1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All balls bearings Chinese trash?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Mran556, Jul 7, 2018.

1. Mran556

Mran556 Well-Known Member

Heard all balls bearings were poor quality compared to OEM.

Just wonderimg if its true? They're about a third the cost

Is there a better brand out there? Ive only ever ordered OEM but dont rly wanna shell out 150 bucks..

2. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

Cant reply exactly to your answer, but you could always get the part number for the bearings and buy some nice SKF ones or something.

3. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I've run them in a few bikes (headsets, wheels), no problems so far

4. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Bearings aren't created equal.

Dave at Worldwide Bearings has good stuff (actually works with the OEMs).

5. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've been using All Balls on my bikes since 2009. wheel and steering head bearings have been great. i didnt have good luck with their fork seals.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

they are cheaper and more convenient than ordering through an OEM.
    Not as good quality as a specific bearing supplier like World Wide posted above.

Schwiz likes this.
  7. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

Www.bossbearings.com I've used them before, and they stock Japanese OEM like brands. Koyo, Nachi etc....pretty cheap. Bought a set for my gsxr think it was around $50 shipped.

8. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

AllBalls are typically cheap chinese manufactured bearings. Their kits are a set of "close enough" bearings, races and seals - in their opinion. If you buy bearings and seals for a K6/7 GSXR600/750 for example, and compare the OEM to the AllBalls kit, you'll find that the inside and outside diameters of the dust seals, and the height of the bearings/races, are different from OEM. I've seen many times where the dust seal or top seal on steering head bearing kits from AllBalls are not large enough outside diameter to even truly seal the assembly, and instead just rely on the triple top to do the job intended to be done by a true seal.

I've talked directly to AllBalls and their answer is that it's "good enough". They substitute "close enough" parts in order to reduce inventory and carry less SKUs to support more applications. This is not even getting to the actual bearing "quality" issue itself.

That may be good enough for you. They are not good enough for me. Sometime there's a reason why something is cheap. Because it should be.

SPL170db, Newyork and ekraft84 like this.
  9. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

pivot works is my go to for bearings... i was the nerd in high school who dreamed of ceramic bearings for his skateboard lol... always wanted to try ceramic wheel /transmission bearings on a race bike to see if i notice it.

10. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

I was sitting here reading this, like man I'm about to share this in the group message.. jk, it was you.

11. 2Big4Bike

2Big4Bike Well-Known Member

NSK.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  12. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

As others have said, find the OEM numbers and than order quality alternatives from one of the major bearing manufacturers (SKF, Timken, NSK, etc.). One other thing to note, is never order bearings off of Ebay or other non-secure supply chain channels. Unfortunately, a staggeringly high percentage of bearings purchased through non-authorized channels are counterfeit.

Mran556 likes this.
  13. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

i've put AllBalls wheel bearings in 4 sets of K6/K7 GSXR wheels and never had an issue. they've also been in 2 of my frames and they held up better than OEM would have.

14. wmhjr

wmhjr Well-Known Member

Anecdotal information. You have not the slightest idea of whether or not those bearings held up better than OEM would have. You have an opinion that they would have. Not a fact at all. Unless you had 4 frames used identically, and under the same - 2 having OEM and 2 having All Balls - it's just a completely unsubstantiated opinion. Nonetheless, anecdotal information. Not everyone who smokes gets cancer. Not everyone who drinks a lot gets liver disease. The facts are the facts. Factually All Balls uses approximate replacements that are made from various low cost country sourcing providers. Factually I even have the deltas and pics somewhere of where the seals are just plain improper seals, and they do not even cover the gap fully between bearing and race. I can honestly say that I've not experienced problems with their wheel bearings- primarily because due to my experience with their steering head bearings and the discussion I personally had with them, I'd never even think about using them again. Let me know the next time you get a kit from All Balls that has SKF or some other high quality bearing in the kit. All Balls manufactures exactly nothing. Zero. They simply buy cheap bearings and seals, and package them. They are certainly convenient, and can help if you have some sort of weird concoction that you're trying to figure out, but they do not manufacture a single bearing or race to my knowledge, and I've never seen or heard of them using one of the known high quality providers. And again - IMHO the fact that they play with sizing just plain pisses me off. Nobody should do that without disclosing it.

emry and badmoon692008 like this.
  15. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

talk to GMD then. maybe they didnt know what they were talking about, and you know everything.

16. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Being a field service technician for NSK...I will say that I would never run anything from all balls in my vehicles of any sort. Any bearing coming out of china is garbage. Period.

Only use a tier 1 supplied bearing (NSK, SKF, FAG, TIMKEN, KOYO, NTN, etc).

Motofun352, Canadian Bacon and 5axis like this.