1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ait Tech Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by FED34FIRE, Jun 3, 2015.

1. FED34FIRE

FED34FIRE Well-Known Member

Are Air Tech Composite Fuel Tanks any good? Have a chance to buy one new for a great price. I have heard they can be a fire risk though. Are they worth the weight savings? Trying to lighten up a heavy vintage bike. Looking at race wheels also, possible Dymags.

2. Yamaha179

Yamaha179 Well-Known Member

What bike are you building? Sakis Vasilopoulos makes some very nice 'glass parts for two strokes, mostly Yamaha's, including fuel tanks. His are reportedly race gas leak proof and I guess they are because he uses them on his replica TR3. I have sold his seats to several customers and the quality is first rate and cheaper than Air Tech. I don't know if he makes parts for other bikes but you could call him: 561 313-0907.
    Lyn Garland

3. JNSRacing

JNSRacing Well-Known Member

I would also be interested in feedback on these tanks - before I sold my F2 race bike, the next step in my diet program was going to possibly be an AirTech tank.
    For the F2, it's roughly a 10 lb. weight savings, and that would sure be felt in the flickability department, as it sits so high. :up:

Even though I'm racing a newer bike now (CBR 600RR), in a GT Unlimited class, I love the F2/F3 bikes, and will keep building and flipping them.
    I'll definitely build another F2 racer in the future, so what I'm curious about is whether these tanks are ready to paint-and-go, with fittings ready for connecting to the petcock, and gas cap, or if they require some work, like lining the tank, glassing in fittings for the petcock, running vent and overflow hoses, etc.

They're definitely pricey, at over $600 for the F2 tank, but I think it would be fun one day, to see just how light I could get an F2 - my last racer was just a smidge over 390 lb., full of fuel and ready to go.

Fed34Fire, what bike are you working on? Something tells me an F2/F3 as well, since I know you can still get Dymags for these bikes, and that was on my "ultimate" F2 Superbike dream list as well! :D

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

YZF750?

5. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

bought a tr500 rep tank for my suzuki from airtech. so far so good. i think the concern for risk of fire is cause the tank wont dent if theres a impact, thell just crack and leak fuel

6. JNSRacing

JNSRacing Well-Known Member

Agreed, that is exactly the risk... how much weight did you shave with the swap?

7. cyclocrossfool

cyclocrossfool Well-Known Member

maybe 10 lbs. doesnt hold much fuel thou. and what it does hold is down low in the tank. this and the petcock mean you have to run/race it on "reserve" cause "on" gives you about a gallon.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If you do run a composite tank I'd suggest foam in the tank - that way if it does split you don't have a huge gush of fuel out of the crack potentially soaking you (been there seen it happen, not good even with no fire).

9. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

+1 on Sakis Vasilopoulos' tanks. 'dude makes some damn fine tanks for a VERY reasonable price. ...and for Hondas too. :up:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  10. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

oh my goodness that is a lovely lovely bike

11. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

I use a Sakis tank and Vesco big butt seat on my TR3 replica. Super quality. No problems after 7-8 years. And he's a great guy. And he made mine 4 inches shorter and the seat pan 4 inches longer to get weight on the front. Win, win, win.

12. FED34FIRE

Yep, it's coming along slowly. Having a lot of issues with my health past few years.

13. FED34FIRE

That's my main concern. How do they hold up on a crash which we all know is going to happen. On average they seem to save between 7 - 10 lbs. Is it worth it? :confused:

14. britx303

Damn man,sorry to hear that.Hope to see you out there sometime.Best wishes on the health!

15. FED34FIRE

I;m getting ready to send my body work out for paint and I came across a local guy who has a brand new never used one. My oem tank is getting surface rust on the lower part of the tank inside of the frame. I figured I;m going all out on this bike so why not. The price is less than a used oem one on eBay. If it is too risky and possibly not race legal then it isn't worth it. Especially if someone could end up injured or worst. I going to run race wheels and all aftermarket rotors, etc so the "Un-Sprung Weight" is taken care of. Great handling bike but very heavy. Figured that would be a good place to start losing weight on top. I know certain R6' had an issue with fire even with the oem tank because they scraped on their sides.

Do they crack easily or become brittle over time from the fuel and or environment?

16. FED34FIRE

Thanks, got some rare disease that effects certain muscles in my face and now spreading. Just had surgery for a biopsy. Been dealing with this for nearly 20 years. Now it is getting worst. I thought I just had a problem with grinding my teeth at night but it turns out to be muscle abnormalities and cysts. Waiting on the next surgery.

I really miss racing and everybody at WERA. Would like to get back out there soon.

17. FED34FIRE

Cool. Any pics of the TR3 rep? One of my favorite Yam's ever. Would like to have one. Pricy now. Was going to build an RD into a rep but couldn't find a nice one so I ended up doing the YZF750R instead.

18. FED34FIRE

94 YZF750R as a Factory Team AMA Superbike Replica.

19. britx303

How you liking the YZF over the 400?

20. FED34FIRE

94 YZF750R. Yes, you can get dymags for a lot of bikes through dealers in England and also Dealers on eBay.

Hopefully I will have mine by the end of the summer. Have to save up as they are around $3000 for a complete set with sprockets, bearings, and spacers. They even can set them up so you can run any brake rotors that are made for your bike including oem. Running EBC floaters and had all of my calipers rebuilt and refinnished in the Yamaha Gold they used on the FZR's. Hel brake lines and Nissin Master Cylinders.