1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ama Announces Proposed Road Racing Rules Package

Discussion in 'General' started by G 97, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Trent

Trent I just wanna ride motorcycles and eat pizza

Just do the factorys' bidding, take your cut, and get yourself a new suit.

2. chase2000gt

chase2000gt Well-Known Member

So what exactly are the claiming rules? What does it mean?

3. zook1k6

zook1k6 Banned

What is there NOT to agree with?

4. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

In reading this, is aftermarket forks (ex. Ohlins) not going to be allowed unless they came on the homologated bike?

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

No any front suspension is allowed as long as it is the same style as homoligated, Inverted, Standard, or T-lever...you cant swap an inverted for a standard...

6. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

What exactly does that mean?

7. kiggy74

kiggy74 As useful as an...

I didn't realize that there's a MINIMUM weight requirement. 370 lbs dry and and 375 wet for 4-cylinders. Seems like teams go to great lengths to reduce weight, but they still have to be at least 370 lbs. Seems counter intuitive.

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

kiggy, it's to prevent two things:
    1. Factory bikes built of pure unobtanium
    2. Strength and safety sacrificed at the alter of lightness

9. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

here has always been a minimum weight req.

one of the benefits of building an underweight bike is being able to add ballast where you want it to get back up to minimum weight.

10. Vinnie@proline

Vinnie@proline Well-Known Member

I like the new rules. NO WELDING into ports, no modified pistons, stock rods, coatings only on bearing surfaces..... ALL SOUNDS GOOD TO ME. Did the claiming price go up.(not that I have the funds) Has anyone claimed anything recently? Everything is cool EXCEPT 2.21 B. UGH... Suzuki better go back to 1 pipe...

11. musclehead

musclehead Well-Known Member

I would like to hear Chips take on the rules change.

12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Just add a fat a$$!

13. derby369

derby369 Well-Known Member

...and john's.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, I'm biased but I like em. I've said before my take on what will ultimately be the best route for AMA (no factory ownership of teams) but since that isn't going to happen I really think these rules are going to be good for the teams and the competition level.

15. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

from reading the rules it sounds like a lot more special edition bikes will be built . ie: yamaha's marchesini'ed ohlins's up r1.

Id like to see a lot more homologated bikes with juiced up parts as stock .

from what ive read your relegated to how many bikes you have to build by how many retail locations you have ,sooooooo i guess buell will have to cut their stores down to 2 so they only have to build enough bikes to make it through the first 4 races.(if they are running next year that is) llol

16. Chip

Chip Registered

I am not going to go into specifics, but for the most part I am very disappointed in the lack of real change.

17. I'm with Chip.

18. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What's the scoop on superseded parts? Is that new or old? Are the factories building parts and the superseding them to keep the parts to themselves?

David

19. musclehead

musclehead Well-Known Member

I know transmission parts have to be made available to everyone. But what about electronics, swingarms and such. Seems like it would be more fair if everyone could also have the same access to the tires the factories have.

20. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

At first blush it reads like an attempt to actually follow the "buy a bike, then buy a factory race kit" kind of rules talked about for WSB and AMA years ago.