1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air Density

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by sprockett, Jun 12, 2002.

1. sprockett

sprockett Member

Please help me! I'm a little confused over Relative Air Density formula. I purchased a 1994 TZ 125 and the privious owner was kind enough to give me his baseline data. He uses Temperature in Celsius, Barometer in Hg, Moisture number ( from a supplied ref. chart based upon air temp.), and Relative Humidity. He then factored these with the listed formula of: Air Density (Kg/m3). 1st Example: 2nd Example

Temp- 17C 25C
    Barometer- 29.23 29.35
    Moisture #- 14.54 23.78
    Realtive Humidity 0.65 0.31

Air Density = 1.17387701 Air Density 1.1503681

What are the units of measurments in his formula RAD= (Kg/m3)?
    While searching for an answer I found several equations for RAD. but not this one. Because he crossed ref. his air density figures with a Longacre air density gauge, ( which he gave me), and his jetting set up, a would like to continue with his method and process. Looking at the piston and head his jetting appears to be right on the money. He lives out of state and I have not been able to get in contact with him. Thanks for any help that you can provide!

2. C-Par

C-Par Well-Known Member

Those Air Density Gages are fancy barometers. They are supposed to be density ratios compared to Aid density at STP.

For air density you need Pressure and T, units depend on which
    type SI or english you use. RH is also factored in the equation but not as critical as P or T.

The equations are not that bad and I think seach weather.com
    they have the equations.

I made charts and stuff.

3. Stu

Stu Country Member

I've done an excel spreadsheet that will give this exact result for you, I can just tell you the formula for the RAD, but it's no use without a 'lookup' table for the MN,(moisture number) . Let me know if you want me to e mail it to you. It would be fairly easy to transfer to paper and do at the track with a calculator, if you havent got a laptop.

4. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

Instead of a Caculator.. I have a program for the Palm Piliot that when you put in the Humity, Temp and Barometor you get AIr density.. If you have a palm, I can send it to you.. If you don't have a palm Buy one and use it to track cost, schedual, gearing, and other important info.

-Lee
    [email protected]