1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another helmet cam question.

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave164, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Dave164

Dave164 Well-Known Member

Has anybody any experiance with the bullet cams that you slot an sd card into and record completely internal, even the battery. They say a 1gb can go an hour. Resolution is 640x480 at 15fps.

I can not decide to go with the conventional setup with pos a media player or this.

I have searched the BBS and could not find the info.

Thanks Dave.

2. rydfree

rydfree Well-Known Member

I posted awhile back that those would be cool , hopefully sometime in the near future . Right now 15FPS will drop half your frames as the eye detects about 30FPS to appear smooth .

3. Dave164

Well I think that tells me what to do. I presume it would look jittery at race speeds.

Thanks for your reply.

4. Dave164

I was looking at a media player to connect to a 520 line sony bullet cam. The media players mostly say the resolution is 320x240. I realise this is the screen pixels but would the camera be recorded at the 520 lines which when transferred to a PC/TV later would show the full resolution or would play back allways be limited to the resolution of the recording devices screen.

Would I be better buying a new camcorder to go with it?

Please help, way confused.

:confused:

5. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

6. davegsxrold929r

davegsxrold929r Well-Known Member

Re: Sports cam

that si the one he was asking about., It does not work very well for the track., too short of memory and the res is way too low,. it is geared more for a PC screen ., and you only get 30-40 minutes of record time !!

I would get the helmet cam and a DVcamcorder .,

for now till the others get better .,

7. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Re: Re: Sports cam

All the vid clips on the bottom of this page were taken with the samsung sports cam http://menardsracing.net/news06/020306pmvirtest2.htm#

With the extra memory you can record for up to 1 hour. I am planning on doing 2 morning practices then downloading them onto my laptop, I dont figure i will need more than an hour of recording time anyway

:up:

8. Jugglenutz

Jugglenutz Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: Sports cam

Sha!! You'd need one of those specialty cameras that takes a snapshot every few hours like the ones they use to film building bridges and skyscrapers from starting to end sucka :D

9. ducnut748

ducnut748 King of Speed

Re: Re: Re: Re: Sports cam

An this comes from someone that cant drive a hot naill up a snowmans a$$, then uses a sundail to figure his own lap times

:confused:

:D :D :D

10. All of our STAR School videos were recorded using a Mustek PVR-A1 in 2005.

http://www.starmotorcycle.com/photo.htm

(The video quality was reduced for the web). They look pretty good presented through a Dell with S-video output onto a tv monitor.

I called it the "Mistake" initially, until it worked pretty good and I found them for $100 on ebay. 30FPS, 320x240 resolution. We used 1gb SD cards.

Twenty20 is working on a Neuros setup using a CF card. It will have 640 resolution, at 30FPS. Sounds promising.

11. Thumper

Thumper Saved by Grace

How about a camera and one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...-9054428?no=*&s=electronics&v=glance&n=172282

The 40GB inside should get through a few track sessions( or a few endurance races!!) and the built in screen would make viewing easy. There is also a 100 GB version. I'm saving up for one now :D Here is a pic of what I have now. The screen is closed when in use on the track and another velcro strap over the camera holds it very securely. I got it for $40 on e-bay and it holds an SD memory card. I can e-mail you a clip from the last Jennings GP track day if you want to get an idea of what it looks like. Have fun.

[​IMG]

12. Dave164

That player sounds the right item. If you could e-mail an example of what to expect to [email protected] it would be appreciated. Is the one you use now a tape or card? How many Frames Per Second? What is the resolution of what you use now?
    Thanks Dave

13. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

I've been wanting a small helmet cam setup for snowboarding, dirtbiking, mtn biking, etc for a while now but the price of a nice video camera (which I would use for pretty much nothing else) has kept me from pulling the trigger. After looking around at many different solutions I'm thinking about going with this paired with this and this .

The unit records at 30Fps and has 3 different resolution settings

30fps@320x240 resolution (QVGA setting)recommended for handhelds

30fps@368x208 resolution (16:9, WQVGA setting)wide screen format for PSP

30fps@640x480 resolution (VGA setting)Best quality for TV playback

The 4G Microdrive would give me 4hrs of recording at the superfine setting and the whole setup would be small enough to fit in a pocket.

Plus, when I crash (not if :D) I don't have to worry about destroying a $600+ video recorder. :up:

I'll post video once I finally get around to setting this up.

14. Dave164

Took a look and it sounds good. Either way I go I still need the camera part so I ordered the 520 line bullet cam and battery pack tonight. Mine would just be for track time so 60 minutes on a 1gb would be fine and I already have the card with my sony still camera.

Could you transfer to a DVD to play on any player even if it does not play mp4 or should the question be is it still mp4 if transfered to a DVD and finalised or is that a stupid question.

15. Dave164

Just thinking about how you plan on powering the unit. It seems to take an ac/dc adaptor but does not give the miliamp/hour so I am unsure how large your battery pack will be. I do not have a battery on my race bike so I may have to fit one.

16. n2indy

n2indy Well-Known Member

Any luck. Did this equipment work out for you? Did you figure out how you would supply the power to the unit?

17. RumbleStrip

RumbleStrip Well-Known Member

Get in touch with Christain at onbike.tv He has a who set up that works well and was used in the 2004 & 2005 Can-Am 125 race videos. Provides some great shots with good quality.

18. bongoray

bongoray Registered Lunatic

I'll second that! Christian is the man over at Onbike.TV, I've been using their stuff for about 2 years now with great success!

19. WSMC34

WSMC34 Well-Known Member

^^^ ONbike.tv is now www.onboard.tv

And I am now using the BulletDVR setup with 520line camera. Let's just say it produces some damn fine video's! But for the cost, it better!

20. mofo

mofo Active Member

I just bought the same setup, Bullet DVR + 520TVL camera, and I also got the laptimer with it. I haven't had a chance to try it anywhere but in the house, as it's still a while before my first race. But for those wondering... YES! It is quite a nice kit and looks to be up to the task.

WSMC34 do you have any footage from the races? I'm dying to see some, so far i've only been using the DVR to record tv programs and movies. It's pretty neat because there's no built-in copy-protection, so i've been copying DVD's like a madman since xmas!