1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air purifier/filters and allergies

Discussion in 'General' started by Steak Travis, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

Just got an allergy test for the first time and I'm allergic to some molds and grasses. Went in to get it because I've been getting sick a lot lately and it was obviously due to mold in my room. Every time it rains, rain leaks through the window and the floor gets soaked. I'll get that fixed eventually, just don't feel like moving out, tearing up the floor, and tearing up the wood deck outside my window.

But onto my question, Anyone have any experience with air purifiers/filters? I saw something about HEPA filters being pretty good. Do they help your allergies enough to pay the cost for one of the less expensive ones? If they do help I'll go ahead and pay for it because it'll be a lot less expensive than going to the doctor every two weeks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing will fix the mold in the room except fixing the leak properly. All the filtering in the world won't matter.

3. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Like Mongo said, Fix the problem before you screw with an air filter.

Now with that being said, we bought one of those honeywell stand up ion hepa jobs from Home Depot. Actually, I didn't buy it, I thought it was a scam. My GF bought it.

Anyhow, I changed the filters in it last month after ~6months use every nite before bed and while sleeping. Thing had so much shit in the prefilters it left piles on the floor when I took it out.

FWIW, we let our 2 dogs sleep in the bedroom, so there's a lot of "fluff" in the air.

4. volcomrr

volcomrr BUDDY

I've been having chronic shortness of breath for about 13 months now and have been to several doctors to figure it out, and nothing yet. I'll be getting the allergy test next wednesday, my dad actually gave me this coupon for one of the HEPA filters cause I have indoor dogs too.