1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another tire pressure gauge thread (digital)

Discussion in 'General' started by surfingsk8r, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I like the bleed valve feature.
    On the digital gauges with the bleed valve does the pressure reading change as you bleed down the pressure (like an analog gauge) or does the gauge have to be reset to read the new pressure?

2. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

I bet it changes but I can't honestly say it does as I have an analog gauge. I'm not sure how those people who posted the chincy little piece of crap digital gauges change their pressures without a bleed valve. That'd drive me nuts!

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

Well it's true to some extent, but I've read that ambient temperature may also affect analog gauges too, so I'll rather just trust a digital gauge and well #becausedigital

4. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

Did you ever vent your longacre gauge before using it? As I recall that was one of the major selling points for their analog gauges was that it has a vent (including liquid filled) that can be opened to compensate for atmospheric pressure changes.

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

Don't think it had a vent. If it did, then too late. My buddy had a different model, bought years later and his was also off, so after those two experiences, I don't trust their stuff.

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I have a chincy digital gauge and an analog gauge.
    The digital one is over 20 years old. It still reads accurately and I've never had to change the battery (not sure it's possible). But it's a pain to use.
    My analog gauge accurately reads a pound and a half high. :D It's easy to use so that is my go-to and I just make sure to account for it reading high. Every now and then I check it against my digital one to make sure it is still reading the same.

7. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

This. The end.

incidentally, one of the biggest benefits imo of using a digi gauge is that analog gauge readings can be very dependent on the operator, for the ones that 'hold'. i can easily change the value by 2-3 psi based on technique. so, their use is more art than objective. i'm not artistic. jmo.

vince
    :D

8. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I have been impressed with them. I have a high end one that I use to check other gauges.

I have two models of digital versions. I'll get the numbers off of them when I get int he trailer this weekend. I normally have two levels of the analog also. Right now I have them ranging from $45-90.

The most important thing about a tire gauge isn't how accurate it is. It's how repeatable it is. If it's off 5 psi and it always reads that, it's still usable. Just don't lend it to anyone.

With analog, always tap the bleed off when you check the pressure. When you first put the gauge on there, it swings from the bottom and may go past where it should stop. Tapping it backs it off just a little and lets it settle where it belongs.

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

:stupid:

10. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Fuck yeah.