1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Another Angle on the AMA/CCE Deal

Discussion in 'General' started by texasF4, Jan 7, 2002.

1. texasF4

texasF4 Tallest Guy at the Track

2. RichDesmond

RichDesmond Well-Known Member

One of the saner takes on the situation that I've seen. What really matters in all this is what the factories do. A lot of people forget that the "premier" series is, for all intents and purposes, whatever series the factories back. This because the factories control the bulk of the top riders. If the factories go with the CCE series then that is what the public will accept as the legitimate championship. Given their long ties with the AMA though I doubt that that will happen. The CCE series will make a lot of noise for a year, then become a sideshow and then disappear. (FUSA is in stage 2 of that procees now, IMO)

3. texasF4

texasF4 Tallest Guy at the Track

The article did say CCE may already have Yamaha and Suzi with them.

4. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

I think the factories need to send the AMA a message and go with CCE. Fans don't care if it's the AMA Supercross, CCE Supercross or the Frito Lay Supercross Championship. They're paying to see Carmichael and McGrath duke it out as well as all the other great riders in the series.

A sanctioning body should do just that, sanction races. The promotor should handle the race weekend details. Just like AAA got out of the racing business and concentrated on road issues, the AMA needs to get out of the racing business and leave it to someone that not only knows how but can do it much better.

CCE has proven they can put on a great show and they have the experience to do it. Going head to head against them is foolish in my opinion.

5. RichDesmond

That would be the really messy scenerio, having the factories split between the two. In spite of what the article said, my hunch is that it won't play out that way.

6. RichDesmond

Agreed, 100%.

That was my opinion when they took over FUSA, I thought that they were going to blow the AMA right out of the water. Obviously I over-estimated them. The only way that they'll win this is if their TV package is so superior to the AMA's that the factories would be crazy not to jump ship.

7. WERA29

WERA29 On a mental field trip...

Money and power. Power and money. Rinse, lather, repeat. [​IMG]

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Have the factories ever gone with anyone else in any form of Pro racing in the US? When we started WERA Pro Series and ran FUSA as a class with TV coverage (which even the AMA Superbike series did not have at the time) did the factories come race with us instead - nope!

The factory teams are pro racing, the factories will support the AMA since they run the AMA. It's not like Monster Trucks because there aren't monster truck racing factory teams...

9. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

I may be way off base here, but is it not a consideration that AMA is the U.S. sanctioning body recognized by F.I.M.? With this in mind, it seems the factories are only going to compete in one place, the AMA series. As well as the riders, the factories also have some sort of pride to win a championship, even though we don't have a constructor race, like WSBK.

------------------
    Jim D.
    Have you guys seen my ice scraper?

10. John Ulrich

John Ulrich Well-Known Member

CCE just did a deal that could see the 2003 CCE Supercross series carry FIM World Championship status.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry for the change of subject but I have to ask. JU, what are you going to do when this name hits 1k posts? [​IMG]

12. MotoMadman

MotoMadman Mr. Moto Riding

Thanks for the info, JU. I wasn't sure if I had seen all the relevant pieces.

------------------
    Jim D.
    Have you guys seen my ice scraper?

13. WERA74

WERA74 Poser and proud of it!

I don't know, fellas...

If CCE and the FIM are bedfellows with this Supercross thingy, and both are successful and happy in 2002, who is to say that they will not drag F-USA into the boat? With their respective promotional experience and clout, I don't see how it could work out any other way, regardless of past experiences. And the factories are in the business of selling bikes. If this means chosing one faction over the other, so be it. They are going to go where it benefits them, loyalties be damned. Honda, for example, would not support a series with them as the only factory supporter represented. I could be wrong, but...

Either way, we win.

[This message has been edited by WERA74 (edited 01-07-2002).]

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The FIM only allows one sanctioning body per country (which is why we've never been able to get FIM sanction for the Endurance Series even though the US is the size of Europe) so CCE can't run FIM sanctioned events unless the FIM pulls their sanction from the AMA which is extremely unlikely. CCE promoting the FIM World Supercross Series is different than the FIM sanctioning CCE's races. What'll be funny is if in 20 or so years (assuming it lasts that long) CCE tries to tell the FIM that they now own the World Supercross Series and the FIM does not...

15. WERA74

So, with WERA's affiliation with AMA, why can't the Endurance thingy get FIM sanction? Is it because the AMA wants to hold all the cards? Judging from past experience...

[This message has been edited by WERA74 (edited 01-07-2002).]

16. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Yep, Thats how I see it. CCE will make some noise & then fade into a firm 2nd level series whose outlook for growth is grim. The AMA, warts & all, will drive on. The main result of all the fighting may be more motorcycle related stuff on TV as both try to top the other. If so , wrap it up. I'll take it!

The piece was a much saner take, was it not? I guess no one there was running for office [​IMG]

17. WERA74

Like I said...

Could this "competizione" be the catalyst for improved TV coverage of roadracing here? Let's get ready to rumble...

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, it's really only because we'd have ot run them as AMA races - the FIM will not recognize another sanctioning body as existing for FIM sanction. It's weird but that's the way it is, if we ran under AMA sanction I think we'd be considered as being FIM sanctioned as well but I'm not sure exactly what the deal is. Too much politics and not enough sense for me.

19. John Ulrich

Maybe nobody there has done as much research, and is relying more on wishfull thinking, as in, put them all in one room and give them pizza and donuts and all will be well.

Sort of like those editors who kept printing the "we're winning" press releases issued by the AMA right up to the point where they handed over the $3 million lawsuit settlement. That's winning?

20. John Ulrich

Hey Mongo--

Let's get some money on this deal.

You say CCE can't have FIM sanction for Supercross World Championship events held in the U.S.

I say they can, and will.

How much you wanna stake on it?