1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMA 2010 Classes and Purse

Discussion in 'General' started by leviathan, Nov 29, 2009.

1. TTR174

TTR174 Rescue and restoration of 60's and 70's bikes

I was saying by staying with the team, the number wasn't going to run by their old team, you're right Hacking is a good example of a rider moving to a different team after winning a championship. However I haven't seen a team switch manufacturers, keep the same rider and sponsorship for the following year and also win a championship the previous year.

I don't think Buell has any say at this point. They could use it for advertising but what good would that do?

I think DMG screwed up the process with the whole team number bs. This definitely diluted the field by having riders who have established #'s (such as Bostrom, Hacking and so on) lose the association with that number. There use to be a lot more personality in the field which you could easily identify by their number.

2. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

When did a manufacturer go out of business altogether in order to set the precedent you're looking for?

3. TTR174

TTR174 Rescue and restoration of 60's and 70's bikes

I guess technically Buell is still in business or the racing business. However RMR could run Buells next year without any or limited support, but they got a better deal with Suzuki.

Now has this happened in the past with any other manufacturer? I'm not sure.

4. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

Yeah, because your example of dealing with officials is so much better than everyone else. You remember NJMP? End of the day Sunday? On pit road? You screaming like a little league dad at the officials and then storming off in a huff yelling and screaming at the top of your lungs. And what did you do when you were done throwing your hissy fit? Yeah, you called RE to complain some more and ask that he fire the officials that you weren't happy with.

That's a great example to follow...

For me, the kicker is this, RE did fire the head of T&S. So you got what you wanted. But what's going to happen with T&S next year? Nobody really knows but I can almost guarantee you that it's not on the top of RE's list, which means that they'll probably scramble to put something in place for next year and Pro Racing will end up with a guy and a laptop sitting in scoring. That's it. No more pit wall video or house feeds to the paddock, no live internet times, no result feeds to TV, no more wireless paddock results access, etc, etc...

So good job John. I hope you're proud of yourself and what you've done for Pro Racing this year. Enjoy the hole you helped dig for 2010 and beyond.

5. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

6. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

The reason JU is pissed is because he had a calm meeting with RE @ Road America on the jump start shit, RE said he adressed it and it was fixed.@ NJMP it happened again and JU went bat shit.
    Now as far as JU not doing anything for the sport or bringing it into a hole?,man.I tell you guys all the time I dont agree with everything the guy does but he is constantly trying to improve the deal and make it safer. I also dont think it's a personal deal with JU,he was an advocate of all these issues and safety issues within racing since before Chris was born.He has been in racing since 1973,needless to say he has some staying power.
    The little league Dad deal is going to be like a shot heard round the world when he reads it,brace yourself.It's gonna be good.
    Side note Chip: Hey man sorry I offended you and especially in a public venue,if I wanted to speak my mind I should have called and talked with you like I have in the past.
    Chuck Giacchetto

7. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

[​IMG]

8. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

It seems somewhat ironic that after the year we had

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=38257

that somebody is complaining about me yelling at some AMA officials. After all the crap we took all year, who wouldn't have been tempted to yell at them?

Hell yeah, I yelled at them, after my question, "Explain to me how this contributes to fair competition" was answered with,

Answer #1. We're just trying to take the judgement call away.

Answer #2. It's the same rule MotoGP has.

Answer #3. We're just following orders.

So, I asked, who told you to do that?

Answer: Roger.

So I called Roger and said, Why did you tell Bill Syfan to do this? (Didn't mention Wardell or T&S geeks at all.) He said, I didn't. And the rest is history, complete with RE defending his geek squad and saying nobody was gonna get fired. If I had the ability to get people fired, trust me, there would have been plenty of carnage to go around at Mid-Ohio!

What's really funny is that at Daytona in October there were 15 guys in AMA SuperSport qualifying, and it took a squadron of AMA Pro T&S guys led by St. Wardell The Infallible (no T&S issue was ever his or his crew's fault) running a fleet of computers 90 minutes to produce qualifying results. In the meantime, one guy with a laptop issued results for five ASRA sessions, within 10 minutes of each session!

