1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA Superbike rule changes

Discussion in 'General' started by backdraftmoto, Jul 9, 2002.

1. JurgenW

JurgenW Well-Known Member

what happened to the original topic

I would be real interested what the racers at WERA think about the new rules or what configuration could be a better alternative.

Personally, I favor a 1000cc Superstock class (that could but doesn't have to replace the existing 750cc SS class), which would give the privateer a better and faster bike to compete in the Superbike class as well as feature more manufacturers with similar bikes.

I agree that the inlines only need 2-3mm over in order to compete with the twins, why not

a.) go all the way with 1000cc superbike rules and differenciate weight min. for twins and inlines

b.) leave it as is but give the inlines up to 850cc.

any input?

thanks

Jurgen

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Re: what happened to the original topic

Personally? I'd love to see the return of the "two wheels and no other rules" of the old Formula USA. A Ducati 998F02 versus a Suzuki GSXR 1280 burning Methanol versus an R1/ R7 Yamaha versus a Honda NSR500v.
    It'd never work today. :(

What would work for the AMA today? I don't pretend to know. I say stick the Supers out there with the Extremes and let them fight it out. The best rules, IMHO, are no rules.

3. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

I have a real beef about this item.

I was surprised to read that RRW.com originally did not report on this because they were giving the AMA a chance to make it right. With all due respect, it seems kind of odd to me that a news organisation would intentionally not report a story. What could the EDITOR (not the AMA Official) have to gain by not reporting this story?

It leads right in to the question, what else isn't being reported?

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Re: what happened to the original topic

This is what I like. The 835cc Raptor motors used with a factory Superbike budget(aka chassis) could compete with the 1000cc twins.

I like the 850cc idea but if they can't do something like that then allow the same type of mods that the FIM is going to... 1000cc superbikes with restrictors.

5. Rich Around

Rich Around Well-Known Member

the british superbike series is running 1000 supersport spec. bikes mixed with superbikes and the suzukis and yamahas are not competetive at all. simon crafar on the r1 and john reynolds on the gsxr 1000 are really struggling. thinking that yamaha, kawasaki and suzuki are probably going to be cutting down in ama for next year. who says, rich around says 'cause he's an expert and know-it-all 'cause he's an american! darn it.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2002