1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Airbag Vests?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by FastByKids, Oct 28, 2021.

1. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Last weekend quite a few racers were wearing the airbag vests with the pull string mounted to the bike. As I have three rippers still growing a full airbag suite just is not in the budget.

What system are the the racers using? Where are they being purchased? Where is everyone buying the Co2 inflators.

If they accidentally go off (ie kid gets off bike without removing lanyard) how hard are they to repack and recharge?

How well do they hold up to the abuses of a off?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
  2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you can adjust the tether length to suit...
    Helite is one mfg

FastByKids likes this.
  3. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I launched myself with my Helite GP vest and it held up just fine. Broke my wrist on that crash however there was nothing the airbag could've done.

I have a friend that regularly smacks himself on his FS450 on the kart track. He uses the same vest and it definitely has saved his ass a couple times.

Check the Facebook marketplace for them if not, go to Helite directly. They're in Reno, NV.

FastByKids likes this.
  4. FastByKids

So after it inflated you were able to repack and change out the canister for further uses?

5. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I have a Helite GP. I have had it go off when I was taken out in an endurance race and it worked a charm. Got back to the pits, swapped a new canister, back ready to roll. It is definitely more cumbersome than with it off though, no denying that. And it doesn't flow any air at all. So that sucks too.

6. FastByKids

Would you say the vest hindered correct BP when flicking the bikes in and out of turns?

7. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ well, there is no such thing as correct BP, so I can't really answer that directly as each bike, condition, track, person, etc. etc. etc. will have a BP that works for their situation. But what I can say is that did require me to slightly change the way I moved simply because there was another layer of leather and padding between me and the bike - i.e. when leaned off the inside of the bike the vest rubbed the tank in a way that didn't happen when I did not have it on - very very minor but none the less it was there.

FastByKids likes this.
  8. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

I've used a Hit Air vest for last few years, but have never had it deploy. It does add a little bit of extra padding, but once I'm on the bike I never notice it.

Obviously can't speak to protection or repacking process out of personal experience.

I'll be swapping to a full A* Tech Air suit here shortly for the additional, built in protection.

FastByKids likes this.
  9. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

My only feedback is to not consider safety related equipment as part of a variable or discretionary budget. I count that as fixed costs as the cost of entry. The probabilities and expected costs of injuries likely make air bags a good investment as far as race expenses go. That's my math for my body and my family. Your math might be a little different.

Mike Lafayette likes this.
  10. FastByKids

My math equates to three rippers who grow out of a suite twice a year. And these days getting anything custom in a timely manner might render the suit useless if not received in a timely manner before the next growth spurt hits.

These vests seem perfect for my predicament. :D

11. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Two things I won’t race without… airbag suit and tire warmers…. :crackup:

(I’m just fooling, couldn’t help myself :beer:)

12. FastByKids

I was actually going to poke fun at that but some serious butthurt in that other thread.

We always have sponsorship opportunities available! :clap:

13. BlueR32

BlueR32 Well-Known Member

I have a Hit-Air and have had it deploy several times. It has saved me from serious injury every time. Easy to replace CO2 cartridge. I won't ride anywhere without it...road or track. I don't even notice it over my suit.
    Cheap insurance.

Ducati89 and FastByKids like this.
  14. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

My son is 12 and rides track with a vest. Twice this year he's deployed it, and both times we just put in a new co2 cartridge and off he went. The tether has to be pulled pretty hard to cause an inflation, definitely won't happen by just forgetting to unclip when getting off the bike.

R/T Performance and FastByKids like this.
  15. Brutal

Brutal Well-Known Member

I use a Ixon air vest and had to use it once in a wet highside, it was the most painless crash ive ever had and didnt even realise the airbag went off, i wont ride without one now.

You can reset it with the app on the phone after its been used and I always carry a spare canister.

Peter Hively and FastByKids like this.
  16. tl1098

tl1098 Well-Known Member

I had a Hit Air vest,low sided entrance turn 3 at pitt race ,vest didn't deploy as I did not come off the bike,the only thing left of the vest is the cartridge
    and the deploy mechanism and 3 extra tethers.The vest was completely shredded,500 bucks later and broken scapula in two places.My next vest will be a tech
    air 5 worn inside my suit. Obviously the vest only works if it deploys,I'll spend the extra 250.00 on the tech air.BTW anybody interested in a Hit air parts vest?;)

17. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

is it the rear tether rs race vest? pm inbound

18. R/T Performance

R/T Performance Well-Known Member

I run the hit air rs Race vest(rear teather). i have only deployed mine once but a few friends have deployed theres there easy to repack they do a great job stablizing your head and neck often saving your helmet.
    Takes about 5 minutes to repack as long as you don't tear the bladder. if it rips it's trash.
    Justin Levy Trackside parts sells them at the best price and normally has all sizes and colors in stock

19. FastByKids

One last questions.

Do you guys use suits without the race hump?

I’m doing some measurement and that hump seems to be in the way.

20. Rene Bucek

Rene Bucek Well-Known Member

Admittedly my son complains sometimes about the hump being in the way a bit. His suit for next year has a smaller hump so he should be fine. Not sure that was of any help, but it does fit on his suit and under the hump.

FastByKids likes this.