Which means that up to 89 minutes after the Supersport session with 15 guys in it, the crack T&S crew with all its advanced systems had not only been smoked off by a guy with a laptop, but had also produced about what you'd expect from a monkey running an iPhone: Nothing.

Hell, based on some of the stuff we saw in 2009, I figure a monkey with an iPhone might be an improvement!

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Ohhh....a iPhone timing app which connects (via wifi) to the local timing computer so you can get updates where ever you are in the paddock would be nice. something the fans (and crew if they want) could download....humm....now where's my Mac. :)

10. Chip

Chip Registered

:up:

As for the Entrant vs. Number thing - I am the Entrant for KWS. I own the numbers 57 and 97. When Ben left and we hired Aaron mid season....I didn't change the numbers on the 97 bike.

I have no idea what they are going to do next year. There is verbage about the number belonging to the entrant and there is verbage about certain numbers being reserved for the riders. Who knows...

The whole thing is stupid......I don't want the number....I have a number, 212 from racing WERA. The number should belong to the rider.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

12. Fent

Fent I'm Registered??

John,

How soon they all forget.....

Loudon 2001 Comes to mind..... Among others. History repeats itself right?\

"the safety of racers versus the post-retirement employment of retired car racing executives."
    "there is budget for hiring a former car racing guy to explain the obvious in regards to making rules"

The above quotes are taken out of context, but they are relevant none the less.

Todd

Last edited: Dec 7, 2009
  13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

And how are you privy to this? Do you know what's being planned for T&S for 2010? Maybe the powers that be are actually working on it right now. If you don't know, maybe you shouldn't speculate.

John is trying to make it better, not sabotage it. Believe me. It's in his interest as a team owner and magazine publisher.

14. Day One

Day One Well-Known Member

Brilliant reply there John. A monkey with an iPhone...
    Based on your reply it seems you'd rather forego all the services that were offered by T&S in the past, and accurate, checked and verified results all so you can get your results quickly. Might as well go club racing, oh wait, you basically will be now...Again, thanks for helping with that.

15. mike w

mike w Knarf's buddy

thats just wrong on so many levels

16. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I got here late.
    So, Day One, are you blaming JU for all the ills currently facing AMA/DMG or just for pointing them out?
    I'm a little bit confused because in the decade and a half I've known John I don't think I have come in contact with a person who has more at stake on more levels on the success of professional road racing in this country.
    Nor have I met (or heard of) anyone who has done more for the sport of road racing or road racers in the US whether professional or otherwise.
    So why would he now be working against those interests?

17. Chip

Chip Registered

- 2008 T&S- Great!

- 2009 T&S - Not So Great (T&S dudes claim not enough resources and bad management)

- JU points out the problems with T&S.

- AMA/DMG responds to valid complaints by firing head T&S dude.

Q: Who's fault is it that the head T&S dude got fired?
    A: Maybe the head T&S dude? Maybe DMG management?

Q:Who's fault is it if firing the head T&S dude doesn't make it better.
    A: DMG Management.

All of the above is reasonable, factual, and at the end of the day all falls on DMG management.....not JU.

18. svtinker

svtinker Well-Known Member

This is classic stuff here. You just proved JU's contentions are justified.:D:D:D

19. Garyb425

Garyb425 Well-Known Member

Please clarify whether:

you thought T&S worked just fine last year

or

you have a problem with JU and this is an easy attack

or

you are a friend of Syfan

or

you just don't like screaming

Is there anyone on this BBS who hasn't been reduced to screaming at some point when they become frustrated beyond reason? I sure as hell have. Let's face it, the budget for 'AMA Pro' is probaby down a little this year and head or two was bound to roll.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  20. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

No, I think he'd rather have both fast and accurate. Not an impossible demand.