1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All knowing Beeb - tire selection (SUV)

Discussion in 'General' started by ChuckS, Sep 29, 2015.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

(I know, not a racing or even a bike question.)

Time for tires on the daily driver (2013 Ford Escape).

235/55 R17, need a bit of all-terrain bite as we do get snow and winter is coming.
    Daily commute is 23 miles of mountain road past the lake.
    Escape also gets used for our interstate road trips to WI and FL visiting family.

Any body got a good recommendation?

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Whitewalls.

3. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

I put michelin AT '2 on my suburban, deep tread, 10 ply, great wet traction. It is there all terrain tire. No road noise, and nice sidewall stability. I think it's a 70k tire.
    Excellent!

4. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I put Dunlop somethings (Road Handler?) on my wife's Pilot and they seem to be pretty decent. We take it to WV a few times a year on dirt and gravel roads and it works just fine.

5. aedwards01

aedwards01 Well-Known Member

Michelin LTS M/S. Mileage, traction in rain and snow, no road noise, just a great all round tire. Best light SUV tire you can buy IMO.

6. BigBird

BigBird blah

"Michelin " - Melkman

7. Crybaby™

Crybaby™ Well-Known Member

The Tire Rack site really has some good information and comparisons. I know nothing about truck/SUV tires, but I always do my performance tire research there first

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Check out Nitto Crossteks..... I put some on my 1500 and wear has been fantastic... Made the trek from GA to Road America with them this year and they were not loud at all...Great traction on slippery boat ramps, clay and sand... Haven't had them in Snow yet...

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I've been happy with Toyo's on my Tundra. Seem to wear very well.

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Power Cup Evo 7CT Pilots?

Those kick ass! :up:

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Had some Toyo H/T's on our old Explorer and loved them. Even in the snow they worked well. Had 65K on them and they still had decent tread on them. Freakin awesome in the heavy rain, and they were pretty quiet on the highway. I would purchase them again.

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I'm running Melk's on my Grand Cherokee after the OEM Goodyear wore out. Found a decent price for 4 and mount and balance at Costco :up:

13. minman26

minman26 Well-Known Member

This. Look at Survey results for whatever category you are considering. I have yet to find these rankings to be inaccurate over the past 10 years.

14. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Thanks y'all.

15. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I've tried Goodyear Duratrecs, Hankook A/T's (forget what model) and always end up back with BFG A/T KO's. Big reason is around here I need the snowflake symbol if I don't want to have to chain up going to the mountain. I believe the Goodyears actually had this as well, but my experience with them in snow wasn't that great. The BFG's are the loudest of the group though, but the tradeoff was always worth it.

16. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I don't know if y'all are close but get in touch with Billy or Mac Massengill at Massengill Tire Service. http://www.massengilltireco.com/ They are in Benton

17. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Wow, you need to try some tires that are actually good, if you think BFs are worth wasting money on.

18. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Such as? So far they've worked the best for my uses. I'm all ears though.

19. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Out of 7 different brands on the front of my 98 GMC 1500 [255/45/17's] the BFG's have by far been the best. That's a street tire though no offroad what so ever.....

20. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I've had Michelin LTX and Bridgestone Duravis M773 on the truck. Michelins wore like iron, the 'Stones gripped great in the snow.

Put Cooper AT/3 on the van. Great traction and pretty decent wear for the load it carries.

Never had good wear or grip out of BFG.