1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMB 260 bought on the beeb, I think I might have been duped. Help?

Discussion in 'General' started by JBarx, Jan 11, 2017.

1. JBarx

JBarx Status: None.

I bought the transponder in this thread: http://forums2.13x.com/index.php?threads/amb-transponder.340145/

Being that gamecocktf registered only to sell a transponder - that immediately drew a red flag. I asked to verify the battery was good and I was told 4-5 days later after a full charge/discharge cycle the battery was giving 4 blinks on a charge and lasted about 4 days.

OK cool, I'll take it.

It shows up and so I put it on wall power. Except it's been on the juice for over 2 days now and is still blinking red. It will occasionally start blinking green (single blinks) for a little while then stop altogether... then blink red (single blinks) again.

Now I don't know anything about these legacy units but if what I have been reading is accurate, I should deduce that I paid for a transponder with a battery that shit the bed, in which case I am going to be incredibly unhappy. BUT - before I take on an accusatory tone I want to make sure I am not retarded and missing something obvious since I've never owned one of these things.

I'd like to get feedback from the seller but he hasn't been on here since Dec. 27th and vanished into thin air as soon as he mailed the thing out. I have two unanswered PM's and so I don't think following up is a big priority for him. If any of you could set me straight I'd appreciate it.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

When it's got a full charge it'll go solid green - while in the charging bay. Then when you take it off charge the green blinks are the number of days.

If it's flashing green on the charger then you're losing power to the charging bay somehow - loose connection or the like. Which could be why it's taking so long to get to a full charge. 24 hours from dead to full charge is pretty normal.

That one is new enough looking I doubt the battery is shot.

Pull it from the charger - how many green blinks does it show? There will be a pause between sets of blinks. If off charge and it's blinking red it has 24 hours charge, if solid red 12 or less.

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Sometimes, after a period left unused, you have to charge/discharge them a few times for the battery to get back to optimal condition.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also true. The ones I had new batteries put in are all kinds of whacked out right now on the blink codes.

5. JBarx

I pulled it this morning before I left for work because I was curious about that myself. It had one single green blink off the charger. I put it back on the juice and then it started doing the weird stuff like blinking red for a little bit and then doing nothing.

I wondered about the base too, I started checking the cord and the connection wondering if it was phasing in and out intermittently... but I had to get going and get into work. I'll see if I have a matching AC connector somewhere around the house I can swap with it.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It may just be that it was dead for a while. Yank it from the charger and let it die totally then start over, may take a few cycles.

7. JBarx

Sounds like a good idea. Leaving it on wall power for much longer can't be great for it anyway.

8. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

My cord failed and the unit would blink but not charge correctly. I replaced it with some random cord I had laying around. Transponder still works great, going on 11 years now.

9. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

gamecocktf registered here back in 2007 but that for sale item was his first post, over 9 years later!

Murcielago311 likes this.
  10. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Something I already learned as well for whatever reason the wal charged isn't as good as the multi charger cases. I don't know why but I had one that is 7 years old and was dead dead dead. Wouldn't even blink on charge.

Threw it in my case for giggles and it's been working perfect ever since.
    Maybe mongo can shed light to that.

I would be happy to throw it in my case if you wanna try.

This also happened with another racers that the case also brought back to life so it's not just a one off scenario.

JBarx likes this.
  11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

We need a pitch a fork emoji

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No clue on why the cases work better as I've never used the small chargers but we'll toss it into our cases too if you want.

Cam Morehead likes this.
  13. JBarx

Right on guys, thanks for some ideas. I have to think the seller was using the same stuff he sent to me, right? And how likely is it that this behavior just started? What bugs me is that the odds are really high I was given a bullshit story to get the deal done and move on.

I've never seen the multi cases...

So how about this?

Step 1: Pull the unit and let it cycle down.
    Step 2: try to find a different AC cable, attempt to charge again. If that doesn't yield any new information....
    Step 3: See if someone else can successfully charge it... and then either buy a new cradle or send it to Australia. (!!!)

14. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

The crappy little wall wart power supply is likely not able to supply the voltage and amperage required to charge the battery. Find one with the same voltage and amperage ratings. More amperage won't hurt anything if they are not exactly the same. The wart may show the correct voltage when checked with a meter but can't produce that voltage under load any longer. It will sag a fail to charge the transponder battery.

15. JBarx

Yeah I'll see what kind of smorgasbord of AC power cables I have floating around and see matches voltage. Worst case I can probably go buy one with some extra amperage oomph if I don't have something that fits the bill. I gotta think I have something laying around though. I've got some cordless trimmers and stomp boxes I can sift through.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're rechargable items - relax. There is no reason at all to be bugged.

When you get home, pull the TX from the charging pay altogether, do not just unplug the bay from the wall. Let it discharge until there is no light of any sort. Plug it all back up and let it alone until it goes green (if this doesn't happen after 48-72 hours repeat step one). if after a couple few tries of this it's not back to normal send it to me or Rob and we'll give it a shot on our chargers.

You wouldn't see a multi case except one of ours at the track - or you order 32 transponders at once along with the 5 grand for the case to put them in :D

Robby-Bobby and cha0s#242 like this.
  17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Stock charger is 12v 60mA - you can try the car charger too, pretty sure it's just straight 12v from your lighter plug.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Everybody needs a backup for their backup of their backup transponder. :D

Killswitch likes this.
  19. JBarx

We CLEARLY haven't met... LOL.

No it's fine, I'm probably coming off freaked out when I am not. Just a little confused and mildly agitated. In fairness, I'm coming off a tough year and just had my wallet stolen last week and the universe isn't letting up - so I'm a little frazzled. And these transponder things aren't exactly cheap and/or disposable. I'll try out your process and see how it goes, take it from there. I appreciate the info!

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We'll get it working for you - and if the battery truly is shot I know where to get them replaced cheap.

Cam Morehead likes this.