1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alpinestar suit size question, I'm 6ft & 145lbs

Discussion in 'Tech' started by zeroice, Sep 2, 2004.

1. zeroice

zeroice crotchrocketroadracer

Hey guys, I'm getting a new suit! I am really fixed on getting an off the rack Alpinestar suit.

I'm 6 feet and about 140-145 lbs

I tried on a size 48 alpinestar TZ-1 and it was way to short. It was short at the ankle, wrist, and crotch. It was also kind of tight, but the tightness was right. I figured it would losen up just right. But really, it is just too short , can't even stand up right. So I returned the suit.

I guess I will get a size or two larger (50 or 52), but not sure. Does anyone have an opinion (you guys that wear alpinestar suits, help me)? would a 52 stretch out too much? will a 50 be too short?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

2. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

You answered your own question- the 48 fits your "girth" but not your "length". By the time you get to the size that won't castrate you (probably a 54), you'll be swimming in it. Bottom line- Astars suits probably aren't for you (without alteration from Barnacle Bill). How much are you trying to spend? A full custom BB suit should be under $1000 and will fit and last better than most anything off the rack.

3. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

I'll agree with that. You're probably best to get a custom suit because I doubt that any off the rack ones are going to fit properly. If it's long enough it's going to be way to loose which causes you to tumble more in a crash (more broken bones) not to mention the skin you'll lose from the inside of the loose suit rubbing against you. A bad fitting suit is not something a racer wants to wear.

4. Smithjeb

Smithjeb Well-Known Member

Give Barnacle Bill a call. I am sure he can hook you up with a suit for very close to the same price as an off the rack Alpinestar. I have crash tested his stuff extensively - it's about as tough as you can get.

Plus, if you do get off - he will fix it. You can customize your graphics, have your name sewn on etc etc

www.racingleather.com or (859) 336-7375

calling him is probably best...plus, I just talked to him a couple of nights ago and he is not that busy so turnaround would be pretty quick

5. RB

RB Well-Known Member

Dude, have I got a deal for you. I am 6'1" and WAS 155 and bought a custom set of Syeds. Should be great for you. In NEW condition. I have to warn you that they are yellow and blue. Back protector, full armor, perforated.

rm250rr at bellsouth.net

RB

6. zeroice

Ok, I agree with you guys, I made a mistake: I was plain old impatient. A custom suit is the way to go. I don't mind spending the few extra bucks.
    But that would be too easy for me:(
    I am faced with a dillema... My fellow team-mate (wears alpinestars) convinced me to get an alpinestar suit.
    Thus I have unfortunately unwittingly commited to a sale for an undersized alpinestar suit via parts unlimited, unless of course I pay the 25% restocking penalty. I can still exchange the suit for a different size of equal or more value... Suit already cost me $520, thats dealer cost. If I return it, I will get penalized $125 + S&H.
    I guess I don't know what to do now. Would love to get a custom suit though... any suggestions?
    Not to mention I also need a new arai helmet... funds are running low. I guess I'm not trying to spend more than $1000-1100 all together including helmet....

Would appreciate any opinions!

thanks

PS, I will be at Nelson Ledges tomorrow for Fastraxx 3hr, and Sep 11 for WERA 6hr...

Last edited: Sep 3, 2004
  7. Tristan

Well, hey- the important thing is that you and your buddy will match...:D

I'm sure BB can alter the suit, although making it bigger will surely be harder/more expensive than making it smaller would have. Since you got a pretty good deal on it, why not try and sell it to somebody it WILL fit? Who charges 25% restocking? I won't be buying from them!

8. Tristan

Oh, and I'm sure this will start some debate- you don't "need" an Arai. HJC and KBC both make great helmets in the $100-$150 range (street price). I'm using an HJC AC10 that cost $85 new. The KBC VR-1 or Racer1 are even nicer.

9. Present

Present Well-Known Member

hey,

how 'bout exchange your suit for a larger one... will they charge the restocking fee if you just exchange? if you have a larger one, you give anyone doing alterations a HUGE advantage which may save you considerably... then you match and save $$$$$ ! :D

:edited:
    ps i have an HJC AC11 and LOVE it. lots of vents, removable liner (for washing), etc... very impressed with what HJC has done in the last couple years. they are using composites and light-weight stuff at a considerable savings over "name-brand" stuff.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2004
  10. daltrey

daltrey Active Member

just call them and explain the problem and ask them if you can exchange it for a different brand. im sure they will work with you. im 6'2 and 170 and the AGV size 46 fits me perfect.

11. zeroice

Ok, got the suit exchanged (no return fee charged) for a size 52 and it fit very well. when standing up, feels like it almost is tight on the crotch, but not really. It is very comfortable on the bike.

Also got a KBC racer-1 helmet, that was really a nice helmet.