1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Rossi leg dangle thread

Discussion in 'General' started by The Dung Beetle, May 14, 2009.

1. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I saw somebody do it at the Roger Lyle track day last Monday at Shenandoah Circuit. I almost fell off my bike I was laughing so hard in my helmet. The guy did it several times (that I saw) during the day, so it was not an accident. He was also slow as hell. Funny stuff.

Harley guys put their feet out for miles. :)

2. Maybe he is just stretching his legs:D

3. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

I can't see any reason for it, but maybe if you have nutz the size of grapefruits it's a re-positioning thing... :beer:

4. JimmyOOOOO

JimmyOOOOO pin it.

I've heard a couple different announcers on BBC call it a "stress meter", which after reading some of these posts, makes a little bit of sense. Sounds like it could be a leftover from MX riding, combined with the fact that it's the one body part you can dangle in the wind to try and relieve the tension of going into a corner too hot.

Rossi has actually started dragging his foot on the ground before turn in as well... he's such a showman, that could be like how he picks his ass on camera before every race.

5. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

My favorite explanation:

:D

6. porkyb

porkyb Chasing LWT Twins

:confused:Wut THA F.?????

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  7. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I think it's someone saying he wants to tie Rossi's leg to the bike to match his shirt... :confused:

8. I hate when it hits 70% discount and my size is compromised......pfft.

9. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I was behind a guy for 3 or 4 laps at the last Summit event, and he was doing the dangle every lap going into turn 3.

Very weird to see, lap after lap.

10. G 97

G 97 Garth

Anyone have a link to a utube type vid of this. I didnt see the race.

11. MrWheeler

MrWheeler Well-Known Member

They all got nuth'n until I see both feet come off braking for a turn, like many of our street riders around here do

:D.

12. pg_rider

pg_rider Doesn't race anymore...

:40 seconds in... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOyQNF7DEGo

Strange example because he usually does it big-style on lefts, not so much on rights...

13. edehaven

edehaven Eric DeHaven SoCalRaceDad

So Austin started doing it as well recently.
    Evidently he has been asking around and one of the riding coaches he knows that works with many of the GP riders over in europe told him if he wanted to know what it does "try it" then talk to him about it after.

He did, at Buttonwillow last weekend, and when he came back in I asked him what he thought.
    His answer was that in "some" not all corners when he was very deep and hard on the brakes it gave him more stability before tip in as he could counteract the bikes tendency to get unsettled with the leg hanging out as a couterbalance. He said that of course as noted he had to have it back on the bike before he tipped in, but he felt that in turn 1 and entering the sweeper he could go an extra 20ft or so on the brakes. He has not spoken with the coach about it yet but when he does I will try to get the low down.

Now this is all in the mind of a 15yr old, so maybe its Rossi envy :)
    but he was damn fast all weekend.

14. This year, he has been doing it almost equally in rights and lefts, as opposed to previous years when he did it mainly in lefts. That is why I started this thread.

BTW, he wanted a video of Spies doing it:Poke:

15. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Sometimes this muscle in my groin gets this acutely painful rear set-induced cramp, usually around lap four at the most inopportune time, this in turn causes me to appear Italian and very cool with my own version of the Rossi leg dangle, albiet at considerably slower speeds...

16. IMO, that is why everyone else is doing it. Maybe not envy, but simply trying to do everything they can to be as fast as him. One of the commentators said that they all owe Rossi one euro for every time that they do it.

17. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

How much would Schwantz's cut be?

18. IDK, maybe 50 50, since he invented it, but Rossi made it popular:D

19. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Cut? Cut you say? Dangling legs is for pussies, the Euros should bow in awe before Schwantz utter Schwantznesses, or something like that...Schwantz dangled everything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fok9Y22FEM

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I taught Schwantz to do it years ago. :up:

:D