1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Americas G.O.A.T.

Discussion in 'General' started by This old Rz, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Schwantz is not Revin Kevin, that was Rentzell. Personally I think Freddie Spencer trumps Lawson on achievements. Yep I'm biased he started racing with WERA.

Overall though, Kenny is still the King, has had the absolute most influence on the entire sport here and worldwide as a rider and team owner.

SpeedyE, turner38, CR750 and 4 others like this.
  2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I didn't think that he was mean. But I can imagine that meeting him as an excited fan feels a bit like a cold shower.

It counts towards being one of the greats. But that's not the subject here.

G 97 likes this.
  3. G 97

G 97 Garth

I can verify. All business.

4. racesbikes

racesbikes WTB a Size 50/60 Race Suit

I thought this was a thread about Ricky Carmichael.....:D

969, CBRRRRR999, G 97 and 1 other person like this.
  5. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

The ex was a semi moto journalist and was tasked with interviewing Lawson when he was at a show up here.When they came out of the room after, she apparently saw me wandering around and mentioned to Eddie that I used to race AMA stoopidbike.Next thing I know Eddie sidled up to me and says,"I understand we used to race together"...all I could blurt out was well,we shared a racetrack a few times.

6. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

Where is the love for Scott Russell? 500 gp, world superbike, ama all time 750cc wins, 5 daytona's, Suzuka Ski

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do like Scott but he never achieved enough worldwide for GOAT status.

StaccatoFan and stk0308 like this.
  8. Quicktoy

Quicktoy Is it Winter yet?

43 but got into racing right when Ben was moving from the 600 to the super stock 1000 class before whooping on Mladdin for years.

9. Quicktoy

Too many times picking fights at Razzles.
    What cracks me up about Scott is he sits at the track preaching God with Mike Smith and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen him partying at lollipops.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

We are not even at the worldwide level in this thread. Just sorting out the Americans. Zero chance. Have you seen that list?!

11. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Yeah, the WSB championship, and D200 wins are awesome. But 1 & 2/3 seasons in 500GP(2 podiums) didn't really make much of an impression. And then thrashing around in the mid pack with the out of date Yamaha in WSB for a couple years, getting paid, no doubt, but that tarnished a bit.

12. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

I've seen him a couple times.. and knew a man who knew him quite well Can say without a doubt, reserved polite and well mannered.

I've met KR..Ya wanna talk bout attitude .don't wanna say he's an ass...but get the feeling he could really pile on the cockiness if he ever so desired ..lol

A good example of two different kinds of personalities of competitors, One brash. Cocky..the other quiet & calculatinone says.."I got this"..the other says "I can do this"

Seems I'm in good company here regarding my opinion of Mr. Lawson..
    Seriously all these years more often than not when I express my opinion...Few have ever agreed with me...? Go figure.

Older guys..60s & up generally go w Kenny.
    So many love Schwantz..due to the black tire marks and spectacular aerial exhibitions...

My fav incarnation of Paint schemes ..kinda gets the nod.. Schwantz piloted Lucky Strike ,Pepsi RGs and the ol Daytona GSXR750...

Good looking machines

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I had to come to page two to see Spencer's name?
    Yeah, both their stats are pretty good, to include influence on the sport or, at least, my perspective. :cool:

14. Quicktoy

I think the whole Honda repoing his bikes a few years ago tainted any kind of GOAT status but he was pretty amazing.

15. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

The Rainey, Roberts, Schwantz, Lawson and Spencer era was definitely the Golden Era of American motorcycle road racers. Honestly, I
    cannot pick one to be the GOAT. It's just to difficult for me to decide. Would love to meet them all.
    So far, only met Schwantz and Rainey, and I've got goosebumps every time.

16. BHP41

BHP41 Calling out B.A.N. everyday

Roberts,Rainey, Nicky and Schwantz.

the rest are just Americans in GP. Yes, that includes Freddy. He did great but was only great for a few years. Many better riders than he is/was

It’s not how well you’re doing, it’s how long you’re doing well.

17. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

I met him at the Barber Vintage Festival in 2010. Normally I'm not the type to walk up to someone and ask to take a picture with them, but I had people ask me to take a picture of them with someone famous all weekend and I would agree to do so as long as they returned the favor for me. Eddie was very soft spoken and very appreciative of the things I said about him. I told him I waited over thirty years for that moment. (I missed the opportunity at the 1981 Laconia Classic.) I told him I was working with Steve Baron at Loudon and he remembered him (Steve raced against him in AMA 250 GP, finishing third in the points behind Eddie and Jimmy Filice in 1981.) all in all, a very pleasant encounter.

[​IMG]

G 97, SpeedyE, HPPT and 5 others like this.
  18. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

He's showing his appreciation for God's creations in their full, unclothed glory!

I was in the Ocean Deck after the Daytona 200 he missed because of his adventure in Razzles. I got to watch Steve Scheibe damn near drink himself into a coma that night. To say he wasn't happy would be a gross understatement.

Quicktoy likes this.
  19. This old Rz

This old Rz Well-Known Member

20. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

I’d have to go with Kenny Roberts also, he kicked everyone’s ass when things were a lot less welcoming for Americans. Is it really considered cockiness when he backed it all up?