1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag vs Airvest

Discussion in 'General' started by ajcjr, Dec 12, 2018.

1. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

in tried researching this subject but I did not find anything. I was looking at either the helite gp vest or astars airbag system. I know one is a teather system and one is not, any pros or cons to either? Im just looking for some reviews from people who may have used both or know of others who have. They both seem like great options.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

Which one does Marc Marquez, Cameron Beaubier, etc etc... use?

;)

I like my AStars Tech Air.

ajcjr likes this.
  3. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

I have a Helite. I've had it for probably about 6 months. Just bought a DAir suit because they were 1350$ from RevZilla and I felt like that was best deal I was going to see for a long time.
    I have not crashed in either so can't tell you about that.

Helite - I like it. Barely notice that I'm wearing it. Love the fact that a reload is $25 and I can do it myself. CE chest and back are integrated into it. I've been very happy with it so far.
    On down side - not sure that it'll deploy when I crash at low speed. I ride 300 at kart track a lot. Typical crash is lowside at 30mph probably.a Probably deal but I wouldn't mind it inflating if I go down to have another layer of protection, especially at $25 for recharge. This being said, I don't think either of the integrated air would deploy either.
    Also, I forget tether sometimes. It's infrequently but I've done it handful of times.

D-Air - love it all in theory. Suit is very nice and seems like high level of protection even without air. Has lap timer integrated. Don't like that recharge sounds like it takes months and it's $300. Charging a suit seems weird. Doesn't provide same amount of coverage as A* or Helite.

Price being equal, I would have gone with A* but the Dainese was about half the price. Helite is more practical in my mind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

4. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

Do they use the same exact one? I thought they had a different version.

Thanks for the replies!

5. 23103a

23103a Well-Known Member

I believe they are extremely similar, but it's hard to find definitive information on how/if they differ. The quick and easy refill of the Helite sounds awesome, but I like that A* has 10 years of professional race testing. I have found the Tech Air to be extremely easy to use, as well (in terms of install, switching between race/street mode, etc.)

ajcjr likes this.
  6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I have the Hit-air vest. Right now, I just can’t justify almost $5k for a new high end RS Taichi suit and A-stars system.

Also at the price you listed, I don’t think your A-stars suit includes the air bag system unless you are really getting an amazing deal.

I don’t like the A-Stars suits and I am not stepping down in suit quality to get an integrated air bag.

If the high end Taichi suit and air bag come down close to $3k, I would seriously consider one.

ToofPic and ajcjr like this.
  7. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

I have done a shit ton of research on this before I elected to go with the RS1 Hit air vest. I was really tempted to pull the trigger on a Dainese Misano given the great prices, but no way in hell I'm paying 300 plus waiting for months to get it recharged. Not to mention if Dainese choose to repair leather scuffs and you don't want it repaired well then you're out of luck since they won't release the suit unless they deem it safe and that is entirely up to their discretion. That usually adds to the 300 pushig up to 400+ at times.

For now, I think the most practical option with the best value is an external vest like the HIT or Helite.

8. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

If that's in response to me, the $1350 was for Dainese Misano D-Air. It comes integrated with the air bag in it. Alpinestars were closer to $2500 because vest was $1100 and then you have to buy suit.

2blueYam likes this.
  9. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

The one they get for free.

track wagon, 23103a, cpettit and 2 others like this.
  10. justjohn620

justjohn620 Well-Known Member

What's wrong with this combo under 3? Suit should be the highest off the shelf tech-air compatable they offer.

https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/rs-taichi-nxl306-gp-wrx-r306-race-suit-tech-air-compatible/
    https://www.sportbiketrackgear.com/alpinestars-tech-air-race-airbag-system/

BROsiah and ajcjr like this.
  11. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I prefer to wear a separate back/chest protector and not have an integrated model. That plus price and the ability to reuse the vest until it is no longer usable (more than 2 crashes without sending it back) make me continue to use the Hit Air.

12. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

13. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

Those guys use the next gen version that had hip protection added. But from moto 2 down to ama all use the production vest that anyone can buy.

14. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

I read about Astars suits blowing out , are those racers using the same suit as well as the production ones. Ill spend more on safety than for a bike, if the stuff warrants it.

15. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

The suits are all custom. There will be a new higher end suit coming out soon though.

16. Subaruzi

Subaruzi Total hack

I believe this is why the Dainese suits are being sold at half price. They're trying to get rid of old stock for the newest technology

17. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

If you see an Astar suit (and even some others brands like Mithos etc) on a Moto2/3 rider, then most likely he’s using an off the shelf Astar vest.

ajcjr likes this.
  18. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I just bought a Helite GP. I was really interested in the AStar and DAir suits on sale but I got a new suit last year so I couldn't justify the extra cost. I like to idea of self recharge as well.

19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The $1700 is the Brazilian cow hide. I am not taking a step down from the Japanese leather RS Taichi I have now just to add an integrated airbag to replace my HitAir.

Sorry on the mix up about the less expensive suit. I had no idea you could get an airbag suit anywhere near that cheap.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

They're awfully proud of that thing.