1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

another fork question - titanium nitriding fork tubes

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mattology, Aug 20, 2018.

1. mattology

mattology Well-Known Member

who has had this done, where did you have it done, how much did it cost you, and how happy are you with the result ?

2. backho

backho Well-Known Member

First, the chrome needs to be removed from the original tubes by a chrome plating shop. The problem, as I see it, is that the diameter will be reduced by 5 or 6 thousandths. TiN will not add any to the diameter. I realize that the lower bushing is a sloppy fit, but reducing the tube diameter may render it too sloppy. In addition, the cost of "deplating" and the TiN may not be cost effective . There are some aftermarket suppliers of TiN tubes, too.

3. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Of all the things to do.....why this?

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

DLC.

Phl218 likes this.
  5. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

Because it looks cool...duh!

6. backho

backho Well-Known Member

Absolutely! The bling factor alone should be worth something! Ohlins thinks it's important enough to do TiN and Suzuki uses Diamond Like Coating (DLC). I doubt if anyone reading this could notice the difference between chrome plating and DLC or TiN, though.

7. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You mean the difference in performance, right, cuz they damn sure don't look anything alike? :D

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  8. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

At least on the part of the fork you can see ...

We have had quite a few tubes done lately in DLC including @fastfreddie 's. You can definitely feel a difference during assembly the same way you can when you use SKF seals over OEM seals.

ruckusracing likes this.
  9. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I know measuring for stiction is done with the forks mounted but I gave 'em a push when I picked 'em up cuz, well, it's what everyone does whether they know what to feel for or not. I didn't feel anything but damping and spring. Any other set of unmounted forks I've played with always had some kind of threshold that had to be overcome (not spring pressure) before they would commence moving, including TiN Ohlins - tho' it's barely perceptible.
    There is seemingly ZERO stiction with the DLC and SKF seals...I thought there was something wrong with 'em! lol

Thanks for takin' care of me. :bow:

ruckusracing and metricdevilmoto like this.