1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA/MOTOAMERICA Entry Level Class, KTM Cup

Discussion in 'General' started by SCHMITTY91, Nov 13, 2014.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Then call Yamaha and get an R6. You're too old to be hanging out with a bunch of 14, 15 and 16 year old kids, that's just creepy.

2. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

Once again, another great post from someone with real world and recent experience.

I'm looking forward to the series.

3. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Creeper class.

4. :stupid:

We need more people on the MW/HW grids.

5. Chip

Chip Registered

1.) Unless your a 16 year-old kid, you will never race in the spec series. If your pudgy Dave K, you might really like this bike, but maybe you might want to build it. If this bike is as popular as I think it will be, then there will be a ton of people who want to race it outside the spec series...in SS and SBK trim.

2.) If I had a kid that was racing in the spec series then I would get two bikes. A spec bike just for the spec series and a production (SS) bike to use at WERA events for training.

I don't think the participants in the spec series are going to be able to ride their spec bikes outside of the series.

This phrase is pretty key:

Great post....

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Chip, yeap, this bike is interesting to people like me. Handles okay, has just okay hp and is cheap to buy and run. Would I want to build my own (well, have friends build it in reality) or just buy the ready to go version? No interest in gridding up with the kids and trying to get on TV or "live the dream" anymore. Glad I don't have a garage or a way of hauling it so I don't have to decide.

and right now I'm not pudgy, I'm full of f@ckin' FAT. :D

7. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I plan to support anything that focuses on kids and equal machinery. The cream will rise to the top.

8. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

Sure, they'll be more than happy to sell you a membership right now!

9. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

People like you are the reason why Hayes can't get a world ride despite dominating here. :)

You age-ist bastards. Talent can exist at any age. Why we gotta have a youngster represent the US?

I just watched Road and if Dunlop came back and smoke the field, why can't an older gent show MM how it's done?

10. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

Oh I'm sure they'd take money from a 2 year old for a membership. Doesn't mean they'd represent my interests.

I don't care about the right to have Tapioca puddin' while I'm in a nursing home.

:D

11. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

both great posts and i couldn't agree more.. some of you other guys don't seem to get it, which i find a bit surprising..

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I'd throw money behind a Hayes to get him a seat on the world stage. I don't think my couple of bucks would do much but being as I'm a cheap ass mother trucker and won't tip the barista at starsmucks to reward their bad career choice, that says something.

Sorry man but if you aren't already catching the eye of someone like a JU at age 23, 25 or 27, you aren't ever getting there. All the spec classes in the world aren't getting you a top ride in a few years.

13. I agree completely.

One of the stupidest comments/arguements on here is the "young and hungry" type of comments. Or when somebody reaches their late 20's they are "too old".

Nobody signs 15-year contracts. What matters is how somebody can ride the bike NOW, their ability to put the machine on the box NOW, how they represent themselves, how marketable they are, how well they can develop a machine, their work ethic, etc. And when you consider that "total package", Josh Hayes is at the pointy end of all racers, worldwide, of any age. The fact that somebody hasn't put him on a quality bike in WSBK or even MotoGP is ridiculous IMO.

He has a great thing going with Graves and im sure he is making a good salary. But I firmly believe, on the right machine, that he could contend for WSBK podiums immediately.

14. I get this. I love our 4t and 2t GP bikes. The 2t has really taught us a lot. Rewarding for good smooth riding and punishing for mistakes.. one wrong or missed gear and the next corner is blown.. etc. The corner entry speeds learned is invaluable in my opinion.. they have never been a mechanical challenge for me. Its what I do. KTM claims the RC390 engine is designed to run at sustained high RPM. The CRF250 Honda motor is not. The RS125 is well.. a two stroke. If your race motor broke you either procrastinated or don't have the skills to take care it. Period. If Moto-A had announced a fleet of Moriwaki`s to be had it would have been great. They didn't. There would probably be complaining from those who never raced one. Can`t please everyone, ever.

Lets look at this.. A current Moto 2 bike is 135kg... The RC390 weight is in there too. The current transition in Europe from Moto 3 to Moto 2 is comparable to what currently in the USA? A GP bike or Ninja to a 600? I think that has been the problem. Combined rider and weight for Moto 3 is around 150kg. Is transitioning from Euro Moto 3 to Moto 2 comparable to opportunities in the US? No, but not far off at least at the club level. The difference is grid entries and the RC390 may bridge the power to weight gap and help develop better riders.. time will tell. Even a Honda XR/CRF100 under powered and heavy with 25 plus into the first corner will teach you plenty. Slow bike-fast kid/ Fast bike-fast kid.. So simply race up a class? Sure but not doable in the pro ranks.

BSB will be running the RC390 spec class next year also. Interesting. Red Bull Rookies still uses a 2t for tryouts. Maybe my thinking is slowly beginning to shift, stubbornly and reluctantly beginning to effin shift. Lots of questions yet to be answered about the RC390 class.. DOT`s or slicks? Licensing requirements is my biggest concern. I am hoping for at least a two year expert status with a reputable club series.

I can get my hands on the RC390 Cup no problem. The boy is going into a growth spurt right now.. well GP sized.. 5ft 2 now and about 90 lbs. He will be 14 in February. I know he can ride the RC390. He recently tested as a measurement only on a much larger machine. Scared the crap out of me but not him.

He came to me last night after the news and passionately expressed his desire to race the RC390 on a healthy sized grid. He was so emotional about it I was surprised. He is never like that. I tried to help him temper his feelings and be sure that the "glory" of Pro-Racing and TV is not part of his thinking process. Funny trying to temper the emotions of an adolescent with a fresh adrenaline/hormone drip. The out pouring of passion was cool to witness. Same for me as well except for old guy stubborn tunnel vision. This has been a long road, the announcement is out and we are all on high so to speak.

I need time to think about this hard. The age and experience level is right. The window is getting smaller. Am I thinking right? Europe sooner or later or wait? I don't know if my logic is shifting or if I am simply trying to talk myself into this. Everyone I talk to believes their chosen path is/was the "correct" path. Time to load up and go grid up...I think better on the road.. later.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2014
  15. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I can't wait for a schedule to come out. I definitely want to watch this series live at least once.:clap:

16. This is a great step in the right direction, it most likely will not be perfect out if the gate but let's get together and support this.

17. I loved this part. This is so, so cool. IMO, that is what is needed for this sport to grow in America. Passion.

When most kids are worried about girls, or making the school team, or if they will be wearing the new Jordans or not, he is full of passion about racing motorcycles. I love it.

You know I love the sport and racing more than anything. And that paragraph was one of the best paragraphs I have read on here in a long time.

Best of luck to both of you. :beer:

18. bugeye

bugeye Well-Known Member

Are they going to run the motoamerica schedule that is out now with the exception of Indy and Cota ?

19. Razorboy's son Javelin penned a good backpage editorial in the newest SportRider where he talks about his experience being a young racer in a class amended to include more experienced racers (AMA Supersport).

20. p144

p144 Active Member

No link?