line of defense if someone tries to login.
    That's just the beginning of the types in your VPC. Go to the EC2 console, look at running instances. It will show the instance type in the line next to the name (if you assigned one), ID, etc.

To be blunt, most dev guys don't know their ass from a hole in the ground when it comes to actual hardware/technology. A devops guy would, but most devs are just code monkeys.

15. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Expensive server billing details (to Apr 3):

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.19.05 PM.png

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Go to the EC2 console, then click on "running instances".

17. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Weird, I posted it but now its gone.

18. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Running

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.21.18 PM.png

19. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Where's the other one?
    Either way, an m3 is old. The newer generations of instances are less expensive - m4 will be less than the m3, m5 will be less than the m4. And the new AMD instances are less than standard.
    So if your instance needs to be an mX.large, change it to an m5a.large.
    You'd likely be fine with a t3a.large, unless it is constantly hammered.

20. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Here's the $45 per month one:

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 4.30.00 PM.png