1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Annie git yer gun!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by bigx1384, Sep 13, 2004.

1. BTW, I meant to ask you - can you show me where I was wrong? I'd appreciate it.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

BTDT and you ignored it so no point in wasting my time further.

3. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

If I am reading the conditions correctly, a corporation or corporate officer can bypass the CLEO and other requirements and just pay the $.
    I have a class 3 dealer I see tomorrow, I'll ask him.
    I'm gonna be pissed if I could have bought a full auto with no hassle instead of waiting a day for the "instant background check" and making 2 trips to the store to buy my SLR-95. :mad:

4. OK, if you can't be bothered, that's fine. I didn't think you would, because you haven't proved spit. I'll simply point out a few things, and then I won't bother either.

You first said I was wrong because you can "guarantee" that you'd get a tax stamp. I'll concede this because it's silly. You can guarantee all you want, but until you have a tax stamp, you haven't proved anything. Rather than argue with a big baby, I'll let your ego have its way. Sure, Sean, you can get whatever your little heart wants. I was wrong to ever doubt you. :rolleyes:

You then said I was wrong because you claim that anyone who sets up a business can get a Class III FFL "since the last time [you] checked." This matches up well with your later statement that you aren't up on the gun stuff, which is the only truly accurate thing you've said.

From 1994 to 2000, on orders from the Clinton Administration, BATF worked to drop the number of FFL holders from 245,628 to 69,951 nationwide - a tremendous drop. They did this by increasing the cost and difficulty of getting an FFL, by refusing many applications, by refusing to renew existing applications for many FFL holders, and by "encouraging" the more stubborn FFL holders to forego renewals. They also put into effect addition requirements, such as the one that says the FFL hold must have "legitimate business premises" that are licenseable as a firearms dealership in the State where the FFL applicant lives. The purpose of this purge was to eliminate the bulk of "kitchen table dealers," those very FFL holders that you referred to.

Pretty much everything you said about FFLs is way outdated (like ten years outdated), or bullshit.

Don't want to believe me?

BATF FAQ

The privilege of dealing in Class III firearms requires procedures over and above a regular FFL. If the BATF won't give a kitchen table dealer a standard FFL, what makes you think they'll give him a Class III FFL?

Then you said my statements about the illegality of converting a non-full-auto to full-auto or owning full-auto conversion parts was false.

FOPA '86 enacted additional restrictions on machine guns and machine gun parts.

Title 18, Part I, Chapter 44, Sec. 922 of the United States Code says:

(o)

(1)

Except as provided in paragraph (2), it shall be unlawful for any person to transfer or possess a machinegun.

(2)

This subsection does not apply with respect to -

(A)

a transfer to or by, or possession by or under the authority of, the United States or any department or agency thereof or a State, or a department, agency, or political subdivision thereof; or

(B)

any lawful transfer or lawful possession of a machinegun that was lawfully possessed before the date this subsection takes effect.

The effective date was May 19, 1986 (FOPA '86). I'll translate for the crackers, because I know you have a hard time with anything containing more than one or two simple sentences. What this says is that after 5/19/86 only law enforcement and military can buy new-manufacture machine guns. What this says is that any machine gun manufactured after 5/19/86 cannot be transferred to or possessed by a private citizen, even if that person has a tax stamp! Thus:

Machine guns are banned, as I have previously said. Some private citizens legally own machine guns - but they don't legally own any that have been manufactured in the last 18 years.

FOPA also declared that a "machine gun" isn't the whole gun itself, it's also the "frame, receiver, and any such part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a weapon into a machine gun...."
    http://www.atf.gov/pub/fire-explo_pub/nfireact.pdf

So, again for the Georgia crackers - private citizens cannot legally possess what BATF defines as machine gun parts that were manufactured after 1986, even if that person has a tax stamp! Thus:

Machine gun parts are banned, as I have previously said.

In order to legally convert a firearm to full auto, you have to be a licensed firearm manufacturer. There is a a license to "make" an NFA firearm, but it doesn't apply to machine guns. A manufacturer may not transfer any full-auto firearm manufactured after 5/19/86 to a private citizen, even if he has a tax stamp! The only entities he can transfer to are law enforcement or military. Thus:

It is not legal for private citizens to convert firearms to full-auto. It is not legal for private citizens to buy recently-converted full-auto firearms, unless all of the "machine gun" parts (including frame, receiver, trigger group, bolt, hammer, sear, etc.) in the full-auto firearm were manufactured prior to 5/19/86.

THIS is what the Branch Davidians were accused of, which is why I used them as an example. I still can't understand why you had such a hard time figuring that one out.

So again, Mongo, I'll ask you - show me where I was wrong. C'mon - it was simple for me to show you where you were wrong.

Don't worry - I don't expect you'll be able to answer, so I'm not waiting for a reply.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  5. This is true, subject to some conditions. If you live in an area where machine gun ownership is prohibited, this won't let you get around that.

If you buy an NFA weapon as a corporation, it belongs to the corporation, not to you. If the corporation dissolves for any reason, the gun must be transferred out; you can't keep it. If the corporation goes bankrupt or has judgments or liens against it, the firearm may become the property of creditors. Plus, corporations essentially have no privacy protections, so if the BATF or the cops want to harass the corporation's officer(s), they can do so with ease.

Oh, and even corporations are subject to the 1986 ban, so all you'll be able to buy is old stuff.

I'd say that if you really want to get an NFA weapon, it's better to at least try the purchase as an individual route first.