1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Tire Question - Dunlops

Discussion in 'General' started by HRC-E.B., Sep 13, 2012.

1. HRC-E.B.

HRC-E.B. Well-Known Member

Would like some advice on selecting Dunlop tires (the only vendor available to me in time for my upcoming track day is a Dunlop vendor, and I have been happy with Dunlops in the past...):

I used to race a 600 on UK Dunlop D211 DOT tires in 2010. I was extremely happy with with the soft front DOT (7614 or 7704, don't recall). The grip, feel and wear were all exceptional. I was also absolutely satisfied with the 6680 rear, which gripped enough for my speed and had the best durability of any tire I have ever used.

I no longer race and will ride trackdays on a 1000cc. I would like to get tires that perform as well and last as long as these 2010 DOTs did.

Available choices are:

1- UK-made DOTs at $490 per set.

2- UK-made slicks at $490 per set.

3- US-made slicks at $380 per set.

The Buffalo-made slicks are obviously much cheaper. Question is: are they as good as the UK-made DOTs in terms of outright grip and, importantly, wear characteristics?

Is there a big difference in feel/performance/wear between the UK DOTs and UK slicks? What about the US slicks?

What compound should I use in the UK slicks or US slicks to get as close a resemblance to the UK DOTs soft front (no longer available) and 6680 rear?

Since this is for trackdays and a fast-group pace (but not quite race-pace), which would be the better option? I have two days back-to-back to do this year and would be happy if I could re-use the tires again next season. (I use warmers to warm my tires and let them cool-off on the unplugged warmers at the end of the day to preserve them).

Thanks for your advice!

2. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I always run the hard UK front and the hard UK rear at TD's. I've heard the US fronts do not last as long as the UK fronts. Maybe get a UK front and a US rear to save some $$ but still have great tires for a whole weekend.

3. motorbykemike

motorbykemike beer snob

4. HRC-E.B.

Some Guy: how does the hard UK rear perform in cooler conditions? Are you using DOTs or slicks?

5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

with dunlops, you run hard compounds in colder conditions, and softer in hotter conditions. it's counter-intuitive, but the softer compounds tear like crazy in the cold.

But the UK's wear like iron... the GP-A's, not so much

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

That isn't unique to Dunlop.

7. ronaldo9

ronaldo9 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to mention the GPA dot front lasts forever. Almost as long as the ntec front. I've been running them all season sometimes Us GPA front with an Ntec rear. The GPA rear does not last as long as the UK ntec dot. The US slick are very good and grip very well and a cheaper alternative.

8. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

These are the slicks. It's my understanding though that the slicks and DOT's are the same tire so wear between the two should be the same.

I'm on a 1000 so not sure what this is worth but the med+ (6680 or 6838) would slide in the first few corners but it would be fine after a lap.

9. d-wire

d-wire Well-Known Member

for a trackday guy on a liter bike....Id recommend the US Slicks. Best bang for the buck. They have stupid grip, pretty similar feel and better value. They do take a lap to come in, so be mindful of that. I don't think they heat cycle quite as well as the UK tire, but not terrible. Hunt, Big Tim and myself have all one Wera N 1k races on them this year. Like all tires, having the right compound is key....call your Dunlop guy to get the suggested compound for the track. You'd be splitting hairs to talk about the difference between them and the tires you ran and were happy with in 2010

10. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

11. HRC-E.B.

I would expect that performance ought to be about similar between the US slicks and the UK DOTs, as you mention.

My concern was wear: what to expect of the US slicks vs UK DOTs? Under normal conditions, I could get a very solid 4 days at a respectable pace out of the UK DOTs, using warmers between sessions and to cool the tires off slower at the end of the day. Can I shoot for the same kind of durability with the US slicks?

12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Depends on the track. I used the 7455 med+ rear tire at one Putnam and destroyed it. Then i used the same compound at Beaverun (almost the exact weather conditions) and it looks brand new still. I used the 13G8 front for 3 days at Roebling, 1 track day at Mid OH and a race day at Putnam. I ran my fastest ever time at putnam on that tire (mid 1:14). Last weekend i used a 5346 front at Beaverun and after practice and 3 sprints it still looks new. For the price, the USA slicks are the move. There are some days where track surface and temp may combine to destroy your tires but i think when it happens it's gonna happen with almost any tire.

13. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

From my experience on a R1 the US KR448 slick front in medium lasts about the same as the Uk one, the US KR449 slick medium rear in the 190 is the same as the US D211 (1 with tread, 1 w/o) and on a liter bike gets chewed up really quick. I can't speak to the 200 size as I have never tried it.
    I run a Conti slick rear in med and the Dunlop KR448 medium front at trackdays and am confident on the setup