1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Anti-SUV Article

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by I'm with Stupid, Jul 17, 2003.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nope. Not stiring me up, just makes me want to buy an X5.

Guess I'll call my broker.

2. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

As long as it ain't a Saab!

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I like Saabs but I refuse to give any money to GM.

You should be happy Johnny, GM is taking an active roll in designing the new Saabs and more management of the company as a whole. With all of GM's help Saab should be out of buisness inside 5 years. :D

4. That's good news about GM and Saab. Saab is Swedish for "lemon." ;)

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Dude, they're NOT supposed to run ALL the time. They aren't Accords after all. ;)

6. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

And Joan Claybrook says more regulation will be necessary.
    :rolleyes:
    Will someone run this woman over with a Peterbilt or something, please.

7. ysr612

ysr612 Well-Known Member

higher fuel costs would do just fine. We would all be safer as bike riders.

8. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

That's funny, here I thought that the problem was the idiots behind the wheel, but I guess it's the SUV after all.

Last time I checked, a subcompact can kill you just as dead as a Suburban if it runs over you and your bike.

9. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Yup, it's the decrease of the collective intelligence that's causing the demise of society. Technology is actually making us more stupid! :D

10. wera176

wera176 Well-Known Member

I think the numbers get skewed slightly by who is behind the wheel of the SUV. Did you ever notice who the typical (not every, don't waste your flames on this) driver of a SUV is and what they are doing? If they were all driving Hondas, we might have a test that points out how many Hondas are in accidents.

I think part of their point isn't what can kill a biker, but what will kill the other cars. SUVs don't scare me when I'm in my truck (their drivers do, lol) but when I'm in my buddies Miata, I watch them a little closer... ;) It is amusing that I don't recall anyone bitching when everyone was buying pick-ups... Other than roll overs, they are just as "dangerous" and I've seen a few accidents with pick-ups and SUVs and the pick-up "won" (if there is such a thing) everyone. For example, I saw a Jeep SUV (the V-8 beasty) that tangled with a F150. The SUV was on it's roof, they were driving the F150 away... So, my pickup is more dangerous than your SUV! ;)

(Disclaimer:This is really all tongue-in-cheek)

11. mtk

mtk All-Pro Bike Crasher

No doubt about that one. This whole "SUV rollover" thing is a total red herring. The reason SUV's roll over is because of idiot drivers who don't understand rudimentary vehicle dynamics, as in, vehicles with a higher center of gravity are more likely to roll than those with a lower CoG, particularly if you have an idiot at the controls. See the Ford Explorer situation for a clear example of it. Autoweek instrumented one and caused repeated blowouts on it and never had a problem with control. But if you're a moron and swerve radically at highway speeds, the truck WILL roll over. The key to the problem is to not be a moron, i.e. learn how to drive.

But ol' Joan doesn't see it that way. But then again, she's the same twit who wanted seat belts on motorcycles, along with side impact absorbers and a bunch of other stuff. The woman isn't qualified to bring out "to go" orders to folks at McDonald's, let alone have input into public policy decisions on vehicle safety.