1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Scam Phone Call

Discussion in 'General' started by grasshopper, Oct 17, 2018.

1. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

This was a good one. The call came in from Billings Montana. I answer because I have a contractor out that way but haven't heard from them in a while. They state they are trying to get a hold of my sister in law to serve a complaint issued on her. I figure it's legit because she's a Chicago cop and maybe something did happen. They state that they can't get a hold of her which sounded legit as well because she's working nights right now. They had her full name and give me a phone number and reference number for her to call. I finally get a hold of her and she calls the number and they have her full name and social security number and state that she is 900 bucks delinquent on US cellular bill. The guy on the phone actually started yelling at her that they will have a warrant out for her arrest and all this shit. Wow that was a good one but we both read through the bullshit. They put some work into that one. The weird thing is they said they had my name as an emergency contact. How did they relate her through me we have no idea. Fucking scum bags...

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

They actually have or just said they have her SSN?

3. grasshopper

They recited her SSN to her when she called!!! She was like WTF!?!

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Tell her to put a lock on her credit asap. That's f@cked, man!

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Scam or collection agency?

6. grasshopper

I did. I told her to call all three credit bureaus

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Your SS number is all over the place out there.

8. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

143 million social security numbers are available to download for free on the dark web because of the Equifax breach. Just because someone can recite your social security number back to you over the phone doesn’t mean they’re legit. In fact, legitimate organizations won’t give you a social security number over the phone unless they’ve validated that YOU are who YOU say you are.

auminer likes this.
  9. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Also ... All DOD and Military were compromised via the OPM breach.

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yeah, unless you've lived off the grid for your whole life, pretty much all your shit is out there somewhere. I waiting for the day somebody comes face to face with their clone from the DNA sample they sent in to 23andme :D

11. Robo calls and scammer calls are definitely something I don’t miss since moving to Europe. You guys have my sympathy.

12. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

I have zero credit cards

Once a month I get the robo call offering to lower my interest rates, so I press 1 to be connected to the next available representative, which is the same dumass dude. He answers , says his spill and I reply " sup bro, hadn't heard from ya in a month, how's ya mama and them!" The call ends...

Hahahahaa

gixxernaut and Phl218 like this.
  13. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Im curious...how do you access the dark web???

14. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Dark web browser.

notbostrom likes this.
  15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Edit: Nevermind, I'll just Google it before I get a, HTLMGTFY link.

16. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

TOR is the most well known one

17. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Any calls from Montana, the Dakotas, Wisconsin and Minnesota are usually scams. Thats what Ive been dealing with for the last 2-3 years.

18. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

And their spouses, children, and family members who were all listed on their SF-86.

19. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

the easy way with TOR set on default settings makes one an instant target so BE WARE

if you aint got time to learn the nuts and bolts of networking and code dont risk it. its a honey pot.

bout the only legit reason to use it is for investigative journalist with deep state secrets.

20. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

The easiest way is to download the Tails bootable iso image to CD/DVD or USB. Boot to the image and it will automatically connect you to the TOR network with secure settings. It can be used to access the dark web or to use the TOR network to anonymize your internet browsing. And yes, there are (very) legitimate uses for TOR.
    Tails image: https://tails.boum.org/

Another secure image (non-TOR) is TENS. This is a locked down bootable distro developed by Air Force Research Lab (AFRL) that is used in pockets of the DoD: https://www.spi.dod.mil/index.htm