1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alabama Motorsports Park

Discussion in 'General' started by TD137, Jul 29, 2008.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

http://www.alabamamotorsportspark.com/

2.6 mile roadcourse planned near Mobile, AL.

Will this be added to Southeast with WERA?

Any insiders know more about the track? They say fully operational in 2010. Has construction started yet?

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

This will most likely be handled just like all the other tracks that have been planned around the US. Once the track is close to opening the gates for actual use then it will be evaluated for WERA use. Most planned tracks never get built.

Hopefully given the names involved it will get built. :up:

3. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Amen, brother.

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

We'd all like to see more track options, that's for sure. Unfortunately even if it did get built it would be slightly out of my general travel limit of <5 hours. Same thing keeps me away from Roebling.

5. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Well you are going to have to stop whining. :D

Serious note being that you are in the Nashville area, have you heard rumors of Nashville Superspeedway(or whatever they call it) building a road course next to the speedway? I had heard a rumor that there were plans(ie, blueprints) on the table for it.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

They've talked about that at Nashville since before it was built. Seeing as how they lost their Indy car date as of yesterday, I think new construction is probably not all that likely right now.

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Damn, hate to hear that. It's a really nice facility. :(

As far as I know the track here in Oak Ridge is still being pursued.

8. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I've heard rumors of that for at least six years, along with a quarter mile drag strip. You just never know about these things. Phil Wick evidently does a lot of road course stuff out there with the Mini Cooper thing he has going. I guess it's possible he's putting some pressure on them to build a purpose built road course so he doesn't have to keep going to the chiropractor so often from bouncing off those transitions. He's not getting any younger.

ETA: Whoops, I see I was way too slow typing this. Oh well...

9. lance

lance Well-Known Member

this planned project is for real it is back by dale earnhart jr, kerry earnhart and there sister and I would nt be suprised if it is not ready a little before 2010,

10. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

The ACOE has made life difficult due to wetlands issues... that's the current hold up AFAIK.

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Some things are hard to get around no matter how big the names are. :)

At least with the Oak Ridge track the locals can't bitch about it harming the environment. :p

12. hal5786

hal5786 Well-Known Member

yeah, i heard they were having land issues. no building yet. the oval track may be done by 2010 but i doubt the rest of it will.

13. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Seeing who's involved I wouldn't be surprised if the oval gets done first. I know some people who have a business near the interchange and it sounds like the process is definitively underway.

14. lightningforce9

lightningforce9 RIP GaWarrior

I was told that thousand sun motorsports park was killed by the Oak Ridge city Council

15. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

I heard a similar type of "nashville" rumor about Bristol actually :dunno....

But yeah, I can think of close to ten tracks within 5 hours of me that were "supposed" to be opening soon......... and have yet to

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That sucks. The last word we got about it(a couple of months or so back) was that it was still on. We had been told that most were onboard since it was going to be at the East TN Tech. Park.

I wouldn't be surprised though, those people refuse to let the city bring in business. I guess they think DoE is going to rebuild. :D

17. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

we got NJ Motorsports Park on the bright side