1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All in One Smart Home Security/Lights/Thermostat/Camera System?

Discussion in 'General' started by peakpowersports, Sep 11, 2018.

1. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

I'm in the process of building a new home here and am looking for a whole house solution that is integrated into one app.

Basically I want door and window sensors that will alert my phone, and a good outdoor HD camera system that record on motion and alert me on motion, can adjust the thermostat, and control lights... perhaps even water sensors and temp sensors for alerts when I'm gone (heat goes out, sump pump quits)

I can find all of this from various vendors with their own apps and such, but I really want it all integrated into one single system. Does anyone know of any? It does not need the ability to be monitored by a third party subscription as thats not a concern for me.

Thanks in advance and GO!

2. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

You need a home automation solution. Savant, AMX, Crestron, Control4 are all able to do what you want. You need to find a good integrator to get all the various systems into 1 point of control.

We sell Savant and AMX. Savant is the only one I'm aware of that allows you to configure alerts and create your own user scenes.

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Where are you?

4. To get it all in one isn’t cheap, I’ve looked into it. Lots of alarm companies have cameras with alerts, can add water sensors etc. I have 3 separate ones (no light control but there are lots out there). Honerywell for hvac, SimpliSafe for alarm which I have water sensors with mine, think my camera is Advent or something. One thing I found when researching all this stuff. When looking at an all in one integrated system the cost of certain components skyrockets. Like SimpliSafe for example, the cameras aren’t cheap and way overpriced for what you get.

Guess it comes down to the decision of how much do you want to spend to have it all in one. To me I rarely use my hvac stuff but it’s great on your way home from a trip. Camera alerts for motion outside are usually deer for me, never had my Alarm go off but I do test it.
    I think a new home would be much easier for a solution. I’m moving into a new house next week and would love a cost effective solution if possible.

5. peakpowersports

Metro Detroit

Chris likes this.
  6. Buy a GoPro and a bunch of guns :). I lived in that area 10 years and from there so just giving you crap. I didn’t even lock my doors all the time in Clarkston.

Chris likes this.
  7. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Integrated into one system would be Alexa or a google home. I have Alexa and she controls my Philips bulbs, my Ring doorbell, Ring floodlight, and ADT alarm. I can turn on whatever alerts I want to. The outdoor cams I pay $100 a year for persistent storage.

panthercity likes this.
  8. peakpowersports

Haha I'm the same way most of the time my wife yells at me all the time to lock stuff. I'm on the northern edge of what could be considered the metro area... Eminem has 8 Mile Road, I got 28 Mile Road :)

Biggest thing is realistically making sure the kids don't get out and seeing what's going in when I'm on the road for work. Hence why I'm not super concerned with it being monitored.

I did see the Samsung Hub thingies that sounds kinda like it may work.

9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I would guess that anymore you want everything to be wireless due to the speed at which technology is moving?

10. That was my reesson as well.

11. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

I'm out in Holly if you need any help once you decide on what to install. :beer:

peakpowersports likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I just wait til SimpliSafe is having a sale and get two cameras for 99 bucks :D The 5/mo per camera for recording to the cloud is too much for me so I have two doing that. If anyone breaks in they'll go past one or both of them, the other two I have so far are just for me to check on things.

13. I may look into those. I haven’t figured out what to do in the new house yet. The SimpliSafe is good for what I need it for and never had an issue with it. I also like the fact about the phone line as internet goes down more than I’d like. To me the cameras are more of a deturnat than anything else, plus good to see what kind of creatures are roaming around. A good thief will get in and past all that stuff if they really want to but most break ins I hear of the people breaking in aren’t very good. Way I look at it is if the persons that good, as long as no one is home go ahead. It’s like traction control not being anti crash, it sure helps though.