1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another realtor rant...

Discussion in 'General' started by Tristan, May 3, 2022.

1. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

So, after 4 months in our new place I get the old house ready to sell. As much as I loathe the traditional realtor arrangement I just want it done so I can concentrate on the pile of projects at the new house, so we enlist the old realtor friend of my wife's (he did suffer through showing us like 20 places when we bought so he earned his $$ there). I provide the pics and a nice write up, 3 days later the listing shows up... shows 1 br instead of 3, has like half the pics (the bad half) and 5+ misspellings (I'm talking post brain injury spelling using a potato). Sad thing is how common listings like this are (we saw plenty in the 2.5 years of searching), and the fact that this half-assed effort still results in a fat check for them in the end. But hey- if we get the asking price or more he'll be my bestest buddy (he asked me what to list at and added $20K).

2. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

That sucks. Fwiw with the market being on fire like it has been, I don't think lack of quality pictures or proper spelling would hinder your sale in any way. I see this on a daily basis though...someone entrusts you to sell the largest asset in their life and people can't take 10 minutes to write a creative description or in some cases even actually set foot on the property! :eek:

BigBird likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

I’ve had some good ones and a couple of lazy crappy ones that I fired. If they aren’t going to hump it for you, fire them and get another, otherwise they add zero value.

20 places over 2.5 years. Damn dude, :eek:

4. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

SOOOOO many listings on Zillow with inaccurate addresses, lots' square footage numbers posted as acres. (4000 acres in downtown Dallas for 350k?? I don't think so). Shitty pics. Grammar and spelling. Damn, it might be a reasonable WFH idea fixing them if you could figure out how to monetize it.

Pixelator likes this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

Can't wait till Musk steps in and wipes out the BS realtor scam.

6. Tristan

In case you think I'm exaggerating:

"Large paved rear drive for extr parking. great outdoor iving in the fully fincced/gatred back yard with a steel shed for yard equipment, large paver patio area with custom made pergola perfect for a firepit or hot tub. Over 100' of mature privacy hedge. All appliances convey inclusing fridge, smooth top range, newer Bosch d/w, and more."

7. Tristan

Is that on his to-do list after getting satellite internet to everyone and controlling social media?

23103a likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sounds like they're handing off the MLS input to assistants or the like.

9. cu260r6

cu260r6 Well-Known Member

I just sold my home in four days from listing to contract without a realtor, my second time doing so, $27k above asking with a rent back for 7 weeks after contracting date. It's easy to do through flat fee MLS listing services, and I saved $15k on useless seller's agent's fees. It is also just as easy to setup an algorithm to determine the list price based on publicly available comparables. You can hire an attorney for a couple hours if you need help with the contract or have any questions. Realtors charge more and are not qualified to address legal concerns anyway.

BigBird likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

FSBO...lol.
    90% of real estate gets sold by 10% of the realtors.

11. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Especially in this market, realtors are making major bank with almost no work from their part.
    We should negotiate more on their commissions. My gf and I are about to hire a realtor for the sale of our 2 condos and the purchase of a 5 bedroom house (so three commissions for them). They better want to negotiate...

BigBird likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

This right here! Now we talking

cu260r6 likes this.
  13. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Maybe it’s an ingenious ploy. Make it seem like the buyer is helping out a special needs/tbi realtor, and get more sympathy cash??

14. Tristan

I figured... and apparently they need to go to "copy and paste" school. This is probably the largest residential RE in Zanesville (I know...), I expected slightly better even from the lowliest office lackey.

15. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Can't get lower than feeding off the bottom.

16. Tristan

Good job, and what I intended to do initially. I just got lazy, and didn't want to deal with going back and forth. The yardwork at the new place is becoming a full time job...like a damn mini country club up in here!

cu260r6 likes this.
  17. Tristan

Realtor says "hold my beer..."

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

19. Tristan

2 showings yesterday and 2 offers- one at asking and one 7% over. Against the advice of wife and realtor I decided to make them sweat and get best/highest offers in by end of tomorrow. If I've blown it I'll never hear the end of it...

oh... the listing is STILL fucked up

20. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

What I learned in selling 4 houses last year is that the seller is pretty much fucked if the buyer gets remorse. I had two where the buyers got cold feet; one had a $3,000 good faith deposit and the other $5,500. Oh, I could have probably fought them but it would have cost me as much in attorneys fees as I'd have collected, and I couldn't put the houses back on market until the situation was rectified. And there are so many escape clauses written into these contracts that they're basically worthless if you're the seller. Sold the first with a traditional 6% realtor that really didn't do much (and sadly it was the highest value one I owned). The next I put a sign in the yard and got 60 offers within 1 week. 3rd and 4th I used a motorcycling realtor friend that charged me 4% and he really worked his ass off and earned the money. It was 4% well spent. All I can say is that I'm glad that shit is over.

G 97 likes this.