1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Racer Insurance thread. Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by ScreamingSon, Dec 6, 2012.

1. ScreamingSon

ScreamingSon Well-Known Member

I crashed in July. Packed up went home felt okay. The next day I felt 'off'. Confused, extremely tired, so I went to the local Immediate Care. They wanted my bike insurance info to pay for the visit. I argued with the registration women, argued with her superior, and finally they got the concept of road racing. Well.. They couldn't treat me because they thought my neck was broken and I for sure had a concussion. Sent to hospital.
    At the hospital the registation nurse said she knew the situation and I was looked at right away. MRI and an X ray. Definite concussion, Neck was sprained.
    I've yet to receive a bill for my co pays. However, received a bill from the hospital saying the claim was denied by my health care provider(Univera) and it must go through the insurance on the vehicle. Today I called Univera, they said I need documentation from the hospital stating it was not a no fault claim. The hospital is telling me that it is a no fault claim since I was on a motorcycle and I need to pay.

What the hell do I do? How do you guys explain to hospitals/insurance that you weren't being a hooligan on the street? Thank you in advance, Craig

2. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

Rider development lessons

3. ScreamingSon

Typing so fast I forgot to actually clarify... I was actually at the track.

4. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

You were closed-course riding on a private track.

It's the truth and it's how I've presented injuries before.

5. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

Call me.

6. Coopster

Coopster Well-Known Member

20 years ago

when I ate it at T3 Road Atlanta, I was asked by the admissions folks at NEGAMC where the accident happened. I had the presence of mind to reply "Braselton, GA"...

Not so sure that would work anymore!

7. ScreamingSon

Rodger, I need your number to call you.
    I also explained it was on a closed course to the Univera claims rep. She was not the brightest bulb.

8. ScreamingSon

Just got the PM. Thank you. I'll call you now.

9. Vitabrew

Vitabrew Well-Known Member

When I crashed at the track and was brought to the ER, I told them it was an "off road" motorcycle accident and refused to give them my auto/motorcycle insurance, only my health insurance info.

My friend who was involved in the same accident gave them both of his insurances and it took him a few months to sort it out between the insurance companies.

10. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

Several years ago i had to visit a hospital after a track day accident. Was told by health insurance that i had to put it through Bike insurance, they would deny, then medical would pick it up. Several pain killers deep, i didn't question it and went through the motions. Never collected on bike insurance for collision even though it was covered, (wrongly) thinking this would negate any claim.

Fast forward one year, went to get new car insurance and had a big ding on my record from reporting it as a vehicle accident. I tried getting it removed by reporting agencies with no luck... Ended up paying way up for several years until it fell off

Hind sight, should have pushed back on health insurer who ultimately paid anyways.

11. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Ranch has it correct.

Always tell them it was an "off road accident on private property".

And "IF" you heath care provider ask any questions..tell them it was
    "a recreational outing".

Or course everybody should check your policy with a magnifying glass to see
    what may or may not be covered.

Mine specifically says I am not covered if I jump out of an airplane.

And will only pay for life flight once in a lifetime.

12. 418

418 Expert #59

Then they'll want to know how it happend, who's property, if there was anybody else involved, yada, yada, yada. Also known as; let us know if we can sue anybody to avoid paying your medical bills.

I fell down a flight of stairs. Hard.

13. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

mine have always been "off-road" and riding a "bike"

14. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

They may ask for details, but the couple of times I've had to go the ER route I've always said I was riding on private track/closed course and it was not a 'motor vehicle accident' on a public road.

So far, that's always ended the questioning and it's defaulted to health insurance with no other BS. Now granted, I wouldn't go filing a claim for a damaged bike afterwards...

15. ScreamingSon

Thanks guys!
    So in 'research and surveys' the results are skewed, because them road racers are saying they fell on bicycles! :)

16. 418

418 Expert #59

Absolutely not denying that but in my last experience I was sent a "incident questionnaire" few weeks after the accident. Under the threat of "possibility" of my coverage/claim being terminated I had to answer a bunch of questions about the incident, some of those I mentioned above. They sent me multiple letters some more threatning then others.

I dropped them before they had the chance to drop me. Aetna was the insurance company.

17. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

I said BIKE not bicycle.... let the person asking the questions make their own assumption.........

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

you simply need to say that your vehicle insurance does not include PMI so it falls back to them as your insurer. This is the same thing as my street bike as I don't have PMI so it falls back to my regular insurance.

19. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I have fallen off my mountian bike twice now and it worked. Had a friend destroy tib/fib a couple years back and told the doctor soccer was the cause. Doctor says " yea I don't think soccer is as safe as people might think it is."

20. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

True that. It's the show stopper.

There was no one else involved. I did it. Just me.
    Off road , On private property.

Yes , your results may vary.

But I'm sticking to my story.